Living with a Skoda Superb Sportline Estate

Living with a Skoda Superb Sportline Estate

I am interested to hear from any Superb Sportline estate owners and their experience of living with the sportline, Any combination of engine, gearbox and drive.  Anything good, fantastic, bad or indifferent.  

I love my green Octavia VRS diesel estate which I bought before the Superb Sportline came into production.  Apart from the sat nav my only real gripe with the car is rear passenger leg room,  I am 6"1" and have the drivers seat fully back with the chair rake back.  With my 6 year old son behind the drivers seat and in his car seat he doesn't have a huge amount of room and I can feel his feet in the small of my back thorough the drivers seat.  Whilst my car was in for a service we tried the Superb Sportline estate in the show room and the rear leg room is massive, such a difference.  I am nearly 1/2 way through my PCP deal and may consider chopping to a Superb Sportline Estate if the right deal/offer came along.  

I got a really good deal on my car through car-wow on the price of the car and at the same time £2k from Skoda, £1K fuel card and 4years 0% interest PCP deal.    I haven't seen any attractive deals either Skoda or dealer on the Sportline.  Maybe i am wrong.  I would like to hear what PCP deals others have got on their Superb's.

Like other contributors I originally wanted a less than 3 year old less than 30K car but the PCP deal on a new car made any used car deal completely unattractive financially against a factory order/PCP deal.

I do like the dragon green 280 DSG 4x4 but would need some realistic MPG figures as I do not believe the official 39.2 mpg figures.  I drive 15-18 k per year.

I am not an owner...... yet. On order and should take delivery end of April. 

I ended up buying cash. Skoda scrappage gave me £4k for my old diesel and Car Wow got me 14% off the list price of a Sportline Estate, with the 220ps engine.

I know its hearsay, but one of the sales guys in the dealers told me his boss was getting 23mpg in his 280. I guess driving it hard with "free" fuel

• Like 1

:biggrin:Thanks for the reply Parked, you will have to left me know how you go with the new motor.  

HonestJohn real MPG states 29 mpg for the 280 which is still good for this motor and 4x4.

I'm getting 26-27 mpg out of my 280, can easily see the possibility of getting a bit more but that would require driving more slowly more of the time which would beg the question; why bother with the more powerful engine?

Even 30mpg would only be another £30-40 in petrol per month unless you're doing mega mileage.

Cheap thrills :)

• Like 1

Thanks Juux

Sounds like you haven't got any speeding points yet.

The UK police force are starting to use the 280 superb as an unmarked police patrol car!!  Thats a good recommendation! 

Thanks MorrisOx

You are absolutely right.   A work colleague who has gone through the same process after completing 50% of his PCP has advise me to do my research in advance and know exactly what car I want for the price I want and the deal I want.  Therefore I can immediately put pressure on my dealer to compete for my future business when they call me.  

The dealer who originally sold me my Octavia had been chasing me for a while before I went in for a chat about swapping to a Superb. They made a couple of points about PCP trade-ins: that all PCP trade-ins are being valued down because the market is awash with them, and that diesels have taken a bigger hit because of anti-diesel sentiment.

That was partly their explanation for telling me I would actually owe a few hundred quid if I part-exchanged mine against a Superb. But they didn’t offer much of a deal anyway, quoting me numbers worse than Skoda’s own online finance calculator. So I walked, went on Carwow, and got five offers substantially lower...one of them from the dealer I’d been in to see!

Their’s wasn’t the best and I eventually went with another dealer who not only gave me a very good price on the Superb but also said their valuation of my Octavia meant I had another few hundred to play with (which  I put into an electric tailgate).

Happy hunting and do shop around. Brokers can be very useful in the bargaining process.

• Like 1

NEWBIE ALLERT!

Mine is just over 1 week old, I've put about 1k on it...

Car - late 2017 Sportline Estate 190 ps DSG

Deal - £26k with <1500 miles on

Dealer - Lookers Skoad Manchester (easy to deal with)

Positives so far....

