Rear wipers

Joycol6974

I have had issues with rear wiper it had its motor replaced last August but still stops in wet weather just when l need it. Garage at Brockenhurst are not helpful.  Their last comment was it was because l was closing the boot wrong??!!  This was a new excuse anyone else with this problem?

Cannot see how closing the boot could cause that!
Not closing it could though because the wiper will not work if the hatch is not fully closed.
There is a very thin line showing the hatch is not closed on the Maxidot.

Problem is the mechanic shut it and we  never went in it again and it stopped working on way back, just an excuse l think as they have not got a clue.  We think it' s still taking water in and then it stops.  No use as we only use it in wet weather!!

You do realise it does not run continuously, just intermittent.
When it stops have you tried re-closing the rear door to see if that kicks it into action?

Take it back an show them it not working, do not let them disappear and return to say it's OK.
Stand and watch it working normally or not with a service person.

18 hours ago, Joycol6974 said:

We think it' s still taking water in

What does this mean? If it means what I think it means are you aware of the two positions for the rear wiper switch?

Good luck with it whatever. Must be most frustrating in our recent weather conditions...

My 2016 Yeti's rear wiper has begun stopping at any position on the screen, usually vertically upwards, until the car warms up. It will have another go at parking in the right place next time it receives a pulse for the intermittant wipe, but it may stop again anywhere. Eventually it'll park in the correct position, after which it then behaves normally.

I suspect the position indicator or whatever tells the motor what postion the wiper is in is faulty, so I'll get it attended to under warranty at the next service.

What's the betting that the remedy is a new motor assembly, which of course they wont have in stock, so it'll mean two visits to the dealer to get it fixed!

John, there seem to have been a batch of "bad" motors, and Skoda do know about them. If you ring the dealer before the service they should be able to order one so that it is ready for fitting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

John, there seem to have been a batch of "bad" motors, and Skoda do know about them. If you ring the dealer before the service they should be able to order one so that it is ready for fitting.

Thanks Graham....  I'll try that.

Guest FurryFriend

Hi Joycol

I hope this might help. 

We had this exact and very same problem when our brand new Yeti was only 2 weeks old. 

At the time our dealer couldn't deal with it, so I diagnosed it myself and fixed it because we had a 750mile journey to make, up to Inverness and back. 

The tailgate showed as closed on the Maxidot display, but it was not. So don't be fooled by that. 

Quite often I noticed when at the rear of the car,  we could shut the tailgate, but find that with a slight yank, it hadn't actually latched completely at all. No maxidot warning at all when it popped ever so slightly open. 

I initially thought that a plastic box of wet weather gear, boots and other stuff that we had transferred from my old car was long enough to prevent the tailgate from closing properly. However that wasn't the case. 

Neither was the motor faulty, as the dealer, and some guys  on here suggested. 

As others have correctly pointed out, unless the tailgate is totally shut the rear wiper will not work correctly. Something to do with some sensors lining up apparently. 

You'll need a suitable 12 spline socket to adjust the boot lock plate. That's the one on the floor of the boot... NOT the one in the tailgate lid. There's a little rubber flap covering the 2 bolts, simply remove that to access them. I'd suggest cleaning out the bolt heads to remove any crud that might be inside  them. 

You MUST have the correct socket. Make sure it's well seated and apply a bit of downward pressure when you undo them.

Don't try to get away with the  wrong socket or tool,  or you'll likely chew the heads off the 2 bolts. It must be a 12 point one. 

Once you set the lockplate slightly  further back, the boot mechanism will lock, and the wiper will work just fine. We've had no repetition of the issue since I fixed it. That's 10 months ago. 

Anyway. Hope it helps. 

Edited by FurryFriend

FurryFriend,
You do realise that you can adjust the 2 hatch stop blocks much more easily that having to move the lock plate?

If you pull their covers off there is a screw inside that moves them in or out. Adjust as required, normally inwards and then replace the covers, and the job is done. This method has been described on here numerous times in the past.

Guest FurryFriend

Thanks Llanigraham.

We did try this first, as advised at the  time by several members, but  no success with it. 

Possibly, with car being new, the seal was not flexible enough, I don't  know. 

My gut feeling is that I think it was incorrectly aligned either at the factory or at the dealership, because I noticed that the bolts already had some markings on them when I fixed it.