Amundsen+ rebooting?

Gyp

The Amundsen+ in my Yeti has taken to restarting itself occasionally. It has done it twice during my one hour drive this morning.

The radio has behaved faultlessly until now.

I updated the maps from V4 to V10 a couple of weeks go (updated from SD card) and it's only started rebooting since. I'd be astonished if this was the cause.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Gyp said:

I updated the maps from V4 to V10 a couple of weeks go (updated from SD card) and it's only started rebooting since. I'd be astonished if this was the cause.

Any thoughts?

Downgrade the maps and see if the fault clears. First thing I'd try.

I am having the same problem.  Finished Installing V10  on Saturday and have had several reboots since then whilst CD playing, radio and SD card music. Normally first reboot 10 minutes after switch on, then at longer intervals afterwards. I do not have the original V6 SD card.  I hope you find something out.

23 minutes ago, djg123 said:

I am having the same problem.  Finished Installing V10  on Saturday and have had several reboots since then whilst CD playing, radio and SD card music. Normally first reboot 10 minutes after switch on, then at longer intervals afterwards. I do not have the original V6 SD card.  I hope you find something out.

Sounds like the V10 map updates should be withdrawn until they are fixed:wall:

I don't think it's the maps which are the problem. All the issues I've come across appear to be cheap cards from Ebay, or poor clone copies downloaded from somewhere.

Similar scenario with VCDS. Genuine stuff works fine, but people who buy copied cables and software complain when it doesn't work correctly.

You may well be right.  I have now contacted the seller, via ebay and if there is no satisfactory outcome I will publish the sellers name and address to warn others not to deal with them.  I will also expect to get a refund via Ebay and Paypal of course. 

35 minutes ago, djg123 said:

On 20/01/2018 at 09:15, Gyp said:

36 minutes ago, djg123 said:

II have now contacted the seller, via ebay and if there is no satisfactory outcome I will publish the sellers name and address to warn others not to deal with them.  I will also expect to get a refund via Ebay and Paypal of course. 

I wonder where Gyp bought his V10 maps from???

Mine came from eBay too.

I've asked the seller to assure me that the card is genuine VAG, and he's instead sent me a replacement card that I'll install later this week. Somehow I don't hold out much hope.

I'll be requiring a refund if it doesn't sort it, however i suspect any costs incurred in rectifying will fall to me however much it pains me. I did what i could to buy what I thought was a genuine map upgrade

VW-Skoda-Seat-RNS-315-SD-Card-Navigation-Map-V10-AZ-Europe-West-amp-UK-2018

Mine came from Ireland.  The seller is sending me a new one tomorrow.  The original looks exactly like Gyp's so I too am fearing the worst.  The seller had 30 very good reviews.  Surely he didn't write all of them himself!

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated my Amundsen+  satnav with the new V10 SD card sent from the seller in Ireland.  So far I have had no reboots, but have not really had any longer journeys to be convinced it has fully rectified the problem.  The update was completed in a significantly shorter time than with the original card so there is a difference between them.  I will post an update when I am sure of the outcome.

3 hours ago, djg123 said:

I have updated my Amundsen+  satnav with the new V10 SD card sent from the seller in Ireland.  So far I have had no reboots, but have not really had any longer journeys to be convinced it has fully rectified the problem.  The update was completed in a significantly shorter time than with the original card so there is a difference between them.  I will post an update when I am sure of the outcome.

Entirely possible he sent you a V9 maps version on a V10 card, thereby avoiding the issue.

Quite possible, I agree. Although after the update my satnav system information reads "Western Europe  V10".  I will have to accept a successful V9 update,if indeed that is what it is, it being more up-to-date than my original V6 data. 

Just how up-to-date are the latest versions?  There is so much data to include, surely even the "latest" must contain redundant information and new roads that have yet to be notified to and included by the database compilers?  The POI information, after this update, whilst being different to my V6 data, certainly includes Inns and restaurants that have been closed for several years. 

On 2/2/2018 at 15:20, Rustynuts said:

Entirely possible he sent you a V9 maps version on a V10 card, thereby avoiding the issue.

On 2/2/2018 at 12:13, djg123 said:

Still rebooting , I'm afraid.  On a 50 minute journey a reboot occurred 4 times whilst playing a CD.  On the return journey, twice.  Since then only short journeys and no reboots.

I will contact the seller again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I had a new RNS315 fitted under warranty at a VW main dealer. they supplied V10 maps for me to load on.
Once loaded i had exactly the same issue you experienced. every 5-10 minutes the system would reboot.

Took the car back to VW today for them to check it out, I advised them that it is likely to be an issue with the map updates, as i had read this thread when i started noticing the problem.

They have just called me to say they have contacted VW tech team and they have acknowledged there is indeed a software bug in the V10 map update that affects RNS315 units. They are working on a software patch/fix, but are unsure when this will be released.

Good to have the problem confirmed i guess. But with a unit that will reboot all the time until a fixed is released (unless i buy the V9 card)

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, rmd77.  I have been sent a third SD card from Ireland. which they assure me has been checked as OK, but after your news from VW I have no expectation that it will work (the update is in progress at the moment).  At this point I have no V9 card, or indeed a V6 card with which data the unit was loaded with when i bought the Yeti.

I may have to procure a V9 card.  I'll see what the seller in Ireland says.

On 2/23/2018 at 11:49, djg123 said:

Thanks for the info, rmd77.  I have been sent a third SD card from Ireland. which they assure me has been checked as OK, but after your news from VW I have no expectation that it will work (the update is in progress at the moment).  At this point I have no V9 card, or indeed a V6 card with which data the unit was loaded with when i bought the Yeti.

I may have to procure a V9 card.  I'll see what the seller in Ireland says.

Was it from satnav_ukdirect by any chance?