Does TPMS really work?

I realise that my TPMS never gives me any warning! Last time I did calibrate it when I put air on all tyres...and today when I checked them there was one tyre (front left) with 27kps..rest of them were 32kps. I didn't see any warning on the dash...it happen same couple of months ago as well. Does anyone have any idea what TPMS does? Have you had any useful use of it?

Mine works okay.

How long since you last checked and calibrated? If it's a long time, it *could* be that a very slow loss of pressure isn't detected?

The system on the Octavia does not have wheel mounted sensors, it uses the ABS system to monitor the wheel rotation speeds. If a tyre deflates, that wheel's rotation speed will increase out of proportion to the others, and also exceed the 'learned' values it has calculated within a short period of you resetting the system, after adjusting the pressures.

Passive TPMS does NOT measure your tyre pressure.

It only notices a quick change in a tyres rotation speed as measured from the speed/ABS sensor at each wheel.

If one tyre looses air quickly it will get smaller and will travel faster than the rest/ faster than before.

It will NOT notice any slow change.

You need to check your pressures regularly. The high way code suggests one a week.

Then before you move off reset the TPMS system.

It will also need resetting if you move the tyres/wheel around or have new tyre fitted.

Thanks AG Falco

• Thanks 2

automass,

I am Interested in the UK where you find Air Compressors that have the pressure showing in kps,  or do you use your own pump / gauge?

This TPMS system is totally useless..I remember now in one occasion one of my tyre got deflated as I hit the kurve..but  still TPMS didn't warn me..I do check the pressure once in a month by the way.

Are you setting PSI, not kPa,  what is kps?

Maybe your TPMS is faulty if it does not work.

Why not set all 4 tyres, reset the TPMS, do some driving,  then let 5 psi out a tyre and see if you get a warning?

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Always use my own gauge for consistency. Wouldn’t trust a forecourt gauge, but it’s ok for just blowing up a soft tyre.

Rarely (never) use forecourt air lines. Especially as many/most charge for air now.

Luckily I’ve had a compressor at home for many years plus a selection of gauges that are close enough to each other to keep me happy. Latest digital air gun can select Bar, PSI or MiniPascals or whatever they are nowadays :)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, automass said:

This TPMS system is totally useless..I remember now in one occasion one of my tyre got deflated as I hit the kurve..but  still TPMS didn't warn me..I do check the pressure once in a month by the way.

It's a tyre pressure monitoring system, not a kurve detector? :blink:

Personally I'd check wheel and tyre for damage immediately if I hit a kerb/curve/cave/whatever...

• Haha 1

Filling Station Tyre Inflators you put 20 or 50 pence in are calibrated, and you can inflate tyres higher than needed if required, then check how accurate with your own device, deflate the air you paid for even to your 'accurate' gauge if it is of a quality that is 'Calibrated'. 

Millions of vehicles on the roads are running what a Tyre Centre or garage set them at, or what went in at filling stations. 

Worth every penny, which is not that many, about 9 litres of fuel.

69924-2.jpg.f9a94a0d8d2b903b23bb6b85d7168a82.jpg

ven_tyre_pres_gauge_d1.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Thanks 1

As above, can highly recommend a proper pressure gauge. I have the race X one and it's great. I use my own compressor to inflate the tyres (which has a gauge itself) and then double check the pressure with the race X gauge and adjust as necessary.

As for whether TPMS works or not, I'd say yes. Alerted me once and when I checked the tyre it flagged, it had a nail in it. Was far from flat so wasn't obvious.

I think Octavia's TPMS is different than other model as someone above said..mine never worked unless I remove the tyre...I had quick deflated tyres in many occasions, but still TPMS didn't trigger. 

But anyway, I should test it as someone suggested above to calibrating TPMS and release some psi from one tyre...

Thanks everyone for the reply..I am also thinking of buying tyre pressure monitoring system which works with wifi/bluetooth.. if anyone can recommend one should be great. 

I have had several nail/screw punctures over 3.5 years on these tyres and my TPMS system has warned me of the specific tyre when it suffered pressure loss.

I've also had two general pressure warnings which were pretty accurate as all tyres were a bit low compared to the higher pressures I now run them at.

An essential bit of kit as far as I am concerned as a deflating tyre is not always obvious when driving at higher speed on a straight road.

Picked up a screw in front tyre last week and system identified it accurately, checked the tyre and it didn't look flat but it needed air.

Not sure what a 63 plate car is but mine was built April 2015

Edited by Gadget007

I had the tyre pressure warning pop up on my way to Gatwick on Sunday...It didn't tell me which tyre was the problem, it simply said tyre pressure loss detected. However, I checked all the tyres a soon as possible and they were all fine and at the correct pressure! God know's why it had a dicky fit!

Mine keeps warning me about my rear left and yes it does have a slow leak. 

Bad tyres are a real safety problem and cause however many accidents a year some very serious. 

1 hour ago, daveface said:

I had the tyre pressure warning pop up on my way to Gatwick on Sunday...It didn't tell me which tyre was the problem, it simply said tyre pressure loss detected. However, I checked all the tyres a soon as possible and they were all fine and at the correct pressure! God know's why it had a dicky fit!

I had something similar after a spirited overtake.  I wondered if the tyre pressures were very slightly out and the increased speed was then just enough to trigger the warning.  I did stop and check all the pressures though and then reset the system.

• Like 1

It 100% works. Where it fails is when you start driving with a deflated tire, as the system needs a bit of driving to detect a problem. Therefore, it is mandatory to visually check the car - btw, this should be normal practice before every driving, and not only to inspect the wheels.

Not only it detects pressure loss in single tire, it is also able to detect normal pressure loss of all 4 tires, during normal exploitation of vehicle. From my experience it warns on pressure loss above 0,2 bar.

So far never had false alarms on the white car (2017), probably due to very low profile or the system is newer. Black one (2013) is on 16" and it did false alarm a few times.

You need to check that your tyre pressures are correct using a gauge, then press the button on the menu to confirm everything is ok. Then your TPMS is set to work.

Bad luck having repeated sudden tyre deflations in your Skoda.

7 minutes ago, gregoir said:

You need to check that your tyre pressures are correct using a gauge, then press the button on the menu to confirm everything is ok. Then your TPMS is set to work.

Bad luck having repeated sudden tyre deflations in your Skoda.

That's what I do...inflate them all and then set TPMS. By the way, when I touch the button to set it goes gray for a while and then come back normal but doesn't show any confirmation dialogue or doesn't give me confirmation sound..does it sound correct?