Living with a Skoda Superb Sportline Estate

On 22/01/2018 at 09:53, edwards said:

My 280 Combi is sat at the dealers waiting for the 5th March....

My current 2.0t petrol Vectra is returning about 27mpg and I am hoping that the 280 will be similar if not a bit better, but I do drive relatively sensibly most of the time... also, I only do about 8k miles a year so mpg is not a deal breaker for me.

For what its worth, part of the reason we went Superb over Octavia is that I'm 1m84 tall, my wife is 1m82 and our kids who are 10 and 7 are already 1m57 and 1m35 and are probably going to be as tall as us within my ownership of this car. The rear leg room was a deal maker for us and I can see your point! Also, plenty of boot space fro the idiot Springer Spaniel helps a lot!

Hello edwards

Thanks for your input.  Why are you having to wait so long for your car if its already at the dealers?  Is the  new factory order car, are you on a PCP deal?  

I would love a 280ps however I need to make sure I can run it.  I drive about 300 miles during the week to work which would be in sensible mode and then let loose at the weekend.  I would be interested to know what you achieve in sensible mode once you get your car.  I know you get around 22mpg when you boot it which is great in weekend mode.

On 22/01/2018 at 00:54, cyberkank said:

I've got the 280 Sportline in Australia for nearly 9 months now. Very happy with the car, it is a great all rounder and super practical for weekend getaways.  I do about 20-25k km a year with mixture of city / urban / country driving. 

Real life fuel consumption here is about 8.5L / 100km (approx. 33MPG) over the long term of around 18,000km so far. 

The power on tap is very useful and will put a smile on your face when it delivers via the 4x4. 

Cornering is not the best for the car, which is as expected since the car is very long and the suspension is relatively soft. 

Hello cyberkank

Thanks for your feedback.  Do you know if your 280 and the UK 280 are different in anyway?  Long term mpg of 33 over 18,000 km / 11,100 miles sounds very good.    I wasn't aware Skoda's were available in Australia.  You learn something new everyday.  

17 minutes ago, mad_dog said:

Hello edwards

Thanks for your input.  Why are you having to wait so long for your car if its already at the dealers?  Is the  new factory order car, are you on a PCP deal?  

I would love a 280ps however I need to make sure I can run it.  I drive about 300 miles during the week to work which would be in sensible mode and then let loose at the weekend.  I would be interested to know what you achieve in sensible mode once you get your car.  I know you get around 22mpg when you boot it which is great in weekend mode.

It is a factory order that was supposed to take 12-16 weeks and be collected as an 18 plate. It actually came in 9 weeks and although I had the option to collect it early I decided to wait. Picking up on 5th March after the new reg rush weekend.

I'll certainly let you know how I get on consumption wise. Was looking at the Vecrta this evening and its returned 27.1mpg over the last 2000 mixed miles. I am hoping that the new one will be at least as good. I've a long trip away at Easter so that'll be a good time to see what it can do.

43 minutes ago, edwards said:

It is a factory order that was supposed to take 12-16 weeks and be collected as an 18 plate. It actually came in 9 weeks and although I had the option to collect it early I decided to wait. Picking up on 5th March after the new reg rush weekend.

I'll certainly let you know how I get on consumption wise. Was looking at the Vecrta this evening and its returned 27.1mpg over the last 2000 mixed miles. I am hoping that the new one will be at least as good. I've a long trip away at Easter so that'll be a good time to see what it can do.

I have the same problem, ordered mine in September expecting dealer to order it from November onwards as I was told a 16 week wait, but they must have ordered it straight away as it arrived early November and has been sat out side at the dealer since.

Have been offered it earlier but can’t pick up till March 3rd as my present car I have to keep until Feb 28th. 

Anyone on here have any idea wether a car sat outside in the winter for 4 months is likely to have any problems (150 dsg sportine  Diesel)

1 hour ago, mad_dog said:

Hello aldouk

Thanks for the update.  

Are you happy with your new car?  39mpg looks good for a brand new 2.0 150bhp DSG.  I like the screenshot is that from an in car application?  I don't have this on the Octavia.  Are you getting the expected performance from your engine / gearbox combination?

Yes. Very happy with it in fairness. 

