Can not find a replacement for dear old Yeti

paco

A 'Dangerous' FAIL , do not drive until repaired, would mean, no insurance cover other than for 3rd party because you are driving with a 'Dangerous fail'.

Having owned a Suberb  and until today a Octavia (both automatic) today I stole a Yeti !!! Well not exactly stole but bought a 2016 Yeti 110bhp 1.2 automatic with 4561 miles on clock from Skoda main dealer at a very good price and even got £40 petrol FOC. From I gather it is an Ex Mobility car that has not been used for a year. Any problems with car, yes, its white but at price I got it at I don't care. Its got 9 months Skoda warrantee left plus an extra 3 months from dealer.Pick it up on Wednesday after it has full service.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well done! I would have done the same even if it was pink and lime green........I'll have to think about that:speechless:

13 hours ago, graham47 said:

Although it’s clear in the case of an early mot resulting in a ‘fail’, I can’t see any refefrence to say you lose the due date in the case of a ‘pass’, so I’m assuming, for now, you can still submit early and retain the ‘due date’ as now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

Thanks Graham. I can't find anything about losing dates either.

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 20:01, SurreyJohn said:

I test drove a Seat Arona and was very similar drive to my Yeti, even easier in City streets and obviously controls are very similar.  It’s slightly smaller, was very impressed with 1 litre DSG.  Quicker than I expected.

Should have ordered one last week, I was still dithering, but price has now gone up, and PCP interest rate up. Delivery was about 4 months.   It seems the (brilliant) petrol DSG combination struggles to meet demand.  Less than 5% of used are petrol autos, as it appears over ordered manual stock compared to DSG

Time for plan B

SEAT have been swamped with orders for the Arona, and have decided to downgrade the Xcelence Lux spec, replacing the leather/alcantara with cloth seats, and removing the leather on dashboard and door panels. 

In its place are heated seats and an upgraded stereo with big bass speaker, and a white dashboard !

Waiting lists had jumped to 6-7 months for this spec.   Other DSG versions are seeing 2-3 month delays

It seems they didn't anticipate a demand for a well equipped, small SUV at a good price,  and assumed everyone would go for the more basic SE technology spec

The Arona forums are awash with cancelations since spec change as the small luxury SUV was proving popular with 50+ demographic

Clearly the revised spec is more likely to appeal to someone in their 20s

Apparently SEAT are hoping to restart the luxury spec deliveries about November, and will hold orders on request.

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

SEAT have been swamped with orders for the Arona, and have decided to downgrade the Xcelence Lux spec, replacing the leather/alcantara with cloth seats, and removing the leather on dashboard and door panels. 

In its place are heated seats and an upgraded stereo with big bass speaker, and a white dashboard !

The Arona forums are awash with cancelations since spec change as the small luxury SUV was proving popular with 50+ demographic

Clearly the revised spec is more likely to appeal to someone in their 20s

I would have thought that was pretty obviously the demographic they generally target their advertising towards - it's all attractive, smiley young people having tremendous fun in their blinged-up, tech-connected cars.  Not 40-50-plus types stuck in traffic jams on the M6 cursing the lack of information about the cause of the hold-up!

i sat in one of these and in spite of its appealing high looks it was too low for me after getting in/out of the yeti. so i imagine the yeti replacement will be the same body platform.

On 23/04/2018 at 12:12, RickW said:

Thanks Graham. I can't find anything about losing dates either.

As I understand it if you take a car in for an mot the test result  is logged immediately; hence it doesn't matter that an older mot had time to run, the test date and the result which is recorded against your car overwrites the previous one, so it records your vehicle with the latest test which is a fail.

Actually this is a good thing as it means an unsafe car cant be taken back onto the road for potentially up to another month?

The website gives links to how to see the mot status of a car;

Check the MOT history of a vehicle

Check the past results of a vehicle’s MOT tests, including:

• if it passed or failed
  • the mileage recorded when it was tested
  • what parts failed at each test, and if any parts had minor problems
  • when its next MOT is due

You can only get results for tests done in England, Scotland or Wales since 2005.

Hence it would be immediately clear to the police that your vehicle failed its mot recently, and I can't see anywhere that you can now go in for test early and have the date of the next mot extended to 12 months from the prior expiry date?

Yes, I accept that’s true in the case of a ‘fail’, obvious really, car is unsafe to drive....

However, I was more interested about the case of. ‘Pass’ where I couldn’t find anything to categorically say you lost whatever was left on the old mot....

I can’t say for sure if ‘system’ generates new expiry date or tester inputs it.

12 minutes ago, graham47 said:

Yes, I accept that’s true in the case of a ‘fail’, obvious really, car is unsafe to drive....

