Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI 2012 - Services

Hi all. 

I just need some confirmation on what services are needed on a 1.8 L 118 kW petrol 7 speed Skoda. Mine is at 60,000 km. 

1. Is it true the fuel filter does NOT need servicing ever? Handbook states only for diesels.

2. The 7 sp DSG gear box oil and filter does NOT need servicing ever? Handbook states only for 6 speed.

3. Ribbed/toothed V-belt (is this the timing belt?) - does not need servicing ever? Handbook states inspect only and change at 150,000 km: "Replace toothed belt (diesel engines PD)." What does PD mean? Does this mean it is only for diesel engines? 

4. Spark plugs change at 90,000 km as handbook states (it says "in addition every 90,000km").

5. Oil & filter change every 15,000 km.

6. Dust and pollen filters?? Are these the same thing? Are there one or two? The handbook states every 60,000 km. I'm guessing these are relating to the cabin only.

7. As it then states to change air filter "in addition every 90,000 km" ... is this the long one in the engine bay?

8. Change oil in Haldex coupling every three years - what is this? My mechanic didn't know anything about it. 

9. Brake fluid every 3 years first then every 2 years.

and finally...

10. Lambda probe - when do you change this? The handbook only has a tick box for it to say if it was done or not every service. 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, cloudburster said:

Hi all. 

I just need some confirmation on what services are needed on a 1.8 L 118 kW petrol 7 speed Skoda. Mine is at 60,000 km. 

1. Is it true the fuel filter does NOT need servicing ever? Handbook states only for diesels.

2. The 7 sp DSG gear box oil and filter does NOT need servicing ever? Handbook states only for 6 speed.

3. Ribbed/toothed V-belt (is this the timing belt?) - does not need servicing ever? Handbook states inspect only and change at 150,000 km: "Replace toothed belt (diesel engines PD)." What does PD mean? Does this mean it is only for diesel engines? 

4. Spark plugs change at 90,000 km as handbook states (it says "in addition every 90,000km").

6. Dust and pollen filters?? Are these the same thing? Are there one or two? The handbook states every 60,000 km. I'm guessing these are relating to the cabin only.

7. As it then states to change air filter "in addition every 90,000 km" ... is this the long one in the engine bay?

8. Change oil in Haldex coupling every three years - what is this? My mechanic didn't know anything about it. 

and finally...

10. Lambda probe - when do you change this? The handbook only has a tick box for it to say if it was done or not every service. 

Cheers!

Your 1.8tsi has a cam chain so no toothed timing belt to change.

Fuel filter - I'd still change it!

Dust and Polen filter - same thing.

Hadlex copling - is the 4wd fluid coupling. If your is just front wheel drive (probably) it doesnt have one. Your garage should know this.

The change bake fluid intervals are very imporant as brake fuid is hydroscopic (absorbs water)  .

In addition - worth getting the timing chain tensioner checked/replaced to ensure it's the latest revision

Edited by bigjohn
  • Thanks 1

Fuel Filter / Life Long,   so they are available as a replacement part because sensible to replace.

DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch has no Service / Maintenance Schedule, or need for an Oil Change, 

but then starting 2012 there was a world wide recall to change the Synthetic Oil for Mineral, and do a software update, extend the warranty, 

in New Zealand even replace the MCU.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign 

Since Europe is not part of the World for VW Group, just a service campaign.

'34F7' to change the oil & do the software update, 

?

So has that been done or was your DSG one that did not need this done Free by Skoda?

• Thanks 1

Again, I have to say my dealer has stated (during sales negotiation) that the service department says the 7 speed box as fitted to a 1.4 superb (dq200 afaik) now requires a service costing £189 every three years, regardless of mileage.

I've not seen any evidence to support their statement anywhere else.

If you had a cambelt, Skoda UK recommends cambelt be changed every 5 years, and as the same with VAG UK brands, this is at odds with Europe and the rest of the world, which have an inspect and check routine on their service with change at something like 110-130,000 miles. Continental who make and supply the cambelt system have long claimed they are lifetime, whatever that means.

I have had good experience with spark plug longevity, the NGK iridium platinum on the 1.2tsi engines have lasted well to 60,000 miles. I have even run a set to 84,000 miles but I wouldn't recommend it.

Your car has afaik double platinum plugs, these are not as durable and should be changed at 40,000 miles max.

In 45 years of motoring never needed to change a petrol fuel filter and I keep them for 150,000 miles. Always been a lifetime part, different to diesels which do require changing.

Depending where you live pollen filters can last a long time. Its easy enough to remove them yourself to check and give them a shake and a bash to remove leaves and bugs and some dust. Inspection or musty smells will tell you if you need to change. On the other hand they are very cheap from ECP and other places and you can treat yourself to the carbon activated (odour eater) ones or even the very latest Mann Frecious ones (£7 from Ecp when on 50% sale) which your dealer would charge a fortune for, these are touted on some german marques now as a cost extra feature (biological filter or some other marketing hype) for some ridiculous price!

If you have 4x4 the haldex oil needs changing regularly or it will die leaving you a big bill.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Answer: FALSE replace is recommended at every 2 years or 45K km which ever came first.

Answer : TRUE timing chain need no replacement unless defective, in my manual (CDAA) is stated to be inspected at every 240K km

Answer: TRUE spark plugs need replacement at every 90K km mine are Iridium Denso  VK 22 First time I replaced them at 75K km and second time at 88K km interval. picture attached.

Answer: TRUE

Answer: depends on the environment where car is used. More dust and pollution require frequent replacement even to 10K km. 

Answer : yes your identification is correct, depends on the environment but I will consider not more than 30K km in my country.

and finally...

Answer: TRUE as is stated, however I will synchronized with pads and rotors replacement (pads lasted to me 80K km and rotors 160K km)

Lambda probe will last longer if you drive the engine on normal rpm shifting between 2500 - 3000 rpm. Fuel economy indicator will ask to shift at lower revs but will affect the pleasure to enjoy engine power HP not Nm..... ;)

P_20180207_133124_vHDR_Auto.jpg

• Thanks 1