Headlight upgrade

Hi all. Been reading up on virtually every topic regarding dipped beam upgrade bulbs, but haven't found anything definitive...

I've just purchased a 2007 Octavia 1.9 tdi Elegance and hate the dull yellow lights. It has headlamp washers and appears to have halogen H7 bulbs fitted, with  what appears to be a small black ballast built in to the unit (between dipped and side light bulb).

Am I right in thinking a decent H7 bulb would be best?

Any recommendations for a bright white bulb?

I do have a HID kit with ballast that would fit in the back of the headlight cover, which I had on a previous 05 plate 1.9 tdi, which I was hoping to fit. Would this work? I'm concerned it won't be compatible 

Edited by Mikey223w

On 29/01/2018 at 22:42, xman said:

Illegal to fit a HID kit in a lamp designed for Halogen. From May 20 2018, this will be specifically checked at the MOT and will be an automatic fail (major).

So don't waste your time.

See section 4.1 here

mot-inspection-manual-for-classes-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

This is true, however, it's not new either, and has been discussed (and argued, and had swords drawn) so many time on here it's un-real. Previously testers had been failing them on wrong colour or beam alignment. I think the spirit is to stop the HID/reflector combination that the boi-racers like to have in their Corsas.

The odd thing with the Elegance is that it has washers, and can have had HIDs from the factory (it was an option). The plastics on the headlights are actually designed to take an HID ballast, even if HIDs are fitted (cheaper to make basically). Given that, even under May's regulations update, a tester cannot remove a cover to inspect an item, and that projectors are on all MKII's, it would be interesting to see how many retro-fit kits get the owner a fail.

Also, IMHO, someone needs a kick about the new regs: someone thought it would be a great idea to exempt cars over 40 years old "because they are usually well maintained." So those cars that should really be tested because of older safety technology (drum brakes for example) now don't need to be tested. That'll be interesting when someone runs into the back of your shiney Octavia in their 1974 Morris Marina with drum brakes that have been worn right down........

What's the betting the instigator of that has a couple of old Jags kicking around that won't pass their MOT. ;) ;) ;)