New Brakes

100 € less than the official way? Autodoc currently sells both the Brembo front discs and pads I have on my car for 76.42 + shipping. If you shopped around, you'd surely get them even cheaper.

These are the cheapest discs said site offers, which are the 282mm rear discs.

brakes111.thumb.png.d0eb078bc325c349316b5731c06ddda3.png

Brake discs-pads are consumables and are priced accordingly, at least in other places.

UV coated 282mm discs from Autodoc:

brakes222.thumb.png.e92fdcebd21f669923148a7061f4d390.png

Brakes are wear items like tires. Do you also buy OEM tires? Because the local dealership is interested in asking more for the same product.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

14 hours ago, Juhagpl said:

It is apple vs pear.

for sure aftermarket much cheaper, but in my view only ATE is very close to the oem brakes. The rest is just something.... deformating etc...

So those supercar manufacturers who specify Brembo have overlooked something?

• Haha 1

As we know, 'supercar manufacturers', even VW Group with Porsche, Veyron, Buggatti, Lambourghini might not be penny pinching with rather garbage OEM parts, 

as to Skoda, VW, SEAT and Audi that is a whole different kettle of fish, 

or just brakes, suspension, tyres etc. Stack high from the suppliers supplying cheap and flog as many complete vehicles as you can.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chimaera said:

So those supercar manufacturers who specify Brembo have overlooked something?

A fundamental difference between OE and Aftermarket braking parts. The Brembo parts you buy from ECP etc are Aftermarket parts, manufactured somewhere random with a licence to use Brembo branding. It is NOT the same factory that makes OE Ferrari brake pads/discs.

The same is true for ALL brake parts bought with non vehicle manufacturer branding/packaging, be it Pagid, Bosch, Textar, Jurid, Ate etc. Even if they actually were an OE supplier for a particular manufacturer/car the parts are highly unlikely to be made on the same production line/location. 

All brake pads and brake discs* sold in the EU have to conform with ECE R90 regulations. So, in theory, they all should fit and perform very similarly to OE pads or discs. Whether they wear as well etc is another matter. Some may very well wear better, of that I have no doubt.

And there is another major issue. Skoda and VAG dealers will often supply and fit "Fourplus" parts to cars. These are simply cheaper aftermarket parts that have the blessing of VAG UK to be called "genuine parts" by dealers, but they are not.

They simply are not OE, but aftermarket.

https://tps.trade/fourplus-parts

Are OE parts any better though? 

Having said all that, just last week, I had a go at fettling the front original discs on one of the 63 plate fabias. The one that does regular high speed high mileage runs on the motorway. The discs developed strange darkly coloured high ridges on the inner 10-15 mm and outer 5-10 mm of the disc. Imagine my surprise when hammering the edge rust off the circumference, I decided to give this ridge a bash, and it flaked away in big rusty lumps. The disc had subsurface rust and had laminated.

So much for OE quality!

*ECE R90 is not compulsory for discs fitted to vehicles manufactured before Nov 2016

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECE_Regulation_90

https://tmdfriction.com/ece-r-90-regulation-for-brake-discs-and-brake-drums/

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

I fully agree above. 

The rear disc is bit cheaper at brembo but in hungary the front disc is nearly the same price. For 170hp i would not play with aftermarket, maybe for fabias yes. 

In my previous cars the front disc always waved after 1 year even if i had no hard brakes in highway.

so now i collected the price for an aftermarket set (bosch, ate, brembo) and it is not really cheaper.

Anyway i just wanted to help if somebody wants to order oem brakes or any other stuff there.

cheers ; )

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 11:32, Juhagpl said:

Hello All

i am not sure if You know that, but i am front of brake renewal, and found a good website.

for all brakes and pads it is more then 100eur less then from the official way.

Not sure how you will balance price and quality, just an example from yesterday brake repair performed at 160K km to my car:

- front axle rotor 1 pcs - Ate - 230 RON / 50E and Ate brake pads set  - 208 RON - 45E

- rear axle rotors 2 pcs - Ate - 335 RON / 72E and Ate brake pads set - 148 RON - 32E

I always go for quality parts for my personal safety and comfort.

P_20180205_112826_PN.jpg

17 minutes ago, safari hunter said:

- front axle rotor 1 pcs - Ate - 230 RON / 50E and Ate brake pads set  - 208 RON - 45E

- rear axle rotors 2 pcs - Ate - 335 RON / 72E and Ate brake pads set - 148 RON - 32E

I always go for quality parts for my personal safety and comfort

You only changed one front disc (rotor)?

• Like 2

Awaoffski; that's an amazing pic! Is that the original position of the weights? If so, why would they be placed off-centre like that?

Just to be clear, is the total 25 kg or are they 3 x 25 kg - they look pretty chunky?

With all of the emphasis on trying to make cars lighter for better fuel economy, it is just bizarre to find Skoda adding ballast!

MikeHig,  they are there on a Right Hand Drive car.

At the other side on a Left Hand Drive car. 

25KG total. 

They added ballasts to early Audi TT when there were 'Handling issues'.  

http://f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7949 

But VW / Skoda engineers fitted these to Mk2 Fabia vRS Hatches giving the Hatch a Kerb Weight 5kg higher than the 9 3/4" longer Estate Version.  Journalists and Salespeople even boasted about the faster Estate car!

They also fitted a spare wheel as standard to the Skoda Hatch & Estate, so that is another 19kg over the sister cars.

So the Polo got the Battery in the Boot and no Spare wheel as standard, and 215/40 R 17 Tyre as did the Ibiza & the A1 185ps instead of 205/40 R 17.

(the Polo & Ibiza & A1 can have tow bars fitted, the Fabia vRS can not.)

The Ibiza and the Polo 3 & 5 door weighed more actually and later the Kerb Weights were corrected,

but the Polo & A1 were given lower Co2 g/km figures and so were a VED group lower. From 2013 the Ibiza with the same engine as the Fabia had the VED band go 1 lower as well.

That is where VW Testing / cheating comes in with Irregular / Implausible Co2 g/km results.

If you stick 'Success Ballast' weights in a BTCC you handycap it.   Weights from 9kg - 75kg.

VW Group put 25kg at the rearmost point of a road car, and make the front go light under acceleration, and they seem to think that is an Engineering solution.

They never found the need to do it on the other Fabia like a Monte Carlo with 105 ps. 

Who adds weights to improve a cars 'safety', improve the handling and braking?

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1