Kodiaq AWD System

Hello folk! Does anyone know what's the Kodiaq four wheel drive system?

Is it an always on AWD?

Or just when it senses?

If it's only when required, is it a Front Wheel or Rear Wheel drive?

I have read on these forums how some people are retrofitting the Off Road button on a Kodiaq. Why doesn't Skoda give it as standard as in the magnificent Yeti?

16 hours ago, parambyte said:

Hello folk! Does anyone know what's the Kodiaq four wheel drive system?

Is it an always on AWD?

Or just when it senses?

If it's only when required, is it a Front Wheel or Rear Wheel drive?

I have read on these forums how some people are retrofitting the Off Road button on a Kodiaq. Why doesn't Skoda give it as standard as in the magnificent Yeti?

It is Haldex Gen 5, same as the Yeti

Edited by andyvee

The system is smart but can it boil an egg?!

Joke aside, yes it's always on. It's has a Haldex pro-active coupling so it sends power depending on throttle, vehicle speed and slip. Kodiaq has XDS+ system of EDL which means they always brake wheels and redistribute power even when cornering, that's why it feels "golf-like" to drive.

The OF (Off-road) button is only for:

- hill-descent control (automatic braking when going downhill)

- off-road ABS which blocks the wheels and enables snow to pile up in front to increase braking

- off-road EDL which breaks the spinning wheel with greater force (but this is more cosmetic)

- some infotainmet cosmetic dials (altitude, wheel direction, compas)

- decreased throttle sensitivity (so you can tap the pedal and nothing happens, you need to push harder to increase RPM)

- drive-off assist holds engine RPM at constant 2500 even when pedal fully depresed, so you can use both feet on pedals

Kodiaq is NOT an off an road vehicle, STOP. It doesn't have good ap/dep angles, ground clearance or proper centre/axle diff locks. It's for rain/snow and driving on un-paved roads and offer superior stability and grip on the road. The off-road button is for those inexperience drivers to be able to drive up/down a hilly road when snowing.

The OF button is cheap and if you don't feel secure on the road in deep snow (more than 50mm), than take it. If you live far away from any major hills and if you can't wait to take your car out when it's snowing to drift in roundabouts and are secure enough to do donuts in parking lots, than it's a waste of money.

12 hours ago, andyvee said:

It only intervenes below 30km/h.

Incorrect, I am pleased to know! Perhaps you are thinking of the downhill assist thingy or the green slope dashboard light. However, if the light is out and the car is doing more than 30kph rest assured the OFF ROAD MODE (whilst still showing as on, on the switch itself) is still operative for LOTS of other things... :biggrin:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elephantstone76 said:

Even for that will consider a set of Winter tyres to go on as well, not a mud plugger as such

Just remember:

4x2 with summer tyres < 4x4 with summer tyres < 4x2 with winter tyres < 4x4 with winter tyres

Tested this myself, even a proper off-roader in low-range with summer tyres is worse off in snow than a 4x2 with proper winter tyres.

57 minutes ago, freedie said:

Incorrect, I am pleased to know! Perhaps you are thinking of the downhill assist thingy or the green slope dashboard light. However, if the light is out and the car is doing more than 30kph rest assured the OFF ROAD MODE (whilst still showing as on, on the switch itself) is still operative for LOTS of other things... :biggrin:

Like?

This is Kodiaq with the OF off (doesn't have it equiped), it's filmed by russians so you know they will push it to the limit...

This is the new Tiguan on 3 rollers (don't mind the Suby), with the mode selection (similar to OF button), it tests the difference between modes:

I believe Škoda 4x4 is a little better set than Tiguan 4motion due to this roller test of Superb 4x4 from the same author:

I watched a video before from BMW which showed 2 X3's one with Winter tyres and one without on an indoor ski slope, the car with no winter tyres makes it about 35% of the way up whereas the other made it all the way up.  Both were 4 wheel drive

I also live in Scotland so its below 7 degrees here for at least 6 months of the year!!

Now i have told you a million times, do not exaggerate!

Scotland or parts of it might well be below 7*oC much of the year, but that does not make it some polar hell.

Plenty 2 wd cars, even Motorbikes get around in the weeks where the average temp is 0*oC for 7 days. 

Like 4 weeks this winter in PH20, DD8 post codes this year. 

Even little old ladies or gentlemen in a VW Polo / Kia Picanto / Nissan Leaf can get around if snow gates are not closed and are not slip sliding off the roads or into kerbs like many in big heavy AWD's on the wrong tyres, or just the tyres fitted and the vehicle not driven to the conditions.

1 minute ago, AwaoffSki said:

Now i have told you a million times, do not exaggerate!

Scotland or parts of it might well be below 7*oC much of the year, but that does not make it some polar hell.

Plenty 2 wd cars, even Motorbikes get around in the weeks where the average temp is 0*oC for 7 days. 

Like 4 weeks this winter in PH20, DD8 post codes this year. 

Even little old ladies or gentlemen in a VW Polo / Kia Picanto / Nissan Leaf can get around if snow gates are not closed and are not slip sliding off the roads or into kerbs like many in big heavy AWD's on the wrong tyres, or just the tyres fitted and the vehicle not driven to the conditions.

Lol dont disagree there, I am just thinking safety, the kodiaq for me is a family car for hauling the kids around, my thinking on winter tyres is more just for that added level of safety, rather than turning into a polar explorer.  I never have any intent of taking it offroad or out when the conditions do on the odd occasion turn nasty, Im going on if I use winters for the 6 months it saves wear on the summers.

Do that then,

get it and fit decent tyres, because what is fitted OEM for delivery in the UK is ridiculous. 

I had a Karoq AWD DSG out on Bridgestone Duelers. they were as pants as those tyres have always been.

Once I get the car I will look at Wheel and Tyre combinations for the winter, I will either buy another set of alloys at 19 inch or get smaller wheels and open up a wider range of winters to me.

Plenty of time, dont take delivery until Mid May

6 hours ago, Elephantstone76 said:

Here is a good video showing 2wd and 4wd with and without winters on an indoor ski slope

Seems winters are better than summer in either 2wd and 4wd guise

Hardly surprising, it doesn't matter how many wheels have drive if you have no grip.

It does seem to be common sense I agree, for someone who has never used winter tyres it can be a confusing thing to look at.  Next thing I will need to look into is the whole going down sizes on wheels and tyres from 19 to something smaller!!.  I know though that there are a few threads that should be able to assist on this one as well.

17" is the recommended size.

Has the added bonus that they tyres are cheaper than the 19" ones, so for 4 months of the year you are wearing down cheaper tyres :)

My last Octavia 3 had 50k on the clock when I handed it back on the original summer tyres, with about 3mm tread all round. The winters were down to about 5mm so still serviceable.

PS: Got a little question.

On what tyres do Škoda's come from the factory in winter? Summer, winter, M+S? If they come with summer how can they expect their clients to drive them home or to a shop to buy winter tyres in the winter if it's snowing?

Problem with some people is that they don't know how to drive (in the snow) and no matter how many wheels have power (4x4, 6x6, 8x8 or tracks) they will still drive worse than experienced drivers in 4x2 who know how to handle winter conditions.

This video is a prime example: