Losing the diamond cuts on Xtremes

Hi

having done the inevitable and curbed 2 of my Xtremes, I’m thinking of getting all 4 done in  wholly painted anthracite (or maybe shadow chrome).  

Why? Because I hate diamond cut wheels in general having had nothing but corrosion issues with them in the past, and secondly because I really don’t like these silver highlights on what is otherwise a very attractive wheel - the lack of an outside rim makes them look odd to my eyes

I think it looks good in a photoshop mock up, but has anyone done this and got real life pictures?

thanks

3B4A3E37-FA65-4139-A914-CE0E494AD6AF.jpeg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

'Professionally' refurbed in 'roadcrud grey/brown'...and the wheels too!

20171118_124807.thumb.jpg.19761f8102921a894bdad3bfc159a369.jpg

There is definitely a member on here that has had theirs done all in black, but damned if I can find the pic now :sadsmile:

Ha ha, yes I’ve had that refurb too!  It doesn’t last though!

2 hours ago, waaar said:

I’ve done the same with a set of Gemini’s, for exactly that reason. I’ll take a pic in the morning.

Thanks very much

Done that with a lot of 'diamond cut' wheels, best thing for them IMHO. Just make sure the place that does them 'eases' the edges so the new paint/powder coat does not pull away from the edge giving you the same problem.

Most good places do it as a matter of course but worth checking.

2 hours ago, flybynite said:

Done that with a lot of 'diamond cut' wheels, best thing for them IMHO. Just make sure the place that does them 'eases' the edges so the new paint/powder coat does not pull away from the edge giving you the same problem.

Most good places do it as a matter of course but worth checking.

Good advice, thanks very much

Not a fan of black wheels on a black car, but I think they’d look great taking off the diamond cut (agree it looks not quite right on the Xtremes) and replacing with a shadow chrome or anthracite finish. Your photoshop looks great.

• Like 1

Had all four done in a grey/anthracite colour. I think it looks much better without the diamond cut.

8CCC8354-CA93-4716-B5A6-24DCA7EDA65A.jpeg

Edited by waaar
  • Like 4

Am I the only one that likes diamond cut wheels? :blink:

For me, without the diamond cut face, both the Gemini and Xtreme wheels look a bit plain and boring, especially in darker colours. There's something about the way that light hits the diamond face and they shine that makes them look great which normal alloys don't have.

Appreciate they are a pig to Refurb and if you curb them then they look a mess, but my VRS is almost 4.5 years old now and my diamond cut Geminis still look great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoneToBeemer said:

Not a fan of black wheels on a black car, but I think they’d look great taking off the diamond cut (agree it looks not quite right on the Xtremes) and replacing with a shadow chrome or anthracite finish. Your photoshop looks great.

I agree, not black on black .  Anthracite on Black it will be

41 minutes ago, waaar said:

Had all four done in a grey/anthracite colour. I think it looks much better without the diamond cut.

8CCC8354-CA93-4716-B5A6-24DCA7EDA65A.jpeg

They do look great, thanks for going to the trouble to post the pic.  Much appreciated!

25 minutes ago, ahenners said:

For me, without the diamond cut face, both the Gemini and Xtreme wheels look a bit plain and boring, especially in darker colours. There's something about the way that light hits the diamond face and they shine that makes them look great which normal alloys don't have.

Appreciate they are a pig to Refurb and if you curb them then they look a mess, but my VRS is almost 4.5 years old now and my diamond cut Geminis still look great. 

No, I think a lot of people do like them and they are certainly en vogue at the moment.  It’s all about personal choice!

But for me, particularly on Xtremes, I just don’t like the effect of five disconnected “rings” that it gives - it looks odd and makes the car look under-tyred.  If they sat within a silver outer rim then it would look much better, 

like the old Alfa teledials on 156s. But the “faceted” design of the wheel itself means I think it will look interesting without the silver.

But just as much, I’ve had DCs on AMG rims on various Mercs and they have all blistered up under the lacquer as soon as the slightest chip appears, and looked really tatty within a couple of years.  Just not a great design approach for a high durability environment like a road wheel in my book, so I’m out!

So what's the overall verdict on IF going to refurb / coat Xtremes (2 tone), aside from colour preferences? (From those who have done it / in-the-know).

A decent powder coat or dip or another option?

I'm not knowledgeable in this area, so aside from potentially going for some aftermarket 5-spokes get the actual 'RS' feel,  it would be good to know what the best type of alternative is :)

• 5 months later...
On 21/01/2018 at 13:54, ahenners said:

I also like the the Diamond Cut Xtremes,    :nod:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I also like the the Diamond Cut Xtremes,    :nod:

+1 

While i accept they can be high maintenence, corrosion on diamond cut wheels isn't inevitable. The Gemini's on my vRS were pristine when it went back to the lease company after 2.5 years and 25k miles. 

In my opinion the Xtremes look best diamond cut. However the 19 inch diameter means there really isn't enough rim protection from the tyres. 

I can understand people refurbing them in black or anthracite because of this, but the factory finish silver Xtremes look a bit naff to my eyes. No offence intended ☺

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VRSventurer said:

Bumping an old thread as I finally got it done when wheel no3 succumbed...  This is how they look in Anthracite with no diamond cuts, done via the smart repairer at my local Skoda dealer 

They look the dogs' those alloys painted up like that.

How much did that end up costing you?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Czechers said:

+1 

In my opinion the Xtremes look best diamond cut. However the 19 inch diameter means there really isn't enough rim protection from the tyres. 

To Increase rim protection when my 19" tyres need changing I'm going to fit 235/35/19",s. A little bit more rim protection and in some cases tyres are a bit cheaper

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 2

I was dead set about refurbing my Xtremes to lose the diamond cut as it’s not great on all 4 wheels but it’s such a nice finish and I much prefer the look over the Gemini’s that I am going to DIY refurb the diamond bits using sanding apparatus and clear lacquer. Some might say it’s brave, but I think the majority would admit it’s probably a bit dim, you just might not say it to my face :tongueout:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

I was dead set about refurbing my Xtremes to lose the diamond cut as it’s not great on all 4 wheels but it’s such a nice finish and I much prefer the look over the Gemini’s that I am going to DIY refurb the diamond bits using sanding apparatus and clear lacquer. Some might say it’s brave, but I think the majority would admit it’s probably a bit dim, you just might not say it to my face :tongueout:

Good luck 

shame your not near me my mate is excellent at repairing diamond cuts. He does the ones at work for us. 

• Like 1

Finished result looks good, very close to your original Photoshop and I like the colour.

For me it still needs the diamond cut, the design doesn't really stand out without it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tunedude said:

They look the dogs' those alloys painted up like that.

How much did that end up costing you?

Thanks, I am pleased with how they turned out. It was about £50 a corner - don’t have an exact price as it was packaged in with a scratch and a dent.  Poor thing had been in the wars!

7 hours ago, VRSventurer said:

Bumping an old thread as I finally got it done when wheel no3 succumbed...  This is how they look in Anthracite with no diamond cuts, done via the smart repairer at my local Skoda dealer 

60EC26F8-23C2-46AE-9DB8-2FC39430BE02.jpeg

AFC92B06-B023-4B0B-B04E-E751BAF41349.jpeg

Looks really good!! 

• Like 1