However, I was more interested about the case of. ‘Pass’ where I couldn’t find anything to categorically say you lost whatever was left on the old mot....

I can’t say for sure if ‘system’ generates new expiry date or tester inputs it.

I think it used to be that if you got an MOT 1 month before the due date 12 months was added onto the original MOT date.

Yes,in the case of a pass,say two weeks before expiry,does it cancel out the remaining two weeks?

• Sad 1

You can put your vehicle in 1 month before the MOT expires and a pass is 12 months from the due date of the Expiry.

Up to now if a vehicle fails nothing stops you driving away a vehicle that fails a MOT, even though you now know it is not Roadworthy.

People do, and it is an oddity of the UK DVSA / DfT / Insurers / Police that this has been the case.

With the New MOT a 'Dangerous' fail items means you should not drive it away.

Nobody is stopping you at the Test Station,  maybe the Police will be and there have been warnings about this in the Press Releases to the Media from the DVSA / DfT.

http://gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test 

New law means you can be fined £2,500 even if your MoT is still in date - Plymouth Herald.mhtml

Edited by Offski
  • Thanks 3

My wife got caught out a few months ago with her Mini. She tried to tax it and the DVLA site told her it needed an MOT which came as a surprise as we'd always had it done very close to the anniversary of the first registration.

Turns out that at the last MOT which we'd had done slightly earlier (less than a month) the test date had been used instead of the expiry date (so we lost a few weeks) and she'd been driving around without an MOT! I know you can get notifications but it's always been fine in the past and we keep a list on the fridge.

I've thought about this driving away after a fail and whilst it makes sense from a safety point of view there would be chaos with quite a few older cars failing. Another thought I have is riding my motorcycle for an MOT after it has expired, which happens often as I don't ride all year round now. Again if it wasn't allowed it would be a right pain having to transport it there. So for a change they are using some common sense.

Edited by VAGCF

You have always been able in the past and then that was cleared up in the last years as official, drive to a Pre-Booked MOT, 

not even the nearest one.

The Police never much made anything of vehicles uninsured and no VED, because no MOT yet.

You could even drive away after a 'Fail',  get it repaired or scrapped or whatever.

You were supposed to trailer it away but the UK Government, DVSA / DFT, Police never bothered, a UK Grey Area.

Now a fail, and Dangerous fail, is on the VOSA / DVLA System as the MOT is being done, and drive that way and it looks like the Government have that covered under the law.

Time will tell, maybe as usual the Law is not in place, England / Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland. 

Often the DVLA powers and the Law / Legislation is not passed, and years later it is found out.

Like not having VED is not a Police Matter like no Insurance or no Driving Licence.

Victorians don’t need any annual inspection but only if they are selling privately......dealers do of course.

The repair industry keeps lobbying for it but can’t argue the case based on comparative figures from NSW who have annual inspections because there is no statistical proof of any benefit from a safety point of view.   Of course we don’t have salty roads.

With the condition of the roads in this country the councils should be made to pay a contribution to the cost of the M O T

The ridiculous idea to have the UK MOT first after 4 years was dropped. Especially as so many cars fail at 3 years, and some have had the faults like headlight alignment from arriving at the Dealers, getting a PDI and for the next 3 years, only being picked up on at the MOT.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38708925 

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41761864 

MoT failure rates tracking at 40% for cars and vans.mhtml

DVSA releases MOT failure statistics - Workshop Magazine.mhtml

Edited by Offski

Enjoy ,Wow looks great ,is it much longer than the yeti or just the design making it look sleek?.................................................................ps just put a deposit down on a Kia Soul but it’s a 4 week wait ,don’t want to post a pic and steal your thunder of your  great pic of the Subaru.

Edited by Sad555

1 hour ago, Sad555 said:

Enjoy ,Wow looks great ,is it much longer than the yeti or just the design making it look sleek?.................................................................ps just put a deposit down on a Kia Soul but it’s a 4 week wait ,don’t want to post a pic and steal your thunder of your  great pic of the Subaru.

It is longer but a nice driving position.  Lots of goodies and technology built into the design.

my brother-in-law has a Soul and was very pleased with it but traded back as the fuel consumption was terrible.  That was a few years ago and that ending was soon discontinued.  I like the Soul it’s an active car, good warranty, we had a Ce’ed, very good car, we only got ride of it as it did not cope well with some of the weather we experience on our year round visits to Derbyshire.

enjoy when you take delivery.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Could this be the Yeti alternative?

Waiting for a test drive of an Auto before committing to ordering, but i tied in and out a manual and liked the ease.

• Thanks 2