Paint hardness

Ajscott598

Hi folks, 

I'm new on here and just picked up my first ever skoda on Friday. A black 2010 octavia 2.0 tdi vrs dsg. Loving it by the way. :biggrin:

Unfortunately it is covered in swirls. I have a fairly large range of products for cleaning my car including a da. 

My question is how hard is the paint?  I used my da on my Bmw 118d which was hard paint so only currently have an orange chemical guys hex pad and a black chemical guys hex pad for finishing. I also have a 3'' backing plate with small pads for smaller areas. 

Will these pads be OK or do you think I should possibly get a less aggressive pad? 

IMO,

Leave well alone until Spring has sprung.

Ne'er cast a clout til May is oot.

Lots more Griiting to come of those Angus roads after this week.    Wash and polish and wax by hand until the warm weather, those swirls can wait, 

the paint is 7 years old and had some work done on it be now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

IMO,

Leave well alone until Spring has sprung.

Ne'er cast a clout til May is oot.

Lots more Griiting to come of those Angus roads after this week.    Wash and polish and wax by hand until the warm weather, those swirls can wait, 

the paint is 7 years old and had some work done on it be now.

Was going to leave it a few months anyway. Was just so I have wot I need when I get round to it. 

I've got autobrite brilliance filler glaze I will apply to get a bit of depth back in the paint until I correct it. 

• Like 1

Best thing.

The day i detailed my new to me 11 year old Volvo after it had over a year of neglect and bird poo, i went to tesco and someone put a trolley right along the passenger door.

(gave up after that as i decided it was just a target for careless door openers and birds.)

Flabio & Zumba June 008.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Best thing.

The day i detailed my new to me 11 year old Volvo after it had over a year of neglect and bird poo, i went to tesco and someone put a trolley right along the passenger door.

(gave up after that as i decided it was just a target for careless door openers and birds.)

Flabio & Zumba June 008.JPG

Door dings r never good. I like to keep Mr cars clean and tidy and looking their best. Only properly started looking into the detailing side of things just over a year ago. It's something I enjoy doin. :biggrin:

3 hours ago, Ajscott598 said:

Hi folks, 

I'm new on here and just picked up my first ever skoda on Friday. A black 2010 octavia 2.0 tdi vrs dsg. Loving it by the way. :biggrin:

Unfortunately it is covered in swirls. I have a fairly large range of products for cleaning my car including a da. 

My question is how hard is the paint?  I used my da on my Bmw 118d which was hard paint so only currently have an orange chemical guys hex pad and a black chemical guys hex pad for finishing. I also have a 3'' backing plate with small pads for smaller areas. 

Will these pads be OK or do you think I should possibly get a less aggressive pad? 

Might be best going from orange pad to white pad, then black. Going from orange straight to black is too big a jump IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, valvedoctor46 said:

Might be best going from orange pad to white pad, then black. Going from orange straight to black is too big a jump IMO.

Cheers. Might pick one up. Got In2detailing just down the road so will pop in at some point and pick one up. 

Definitely worth doing. Your lucky to have In2detailing to hand aswell. By the way, it would be worth trying the white pad first to see if that's all that's needed to correct your paint. You can always move up to the more aggressive orange pad if need be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, valvedoctor46 said:

Definitely worth doing. Your lucky to have In2detailing to hand aswell. By the way, it would be worth trying the white pad first to see if that's all that's needed to correct your paint. You can always move up to the more aggressive orange pad if need be.

Yeah. Might be best. It's covered in swirls. Was previously owned by an oap who I'm guessing took it to the scratch and shine on a regular basis. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:42, Ajscott598 said:

I have had a go at the bonnet today. Went for the orange hex pad and madcow heavy cut. This is it yet to be refined.... 

Screenshot_20180211-144158.jpg

Screenshot_20180211-144146.jpg

A massive improvement from what I can see in the pics. Nice work.