ROOMY - front, back (astounding and I've owned big cars / estates before, this is by far the roomiest!) and boot all huge. lots of hidden storage in the boot (arches and floor pan)

Acceleration (once moving) is impressive.

It gets mainly m-way miles, easy pushes 60mpg doing 70ish

Loaded with features, the cruise control coupled with  stop start / distance from car in front thing is very very good once you're used to it.

Lots of nice little touches; hooks in boot, removable torch, SD card slots, umbrellas in doors, interior mood lighting, gread audio / navigation / control panel, auto handbrake, steering wheel controls (easy & comprehensive); it goes on!

Comfortable, very comfortable.

All round, the finish is great.

Niggles (so far)...

Low profiles make for a rougher ride on bumpier roads (as expected)

Loud cabin at speed.

Cant dim instrument panel at night easily

Keyless entry doenst work on rear doors without opening fronts first or pressing the fob

Lock sensors don't work with gloves on

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!

• Like 1

On that mileage I’d be looking for the 190 diesel and then mapping it or put a box on it.

Im 2weeks in to getting my Sportline estate, only a 150 diesel but plentiful for what I need it for hauling the family around.

+

• Lots of gadgets and toys to play with 
  • Room
  • Build quality I’m impressed with compared to my Octy3

-

• Poor fuel economy for a diesel, but I do have DSG, engine is still loosening up and the winter fuel won’t help (neither will my right foot.) Sometimes I wish I had considered petrol 220/280 but then I’d be getting low 20’s mpg I expect!
  • Mix of LED interior lights then they spoilt it and put halogen in the boot, door puddle lights and glovebox, go figure that!
  • No rear door puddle lights either
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, aldouk said:

On that mileage I’d be looking for the 190 diesel and then mapping it or put a box on it.

Im 2weeks in to getting my Sportline estate, only a 150 diesel but plentiful for what I need it for hauling the family around.

+

• Lots of gadgets and toys to play with 
  • Room
  • Build quality I’m impressed with compared to my Octy3

-

• Poor fuel economy for a diesel, but I do have DSG, engine is still loosening up and the winter fuel won’t help (neither will my right foot.) Sometimes I wish I had considered petrol 220/280 but then I’d be getting low 20’s mpg I expect!
  • Mix of LED interior lights then they spoilt it and put halogen in the boot, door puddle lights and glovebox, go figure that!
  • No rear door puddle lights either

I should have been clearer, it is the 190 diesel.

I've done over what i'd normally do since getting it but would expect to put 40k miles on it per year 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jonesinamillion said:

I should have been clearer, it is the 190 diesel.

I've done over what i'd normally do since getting it but would expect to put 40k miles on it per year 

Sorry I meant to the original poster doing 15k a year.

40k is impressive to be fair and also getting that MPG. 

1 minute ago, aldouk said:

Sorry I meant to the original poster doing 15k a year.

40k is impressive to be fair and also getting that MPG. 

I keep it in eco mode / start-stop / cruise control for the most part; try to hover just over 70 most of the time but as you're aware, most motorways around our way (Staffs, brum, mcr, leics,derb, liv) are 50mph average speed check which helps push up the mpg as well as frustrating the driver!

• Like 1

Hello MorrisOx

Thanks for the information.  I need to re-check my PCP deal as I believe I have a GFV - guaranteed future value in the contract which I do not believe can be reduced.  

If diesel gate hits 2nd hand car values then it will have a bigger hit on new diesels which could make potential deal attractive.  Given that fuel tax funds the entire benefit system I personally can’t see the government committing suicide.  I do agree with a plan to get old dirty petrol and diesels off the road hopefully starting with buses and lorries and not cat 6 modern diesel engines.  I would seriously consider buying a hydrogen car if one ever makes it into production in the UK.

My colleague got a better deal from the local Skoda dealer than from the GFV on his PCP deal with VAG financial services.  I will also use CARWOW again in the future to get the best deal.  