The screenshot is off my iPhone. It’s an app called RoadTrip. 

Performance is good, not much difference in my Octy VRS really that was 180. I’ve not pushed it higher speeds so probably runs out of puff quicker. Plentiful for what I need it for and with potential to remap it. I might try adjusting it to the Audi setting with VCDS which makes the set off a little quicker. 

9 hours ago, mad_dog said:

Hello cyberkank

Thanks for your feedback.  Do you know if your 280 and the UK 280 are different in anyway?  Long term mpg of 33 over 18,000 km / 11,100 miles sounds very good.    I wasn't aware Skoda's were available in Australia.  You learn something new everyday.  

To my knowledge it is the same. Dont see any difference. 

Skoda is not very big in Australia. Although with the introduction of the Kodiaq and the upcoming Karoq SUV helped with the brand here a bit. We love our SUVs here. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that I only use 98RON fuel as I believe it makes the car drive a bit smoother especially with hotter weather here. 

Edited by cyberkank

11 hours ago, Blowhard said:

I have the same problem, ordered mine in September expecting dealer to order it from November onwards as I was told a 16 week wait, but they must have ordered it straight away as it arrived early November and has been sat out side at the dealer since.

Have been offered it earlier but can’t pick up till March 3rd as my present car I have to keep until Feb 28th. 

Anyone on here have any idea wether a car sat outside in the winter for 4 months is likely to have any problems (150 dsg sportine  Diesel)

There will be no issues with it sat there. Many new cars have been sat around for that long if not longer at ports etc. If you buy a standard car or one with little lead time then chances are it was built a while ago and sat somewhere waiting for someone to order a Standard car.

3 hours ago, PSM said:

There will be no issues with it sat there. Many new cars have been sat around for that long if not longer at ports etc. If you buy a standard car or one with little lead time then chances are it was built a while ago and sat somewhere waiting for someone to order a Standard car.

Good to hear , it wasn’t standard car just ordered a little early by dealer, seems like forever, but nice to have on a 18 plate, and can’t afford the lease on the transit and the pcp payments so will have to suffer for another five weeks till the tranny goes back 

HI MadDog, I've just written this in another thread.. 

I had a similar itch to you.. mkIII vrs diesel, and decided I wanted a 4x4 petrol - that pushed me to the sportline.. I test drove the 190 diesel, and it didn't cut it - the slight power gain did not make up for the weight gain over the vRS, and given the more "boat-like" feel to the drive, it just felt a bit gutless. 

I went with the 280, knowing that it was the best way to feel like a vRS... I'm still running in, so haven't ragged it - and actually, when it's ticking along it feels pretty tame  (the petrol DSG is more skittish around the rev range, trying to find the right power output to match your demand)...   e.g. for a gentle overtake in ECO mode, it is actually pretty reserved, does't feel anywhere like as quick as the vRS and sticks around under 3500RPM, and sometimes I've been thinking "really, is this all it does?"

BUT - if you push the throttle enough to say "now, c'mon, I really want to get past!", then everything changes.. before you know it you are in the 5000 - 6000RPM band, and the tiger is unleashed..
man, it roars, it flies, and suddenly it feels like this is this is vRS's proper-grown-up more-ninja big brother...  :)        As I say, I'm still running in, so this has only happened 3 or 4 times, more by accident than design (still learning the throttle), but it's impressive.. 

I would say DCC is a must if you want any memories of the vRS - in sport mode the harder suspension communicates more like the vRS and obviously gives more confidence in the corners. The softest settings actually make me somewhat anxious on some of our local, rural, badly-cambered scottish corners, though they are a delight on the motorway or main A-roads where you're happy with a relaxed drive and the "secret" ability to pass almost anything you encounter. 

biggest issue with it for me is the shock of going from a regular 45 - 50mpg  to 27 - 30mpg (so far) 

I used new-car-discount and saved 6.5k off list; delivered right to my door :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2018 at 23:41, aldouk said:

Yes. Very happy with it in fairness. 

The screenshot is off my iPhone. It’s an app called RoadTrip. 

