Can not find a replacement for dear old Yeti

paco

Hmm...unfortunately neither of the DSGs are the model I'm looking for (and one of them is not a diesel).

I'm not seeing a glut out there, but I'll keep looking.  I might have to relax my criteria a bit - a low-mileage SE L might be OK instead of the SE L Drive (especially if it's cheaper!)  The heated front windscreen is not a must-have by any means, though the DAB radio would be useful if/when FM gets turned off.  A spare wheel is essential for me but that can be retro-fitted (I've already got a spare wheel in my current Yeti, and the kit for the non-spare-wheel boot floor for it, so all I'd need to get would be the spare wheel kit for the FL boot).

There is no glut, it is April and they have managed to get rid of the Unregistered Yeti that came into the UK in 2018 and registered before April the ones that were left.

They were discontinued months back and just what was left was available.

On 06/04/2018 at 16:20, AwaoffSki said:

There is no glut

OK, "glut" was an exaggeration but I was going by [my interpretation of] your comment on 5/4/2018 at 13:32: "As to replacements for a Yeti for around 20 grand that would seem to be the unsold Yeti on offer,  but then they are only diesel ones so seem to be not selling like hot cakes."  I read that as implying that there should be lots of diesel Drive edition Yetis sitting around waiting to be bought, which has not been my experience (though I'll admit that my requirements are fairly specific).

There do seem to be some Drive editions still trickling through: a couple more SE L Drive 4x4 DSGs popped up on Skoda's 'used' list at the weekend.  However, I have now found and put a deposit down on a ridiculously low mileage 67 plate SE L 4x4 DSG, at several thousand less than the delivery mileage Drives that are being listed.  Only thing it doesn't have that the SE L Drive has is a heated windscreen - but that's something I've lived without for my whole life so far so fingers crossed I'll be able to cope...

There are currently 100+ Drive versions on Yeti available on autotrader, but obviously price/condition/location may not suit

Some of these are also on Skoda own used website, and also on other sites like Parkers and Motors

SE Drive : 9 diesel auto, 27 diesel manual, 8 petrol auto, 8 petrol manual

SE L Drive : 6 diesel auto, 33 diesel manual, 20 petrol auto, 4 petrol manual

I guess once these are sold, many wont come back on market for many years as no obvious replacement exists, so owners may hang on to them.

I’ve been looking  around with the idea of changing from the  diesel yeti to petrol,thinking it would be easy but not the case, (says a lot for the yeti) a MAZDA CX3 ,great quality ,great 2.0 petrol but too small in the rear,bit claustafobic for me.  test drove the Honda HRV good interior space and headroom with sunroof,good drive and finish But the 1.5 vtec,gutless and noisey to say the least is nowhere near what I remember after owning 2x the 1.6 vti.and was a delight to get back in the yeti .have looked and sat in the Arona,bit low and gloomy interior ditto the Kona.karrot great finish but a bit too big for me as was the Mazda CX-5,no sunroof option(which is of a high priority for me)I love sunroofs.so just had a test drive in a Kia Soul sport with dsg (I’m not an auto fan) well until NOW.and after an hour earlier driving the gutless noisy Honda hrv this was an absolute delight.a firm ride yes but such a smooth and quiet engine with many  more extras than the L & K  can u believe but funny enough NO wiper rain censor,auto parking (only used mine once) and heated windscreen (never used)and anti dazzle wing mirror (very handy would miss)so swings and roundabouts.i owned a Kia Soul in 2009 and PX for the Octavia Blackline VRS (much better finish)but the quality improvements make it more than a match for most,and before anybody mentions it mpg will not be great but only doing 6000 miles a year I could live with it and the 200 Bhp ,.I didn’t buy the Yeti for its mpg but the great power/torque /finesse of the diesel ,so after ruling out some because the Yeti is a hard Motor to beat I now realise why other yeti owners are finding it hard to replace and think continuing the Yeti might not have added many new owners but would have kept existing owner to buy another one.

I’ve always had people ask me about the Yeti, but in the last week I’ve had three people ask about the car and all a aged that the car is no longer manufactured. One couple with a large BMW were impressed with the fittings and driving position as they said that they were looking to down size the car.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Do they want 4yr L &K fsh :D

Sadly I guess not as none have been interested in mine and it’s not yet 2 years old. Diesel is the issue for many but not everyone as the second hand market seems to be shifting quite a few.  I’ve got about a month to wait for my new car but I’ll be sad to see the Yeti go.

• Like 1

wasn't there a song "Video killed the radio star"..............perhaps it can now be said "VW killed the diesel car market" after more than a decade of motor companies around the world r & d refining and producing great diesel engines overnight vw has single handed destroyed the market

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sad555 said:

wasn't there a song "Video killed the radio star"..............perhaps it can now be said "VW killed the diesel car market" after more than a decade of motor companies around the world r & d refining and producing great diesel engines overnight vw has single handed destroyed the market

That, and the fact most petrol engines are as economic and powerful as diesel now, and the new MOT tests for (DPF removal, no smoke on acceleration permitted, CO2 & NOX must match manufacturer figures 

• Like 1

Perhaps blame the politicians and press for a certain amount of misreporting. After all, petrol engines have their own problems - just different ones to diesels. It isn’t as though petrol motors are greener than green....

