'Setting the mirror surfaces synchronously'

My new Octavia SE. I read through the owner's manual and was puzzled by the optional setting stated on page 82, "Setting the mirror surfaces synchronously". I could not understand why it would be an advantage to set the two wing mirrors synchronously but after a bit of experimenting, I got the point. What this setting allows is, after you have set up the mirrors as you want for normal driving, with the above setting selected, when you are reversing into a parking slot, you can select the driver's mirror and make it point down and the passenger mirror will also point down to give you a better view of the sides and rear of the car. It's only slightly more useful than just selecting the passenger mirror adjust and pointing that mirror down. Either way, the mirror movement is so slow, I think I am not going to use it very often. or am I still not getting the point of this option? 

That was my take on it...

Its a kind of crappy solution to not having the memory mirrors with the sensor that allows them to dip automatically when reversing.

1 hour ago, Bigtow said:

a fellow member tried to turn the dipping mirror feature on when selecting reverse on my car but it wont work for some reason

I have had the dipping mirror on reverse activated and don't have seat memory. 

You have to have the mirror control set to the passenger side. Then when put into reverse it dips slightly. The downside is that the mirror then stays in that position and will not reset back to the normal position. You have to do it manually.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, AndrewE said:

I have had the dipping mirror on reverse activated and don't have seat memory. 

You have to have the mirror control set to the passenger side. Then when put into reverse it dips slightly. The downside is that the mirror then stays in that position and will not reset back to the normal position. You have to do it manually.

I had this on my 63 plate Vrs, complete waste of time to be honest 

My 66 plate 230 has memory seats and I have set the mirror on the passenger side so I can see the kerbs, saves on scuffing the Extreme alloys

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Thanks 1