Chatter, Lumpy and Noisy

Aleskoda

Morning Guys, 

Just started to notice mainly in these cold conditions my 2002 1.9 SDI is very chattery and lumpy when in gear 1/2 doing 5/10 mph then it just goes away. Could this be down to the cold weather, OR is it related to my clutch, at the moment it is a little high on the pedal and thinking It is a job worth doing soon possibly in the next few month (any clutch kit recommendations would be welcomed). 

1.9 SDI Comfort - Not Sure If it has a DMF tho ... 

Cheers, Alex

2 minutes ago, octyal said:

SDI doesn't have a DMF. What do you mean exactly? Is the engine spluttering and lumpy, or is the clutch juddering as you pull away?

No clutch judder or feedback thru the pedal. Engine just seems a bit spluttery that is all

Edited by Aleskoda

Just now, octyal said:

When was the fuel filter last changed? Sounds like a cold start issue. Does it take a long time to start when left overnight?

filter was recently serviced november '17 as was a full service, oil air cabin, etc. as long as I warm the glow plugs a few times, it starts first time

2 minutes ago, Aleskoda said:

filter was recently serviced november '17 as was a full service, oil air cabin, etc. as long as I warm the glow plugs a few times, it starts first time

That could be your problem then. You should only need to use the glow plugs once on a diesel, if you are having to use them a few times, then you may have a dodgy plug, best thing to do would be to get the glow plug system tested. Advice is was given years ago (by an NGK rep and an ex Lucas employee) was to wait for the click from the relay after the light has gone out before starting the car, as that is when the glow plugs are at max temperature.

1 minute ago, octyal said:

That could be your problem then. You should only need to use the glow plugs once on a diesel, if you are having to use them a few times, then you may have a dodgy plug, best thing to do would be to get the glow plug system tested. Advice is was given years ago (by an NGK rep and an ex Lucas employee) was to wait for the click from the relay after the light has gone out before starting the car, as that is when the glow plugs are at max temperature.

oh right, nice one, I am heading out today I will give this a test and let you know. Do you have any recommendations for plugs to use, cheers. 

NGK, Beru, Denso whatever is available will do the job. I would start soaking them in wd40 every day for a week before changing them to save any hassle with them being stuck.

1 hour ago, JWvrs25 said:

NGK, Beru, Denso whatever is available will do the job. I would start soaking them in wd40 every day for a week before changing them to save any hassle with them being stuck.

+1 on the NGK (or Bosch) - if you are not confident enough to do the job yourself, then get a garage to do it. At least that way, if one does snap, they will have to sort it out :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 09:50, octyal said:

SDI doesn't have a DMF. What do you mean exactly? Is the engine spluttering and lumpy, or is the clutch juddering as you pull away?

could it be timing belt although there is no wining noise like a belt slipping?

On 07/02/2018 at 20:19, Aleskoda said:

could it be timing belt although there is no wining noise like a belt slipping?

Timing belt tends to be a it works or breaks the engine when failing type of thing.

Could possibly be a timing problem. Cold weather and marginal timing would make it harder to start and run until it warms a bit.