As for the ‘cheating’ - VW were caught first perhaps but are not the only ‘guilty’ party.

Coming up with ways to pass tests, rules or regulations isn’t exactly confined to diesel emission tests - try everything from school exams to F1.

Yes aerofurb VW (worlds biggest motor manufacturer)were caught cheating customers and governments to make more money and quite rightly had to pay massive fines in the states,with hundreds of scrapped cars but not here yet , their cheating started dieselgate worldwide and as I said all that r and d to make improved power and emissions has now caused jobs to go up in smoke and massive drop in diesel sales to other manufacturers who were not cheating and billions of £ lost worldwide, so not quite like cheating at school or using drugs to win medals is that ok as well.?

Believe me, I'm as hacked off with the whole debacle as anyone - the reason TIBET III isn't TIBET IV is the drop in trade-in value brought about by 'dieselgate'.

My point was that many manufacturers (ie not just the VW Group) have been caught with systems in place that got them through the tests - Google that. For instance, Fiat's 500X changes its mapping after 32 minutes from cold - the test lasted for 30 minutes but the Italians said it was because the engine was cold and they weren't cheating... Everyone knows that in the real world, even Euro 6 diesels are pumping out far more NOx than the test limit so on those grounds the tests are a bit of a farce anyway. Does anyone really think that it was only VW who couldn't make engines that pass the test's emissions levels?

So VW were caught first. A few days after Suzuki parted company from them in the States...

As for drugs, not sure that's involved. Mind you, TIBET III goes like it's on something with its Shark Performance remap....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gadgetman said:

That, and the fact most petrol engines are as economic and powerful as diesel now, and the new MOT tests for (DPF removal, no smoke on acceleration permitted, CO2 & NOX must match manufacturer figures 

That’s going to be a massive change in testing equipment, time and costs surely compared to the current cheap n nasty one.

Guest FurryFriend

Just read this in The Scotsman newspaper. 

Skoda has a new family car, the Karoq. It says it is designed around what matters to us – mentioning the gym or heading off on a cross-country adventure. Nailing this activity label, it adds “it’s a self-assured compact SUV with a big sense of adventure… a spacious home from home, whatever you’re packing into your day”.

The usual load of complete GUFF. 

I think if I had bought a car to go to the gym, or for cross country adventures, my wife would have booked me in for therapy. 

What about going shopping, visiting friends and family, going to a hotel for the weekend or even... even... just going for a nice drive to the seaside. 

Why does all this stupid car advertising and review nonsense need to be sport related? It's pathetic.  We hate sport. Can't stand it. 

And NO.... It does NOT 'matter to us' in the slightest. Who makes these sweeping, inaccurate statements. 

We want YETIS. Not poncy SUV's. 

Edited by FurryFriend

The first Yeti on the roads will be 10 years old next year, so surely those new in the passed 12 months will be around for another 10 years plus.

Loved and cherished used vehicles available for 'much cheapness' into the next decade and beyond. 

11 hours ago, Ryeman said:

That’s going to be a massive change in testing equipment, time and costs surely compared to the current cheap n nasty one.

Not sue if the test is now longer. It doesn't seem to have gone up much. 

Comes in to effect 20th May. From then, if you put in early and it fails, you no longer have an MOT. You also don't preserve the due date, so going forward your mot will be due 12 months from the day of testing 

• Like 1

Maximum UK MOT cost on a car is £54.85, and you can get a MOT much cheaper than that.

45-60 Minutes taken.

*There are still dodgy MOT's handed out, vehicles not even at test stations or the emission probe up another vehicles tail pipe.*

Not all DVSA Approved / Licensed Test Stations fitted with Webcams, & testing still look see, test what you are presented with, 

and no actual plugging into the OBD port or the likes on vehicles which that could be possible with,  like Euro 6 vehicles starting from testing 2019 in the UK.

Just think how much a hours time of a Qualified Technician and a helper using all the expensive gear and with more than an idea costs when having an Inspection Service or Diagnosis of a problem  at a Main Dealers or even an independent place.

Think like £85 plus VAT @ 20%.

Or just getting some household items serviced or repaired taking an hour or less.

Edited by Offski

10 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Not sue if the test is now longer. It doesn't seem to have gone up much. 

Comes in to effect 20th May. From then, if you put in early and it fails, you no longer have an MOT. You also don't preserve the due date, so going forward your mot will be due 12 months from the day of testing 

I didn't know this. Please can you give me a link to a page explaining this more fully. Thanks.

Although it’s clear in the case of an early mot resulting in a ‘fail’, I can’t see any refefrence to say you lose the due date in the case of a ‘pass’, so I’m assuming, for now, you can still submit early and retain the ‘due date’ as now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

Edited by graham47
  • Thanks 1