Thanks for your good advice.

Hello jonesinamillion

I think my Octavia VRS 190 TDI has the same engine as your Superb Sportline although I have a manual box.

What rims are you running?  I am guessing the tyres are as from new?  Are they run flat?

After 18,000 I had to put new fronts on mine and have moved to Michelin Cross Climate+ .  These are highly recommended everywhere and have made a huge different with grip, noise and ride.  These are not run flat ones.  

I keep my VRS in ECO mode most of the time.  Sometimes in Sports mode the interior noise can be a big much.  Is this the same in the Sportline?

Its good that you love your Superb Sportline.  Thanks for your feedback.

Hello aldouk

Was your Sportline Estate a factory order?  

Did you finance through a PCP deal?

May take a few thousand to bed in the engine.  I would be interested to see how your MPG pans out on your 150 BHP DSG.  

Thanks for your useful information.

I've got the 280 Sportline in Australia for nearly 9 months now. Very happy with the car, it is a great all rounder and super practical for weekend getaways.  I do about 20-25k km a year with mixture of city / urban / country driving. 

Real life fuel consumption here is about 8.5L / 100km (approx. 33MPG) over the long term of around 18,000km so far. 

The power on tap is very useful and will put a smile on your face when it delivers via the 4x4. 

Cornering is not the best for the car, which is as expected since the car is very long and the suspension is relatively soft. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mad_dog said:

Thanks Juux

Sounds like you haven't got any speeding points yet.

I am lucky enough to have unrestricted autobahns on my doorstep though :)

• Like 1

My 280 Combi is sat at the dealers waiting for the 5th March....

My current 2.0t petrol Vectra is returning about 27mpg and I am hoping that the 280 will be similar if not a bit better, but I do drive relatively sensibly most of the time... also, I only do about 8k miles a year so mpg is not a deal breaker for me.

For what its worth, part of the reason we went Superb over Octavia is that I'm 1m84 tall, my wife is 1m82 and our kids who are 10 and 7 are already 1m57 and 1m35 and are probably going to be as tall as us within my ownership of this car. The rear leg room was a deal maker for us and I can see your point! Also, plenty of boot space fro the idiot Springer Spaniel helps a lot!

• Like 1

I started a thread some time ago about how the worse mpg I could achieve .... No matter how much I hammered it I don't think I managed to get it below 22 ish... Or was it 21 ... Or 23 ... :-D

Edited by Nick_H

19 hours ago, mad_dog said:

Hello aldouk

Was your Sportline Estate a factory order?  

Did you finance through a PCP deal?

May take a few thousand to bed in the engine.  I would be interested to see how your MPG pans out on your 150 BHP DSG.  

Thanks for your useful information.

Factory order added a few bits. 

Personal contract hire. I like to change more often than keeping the car longer term, also you still have option to extend the lease or buy. 

Yes will ne aiming to tank it every fill up so should get true MPG. 

• Like 1

Hello aldouk

Thanks for the update.  

Are you happy with your new car?  39mpg looks good for a brand new 2.0 150bhp DSG.  I like the screenshot is that from an in car application?  I don't have this on the Octavia.  Are you getting the expected performance from your engine / gearbox combination?

On 22/01/2018 at 12:14, Nick_H said:

I started a thread some time ago about how the worse mpg I could achieve .... No matter how much I hammered it I don't think I managed to get it below 22 ish... Or was it 21 ... Or 23 ... :-D

Hi Nick_H

Thanks for your input.  Like your style, never thought of trying  to achieve the worst mpg per car type.  You might have started a trend.  How many miles have you done in your 280?  How are the tyres holding up?

4 minutes ago, mad_dog said:

Hi Nick_H

Thanks for your input.  Like your style, never thought of trying  to achieve the worst mpg per car type.  You might have started a trend.  How many miles have you done in your 280?  How are the tyres holding up?

Don't do many miles which is why I don't really care about mpg :-) Just done over 14k. 6mm left at service last October.