Amundsen+ rebooting?

Gyp

Hi Gyp,  it was from satnav_ukdirect as you guessed.  The update from the third V10 card finished OK.  I then took the Yeti for an 80 minute drive and had no re-boots at all.  I will see what happens in the next few days.  How did you get on?

• 2 weeks later...

My Amundsen+ dates from early 2014 and came with V5 maps installed (no SD card). I bought a V10 from eBay (Lithuania) but it would not install. The V10 maps would run direct from the SD card but the system kept rebooting. I contacted the eBay seller who sent me a V9 SD card without any quibble.. This card installed perfectly and runs fine. The install process is a bit scary as the SD card deletes your original factory-installed maps, so you are left with nothing installed if you attempt to load the buggy V10. 

The quality of the Amundsen+ satnav is rather poor compared with the free App 'Waze' that will run on your mobile phone.

And as for the VW group charging £200 for an SD card map upgrade, well that's bonkers, no wonder eBay is worth a go at £30.          

On 2/25/2018 at 13:16, djg123 said:

Hi Gyp,  it was from satnav_ukdirect as you guessed.  The update from the third V10 card finished OK.  I then took the Yeti for an 80 minute drive and had no re-boots at all.  I will see what happens in the next few days.  How did you get on?

All 3 V10 cards left me with a rebooting system but regressing to V9 is OK.

At satnav_ukdirect's request, I have returned the V10 cards. I've noticed that he's no longer selling the V10 cards (or anything else for that matter).

A frustrating few weeks, but at least I've moved from V4 to V9 and have a working system

On 3/5/2018 at 16:56, trixtrains said:

The quality of the Amundsen+ satnav is rather poor compared with the free App 'Waze' that will run on your mobile phone.

Not entirely surprising when the Waze app is regularly being updated along with the hardware that it's running on, whereas the Amundsen would have been baselined well in advance of the 2009 launch.

When I bought my Garmin 2610 in 2004 it was well over £1000 and the map costs were in the £100s. The Garmin Driveluxe 50 that I bought last year is hugely better and cost me £129 new with free lifetime maps. Things move on.

The Skoda price for maps is high, but it will be based on the deal they did with the map suppliers 10 years or so ago. I suspect (though have no proof) that the reason the ones on eBay are £30 not £200 is because people have now found a way of counterfeiting them.

Edited by Gyp

• 2 weeks later...

I may have a solution to the v10 reboot issue, but more data is required to be sure.

I did a factory reset on the unit and it's hasn't rebooted once in over an hour of use. 

I'll keep testing, but can those of you with the reboot problem perform factory reset on you RNS 315 and report the result ? 

2018-03-18 002.JPG

Edited by gjscott

20 hours ago, Polypsodd said:

Hi, I tried this, with no luck I'm afraid.

Could you share your RNS software and hardware versions, we may see why resetting has appeared to help me and not you:

From my RNS 315: 

PART NUMBER 3T00335192N
SOFTWARE VERSION 0407
SYSTEM HARDWARE VERSION H72

A good read here if you've not already seen it:

https://www.gpspower.net/volkswagen-seat-skoda/347304-rns-315-rebooting-constantly-after-v10-map-update.html

Can everyone who has upgraded to V10 share their hardware and software versions, and state if they have a reboot problem or not. It may show why some have issues and others don't.
Additionally do traffic reports work after the V10 upgrade?

My systems was rebooting but after a factory reset on the unit I haven't seen another reboot. Still testing. 

System Data - V10.jpg

Edited by gjscott

Hi,  My last post on this subject was on 25th February, so here is an update.  After using my third v10 sd card to update the system and after an 80 minute drive without a reboot and then a further week of driving without a reboot I thought the problem had been cured, but, you guessed it, the reboots started again, albeit infrequently.

I had a three hour drive to a holiday destination and the reboot occurred only once.  On the return journey, five reboots of the satnav, sometimes with the destination address lost, other times the route would continue where 

To continue : it had been interrupted by the reboot.  I tried the "factory reset" without success as it rebooted within a few minutes of doing so.  I have yet to contact satnav_ukdirect , ebay, or paypal to see what they say and am just tolerating the infrequent but annoying reboots.

My versions are   Part number                           3T0035197A

Software version                    0500

System hardware version     H80

the rest is identical to gjscott illustration

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow update. This is from March 23rd. 

For 
four days I didn't have a single reboot, then this morning had 3 in 20 minutes. 

Looks like my factory reset didn't fix it. 

Installing V9 now, which was immediately provided free of charge from satnavdisc where I'd bought V10.

Update 18th April, V9 is running perfectly. 

Edited by gjscott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  I contacted "satnav_ukdirect" and asked for a refund or a V9 sd card and unsurprisingly received a V9 card by return post.  I installed V9 on the 6th April and have not had a reboot since doing so.  I have not updated before due to having done only short local journeys and having been on holiday for eight days without the car.

However, twelve days with no problems, whilst not conclusive, seems pretty hopeful.

• 1 month later...
On 26/04/2018 at 19:04, djg123 said:

Hi  I contacted "satnav_ukdirect" and asked for a refund or a V9 sd card and unsurprisingly received a V9 card by return post.  I installed V9 on the 6th April and have not had a reboot since doing so.  I have not updated before due to having done only short local journeys and having been on holiday for eight days without the car.

However, twelve days with no problems, whilst not conclusive, seems pretty hopeful.

How are you getting on with the update? I'm looking to update mine and just wondering if you've stopped the problem by putting V9 on instead of V10

Gazr,  my "update" or regression to V9 has completely cured the reboot problem it seems.  I am inclined to believe that the original V10 sd card produced by Volkswagen was faulty and therefore every copy is also faulty.  I have found this V9 data to be considerably more up to date than my V6 data that came with the car.

• Thanks 1

Good news. How long does it take to update? Do u need to have the car running whilst it's doing it or just put the SD card in and leave it.

Whilst my Yeti has now gone, i can confirm that the V9 completely cured my problem too.

I discovered that the "leave it in and it'll pick up where it left off" approach wasn't entirely successful and it would sometimes start again, so on my final successful V9 install I did it on a long drive (2 hours or so) where luckily it completed just before the end so I could actually set the destination of where I was heading before I got there :-)

My update to V9 took 2-3 hrs. I left the SD card in its slot and the update continued each time I drove anywhere.  I did not leave the satnav on whilst the engine was not running so the update was done in at least four stages and worked OK for me.

• 1 month later...

I have had issues with this for a while now - I even started a thread in another forum to see if anyone else has had the same issues and it appears many 315 users have the same problem.

It seems the firmware of the unit is irrelevant. I managed to get an upgrade for mine which flashed successfully however the unit was rebooting as soon as V10 maps were running. (whether from card or installed to thew system)

Strangely enough this problem only seems top be affecting UK users and appears to be an issue with the V10 UK map. I have not contacted VW personally but others have reported that VW has acknowledged an issue with V10 and is working on a fix however not sure if there is any truth in this or not.

I can also confirm returning to V9 works without issue so for me its a case or waiting to see if any update is released or even waiting it out to see if V11 resolves the problem whenever that may be released.