How to gain access behind grill?

Hi everybody, my first post here ☺️

Does anyboday happen to know how to gain access to the rear of the front grills...I have something I want to fit there.

I've spent the entire weekend trying but can only get stuff partially removed...couldn't even get the headlights out!!

Thanks in advance for any assistsnce

Welcome to Briskoda!

The main 'bonnet' grill or the lower grill?

Image result for skoda kodiaq front

On some models Skoda used access panels to gain access to the foglights and DRL's (daytime running lights) on some older models, but on the Kodiaq there is no reason to gain access as the DRL's are integrated into the headlights and the fog lights are mounted up high.

Image result for skoda fog light bulb change

Image result for skoda fog light bulb change

The only way in will be from underneath by removing the lower engine cover, or through the wheel arch by removing the wheel arch liner or by completely removing the front bumper.

I hope the item your wanting to retrofit is worth it!

Last year I hit a pheasant in my Octavia Scout and smashed a few of the vertical fins on the main grill. Much to my amusement Skoda changed the design shortly after launch (MY15) so that the grill is now plastic welded to the main bumper (i.e. one piece), so for a new grill I'd need a full front bumper, plus painting, or several hundred pounds! I sourced a second hand grill off eBay and had a local bodyshop plastic weld it onto my existing undamaged bumper. That's progress for you, well done Skoda!

Edited by silver1011

Thanks for the reply...☺️

I really need access to both the main and lower grills.

Thanks for the detailed post ...I will have a crack at it again this weekend.

I'm actually just wanting to mount a LED Lightbar in there as I did in my old Freelander II. I thought it wouldn't work to well but a very high percentage of light made it out. At a guess I'd say 95%.. and the Freelander grill was much thicker/wider than the Kodiaq.

The standard adaptive LED lighting is quite good but in Australia it's best to have mobile daylight  as kangaroos and wombats scurry about at night. Roos can get to well over 100kg and wombats are locally called 'fury rocks'...both have the ability to damage a car beyond repair !!!

If I can get it done I will post a review/guide with photos.

Regards

Marc

• Like 1

If your car has pedestriat detection, automatic emergency braking (AEB) or adaptive cruiser control (ACC) you should not fiddle around the sensitive grill radar. It's enough that you get a bit of dirt or snow on there for the system to malfunction. If you want more illumination, position your lights under the grill into the black plastic (be sure you avoid front parking sensors, if you have them), or buy a "glow-in-the-dark MB LED star badge" and replace your škoda badge. Is it just me or putting this on a 100 000 dollar vehicle reduces the value.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is an extra for 500 bucks and people actualy buy them! They rather spend that than get interior extras for comfort. I mean seriously who would buy this? How self absorbed you need to be.... On the other hand i would pay 500 bucks more for the car to NOT HAVE THIS ON or that you would get the merc star hood ornament.

mercedes-hood-ornament-close-up.JPG

I miss the old days, when style actualy meant something and Mercedes made good cars....

Thanks for the suggestions ...☺️

Yes I have all options on the car, Australian Kodiaqs come standard with lots of good options but I also got what they call the Luxury and Tech packs (and sunroof).

My intention has been to mount the light bar between the front sensors so I bought one that fits the gap...but I still need to gain access through both grills.

As it is my ACC is out of shack already... a car moving into my lane from my left gets over half way before my car reacts...conversley it ****s itself if I'm moving past someone in the lane to my right and decellerates or hits the breaks...will get that sorted soon I hope.

But in the meantime I'll continue trying to get access behid the grills.

I'm with you on the glowing merc badges too ...I think they're already pretty "in your face" without lighting up!!! I like the Kodiaqs clean lines which is why I want to have the lightbar concealed...

Sorry to hear about ACC problems.

It seems that systems like ACC, lane assist and traffic sign recognition work best on european right-side-driven roads. They were reported issues with ACC on this forum (UK) and with lane assist in the US on VW Tiggys due to different lane line-pattern.

Hope you succesfuly instal your lights and if you do happen do hit any jumping rats, i hear they make a good goulash.

Edited by McGyles

• 2 years later...

AusKodiaq, just wondering if you were able to fit the light bar?

I recently purchased a nudge bar fron Sweden which I need to fit.

How difficult was it to gain access behind the grille and front bumper.

On 31/01/2018 at 22:08, AusKodiaq said:

y it ****s itself if I'm moving past someone in the lane to my right and decellerates or hits the breaks...will get that sorted soon I hope.

Turn off the undertaking protection thingo with VCDS.  I don't have the screenshot with me but it's a tick box.  Essential for Australia where lane discipline is non-existent.

6 hours ago, wokwon said:

Turn off the undertaking protection thingo with VCDS.  I don't have the screenshot with me but it's a tick box.  Essential for Australia where lane discipline is non-existent.

or just tap the accelerator & it will ignore that car...

1 minute ago, vRSNZ said:

or just tap the accelerator & it will ignore that car...

AusKodiaq and I are in Victoria, where using the accelerator is considered hooning behaviour and carries a fine and demerits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wokwon said:

AusKodiaq and I are in Victoria, where using the accelerator is considered hooning behaviour and carries a fine and demerits.

Far call.  Gently caress the accelerator?

😂

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

AusKodiaq how did you go with gaining access for the light bar retrofit ? 

This might not be perfect but you may have a work around with some of these listed items ol

https://www.autobarn.com.au/batteries-electrical/lighting/mounting-hardware

Or you also have this option from Steddi ?

https://autoelecoz.com.au/product/stedi-number-plate-light-mounting-bracket/