Performance is good, not much difference in my Octy VRS really that was 180. I’ve not pushed it higher speeds so probably runs out of puff quicker. Plentiful for what I need it for and with potential to remap it. I might try adjusting it to the Audi setting with VCDS which makes the set off a little quicker. 

Hello aldouk

Thanks for the update.  

On 28/01/2018 at 08:31, cyberkank said:

To my knowledge it is the same. Dont see any difference. 

Skoda is not very big in Australia. Although with the introduction of the Kodiaq and the upcoming Karoq SUV helped with the brand here a bit. We love our SUVs here. 

One thing I forgot to mention is that I only use 98RON fuel as I believe it makes the car drive a bit smoother especially with hotter weather here. 

Hello cyberkank

Thanks for your feedback.  You must get a lot of people wondering what car just left them standing at the lights. There can't be many 280's over there in Australia?  Probably a very well sort after car.  It should retain its value really well when you decided to trade it in.

On 01/02/2018 at 23:34, jonesinamillion said:

Stoke on Trent to Liverpool & back today (from cold, 50 mph restrictions for half the Mway then 80mph the rest,rounded off with a city centre crawl)... 56 mpg :D

Sportline Estate 190 

Hello Jonesinamillon

Thanks for your feedback.

Seems like the best of both worlds, performance when you need it and economy when you can't use the performance.

On 01/02/2018 at 11:05, mr.nik said:

HI MadDog, I've just written this in another thread.. 

I had a similar itch to you.. mkIII vrs diesel, and decided I wanted a 4x4 petrol - that pushed me to the sportline.. I test drove the 190 diesel, and it didn't cut it - the slight power gain did not make up for the weight gain over the vRS, and given the more "boat-like" feel to the drive, it just felt a bit gutless. 

I went with the 280, knowing that it was the best way to feel like a vRS... I'm still running in, so haven't ragged it - and actually, when it's ticking along it feels pretty tame  (the petrol DSG is more skittish around the rev range, trying to find the right power output to match your demand)...   e.g. for a gentle overtake in ECO mode, it is actually pretty reserved, does't feel anywhere like as quick as the vRS and sticks around under 3500RPM, and sometimes I've been thinking "really, is this all it does?"

BUT - if you push the throttle enough to say "now, c'mon, I really want to get past!", then everything changes.. before you know it you are in the 5000 - 6000RPM band, and the tiger is unleashed..
man, it roars, it flies, and suddenly it feels like this is this is vRS's proper-grown-up more-ninja big brother...  :)        As I say, I'm still running in, so this has only happened 3 or 4 times, more by accident than design (still learning the throttle), but it's impressive.. 

I would say DCC is a must if you want any memories of the vRS - in sport mode the harder suspension communicates more like the vRS and obviously gives more confidence in the corners. The softest settings actually make me somewhat anxious on some of our local, rural, badly-cambered scottish corners, though they are a delight on the motorway or main A-roads where you're happy with a relaxed drive and the "secret" ability to pass almost anything you encounter. 

biggest issue with it for me is the shock of going from a regular 45 - 50mpg  to 27 - 30mpg (so far) 

I used new-car-discount and saved 6.5k off list; delivered right to my door :)

Hello mr.nik

Thanks for your feedback.  Very informative.  Love the eels like this is this is vRS's proper-grown-up more-ninja big brother...  :)     comment.  Maybe your mpg will improve over time.  Other 280 drivers are getting 39mpg.

10 hours ago, mad_dog said:

Other 280 drivers are getting 39mpg.

Only if they're getting out and pushing the damn things!

Unless you hypermile there's precisely zero chance of seeing a 39mpg average in a 280; mid 20s likely, high/low 20s possible depending on driving style/trips/roads. Driving gingerly I imagine you could coax 30-something out of a tank, but it would utterly defeat the point of buying a car with a reasonable amount of poke. Just buy a 150!

• Like 2

On 15/02/2018 at 00:48, mad_dog said:

Other 280 drivers are getting 39mpg.

Hmmmm.   I've done 4,700 miles in my 280, and my long term average is 28.3mpg.  Most of my miles is motorway commute and I can get it to see over 30mpg, but not much more.  There are too many cars where I live to rag it too much, but it's a nice car to drive on the non dcc suspension. 

• Like 1