Car Suggestions for our 22 year old lad

tweenster

Our son passed his driving test 3 years ago and has been driving our 2007 Mk 1 Ford Ka ever since. He's now graduated from Uni and got a job (Bio-Medical Scientist) and will be moving out at the end of the month. Unsurprisingly he is keen to ditch the Ka asap and is looking for ideas. He suggested a Vauxhall Corsa (a friend of his works in a Vauxhall dealership) but I have steered him away from that; I initially suggested a Ford Fiesta Titanium (cheap, good spec, plenty of garages) but he is after other suggestions. I threw in the Mk1 Skoda Fabia VRS but he says they are too old as he needs a reliable car for his 6 mile daily commute (and I acknowledge that petrol would be better for such short journeys). I have given him the left field option of a Suzuki Swift Sport (and if I was a young single man this would be my choice!); these can be had for about £8k but is there anything else we should consider?

So I'm after suggestions for a fun, nippy, cheap to run car for a 22 year old lad; budget around £7-8K that has to be 'cool'.

49 minutes ago, tweenster said:

Our son passed his driving test 3 years ago and has been driving our 2007 Mk 1 Ford Ka ever since. He's now graduated from Uni and got a job (Bio-Medical Scientist) and will be moving out at the end of the month. Unsurprisingly he is keen to ditch the Ka asap and is looking for ideas. He suggested a Vauxhall Corsa (a friend of his works in a Vauxhall dealership) but I have steered him away from that; I initially suggested a Ford Fiesta Titanium (cheap, good spec, plenty of garages) but he is after other suggestions. I threw in the Mk1 Skoda Fabia VRS but he says they are too old as he needs a reliable car for his 6 mile daily commute (and I acknowledge that petrol would be better for such short journeys). I have given him the left field option of a Suzuki Swift Sport (and if I was a young single man this would be my choice!); these can be had for about £8k but is there anything else we should consider?

So I'm after suggestions for a fun, nippy, cheap to run car for a 22 year old lad; budget around £7-8K that has to be 'cool'.

As the kids are our most precious asset I put safety high up the list.  EuroNCAP is a guide but not always the absolute benchmark of safely.   

Cost of insurance is often a factor so depending on where they are based.

Cars with ESP are higher on my list for the kids.  Latest one I bought was a Mk 4 Clio.  Good looking and fine handling if not a bit girlie (in non RS format).  

Middle sized cars drop quickly compared to city cars so are oft better value.   Other factor is most cars of the last 5 years or so are turbo so can cost a fortune if the turbo goes pop so a warranty is good piece of mind.  I used CSMA/Boundless https://www.boundless.co.uk/save-more/car-care-plan-warranty      

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

When in Britain getting a parking spot is our priority....one big enough.

He will be sharing an enormous farmhouse as his home and work has their own private compound so parking will not be a problem.

6 minutes ago, tweenster said:

He will be sharing an enormous farmhouse as his home and work has their own private compound so parking will not be a problem.

Nice.   Will it be taxed?.

As can be a MINI, as in a BMW 3 door hatch type.

Comes in many flavours or engine and even value for money prices. Just debadge and privicy rear glass has them looking good without insurance hiking.

6  mile commute?

Classic Capri FTW.

If he can take the marmite looks a Mini Coupe might be i price and are flagged as a future classic so might not lose much money.

If he's worried about newness he'll get a brand new Dacia for that figure.

Or with the low miles and a bit of a deposit would a lease be an option?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aspman said:

6  mile commute?

Classic Capri FTW.

If he can take the marmite looks a Mini Coupe might be i price and are flagged as a future classic so might not lose much money.

If he's worried about newness he'll get a brand new Dacia for that figure.

Or with the low miles and a bit of a deposit would a lease be an option?

Passed my test when I was 20, and bought a ford Capri :D Though back then it was £750 to buy. But as a note, if he can get on a classic car policy with an "older" car it would save him a few quid in insurance that's for sure. Still got the capri now, although undergoing heart surgery with a cosworth V6 put in it!

I'm afraid its another +1 from me for the swift though, got the mrs one as a replacement for her diesel yaris as she was doing less miles and wanted something newer. Got the 1.2 sz4. good looks, air con, cruise control, steers like a go kart. not the fastest, but with 95bhp its not a slouch, especially from 4-6.5k :o And on the plus side it does 45-50mpg round town happily.

Your best tip would be to find a used car dealer (or one or two close-by used car dealers) that has the three or four "options" available and just let him have a good look and try of each, even if he cant get covered to drive them, at least as a passenger. Might be that whilst there you spot a car you hadn't even thought of that suits perfectly, I know that's what happened with the Yaris when my wife bought it, served us well for 7 years!

Edited by robt100

Ibiza Cupra 1.4tsi can be had for next to nothing, 

Cheap to buy and surprisingly cheap to insure even for a 22 year old and bags of fun. Just keep on top of the oil.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S 125ps.  

An absolute hoot to drive.  Lovely little chassis and perfect around town but still 'grown up' enough for motorways too.  1ltr engine is economical but doesn't mind being rev'd.  VED is free and insurance is low.  I think it looks pretty nice too. 

We've had one for nearly 3 years now and it's been trouble free. 

Or just buy him a really nice steel bike with some mudguards and panniers.  6 miles...should be walking that! :D

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1