Kodiaq AWD System

17 minutes ago, McGyles said:

PS: Got a little question.

On what tyres do Škoda's come from the factory in winter? Summer, winter, M+S? If they come with summer how can they expect their clients to drive them home or to a shop to buy winter tyres in the winter if it's snowing?

I take it that is in jest?

In the UK Winter tyres are not compulsory, and in the southern half of the UK I wouldn't bother fitting them

In fact, in the UK most drivers would benefit from all-season or all weather tyres, but the OEMs just fit nice low profile 'summer' tyres as we like our Carlos Fandango wheels in the UK.

1 minute ago, andyvee said:

In the UK Winter tyres are not compulsory, and in the southern half of the UK I wouldn't bother fitting them.

Seriously? Here it's mandatory equipment, even though we don't get much snow lately (global warming and stuff). You need either:

- winter tyres with sufficient thread (police checks)

- if summer tyres fitted, snow chains in the boot, if snowing snow chains fitted on tyres

There are fines for causing traffic problems and conjestion due to not being prepared for winter.

I ask because dealers here sell cars as they come out of the factory, and that's on summer tyres. Don't know how they expect you to drive them home or to a garage to buy and fit winter tyres. The dealership is limited at the tyre choice and i doubt they even have all the sizes they sell (Audi, Škoda, Seat and VW). They don't even have winter tyres for sale only M+S Continentals.

In most countries that winter tyres are compulsory you can specify them as a factory option was what I was lead to believe.

UK dealers will sell winter wheels and tyres, but you need to force the issue a bit as they don't really know which ones ........ and they may not be the cheapest on the tyres.

Most of the big tyre retailers (like KwikFit) have a push on winter tyres around November time, they are becoming more popular in the UK, but having a second set of winter wheels is still a bit of a novelty.

I haven't spent much time in challenging terrains in my life and I don't know what off-road expectations anyone might have (maybe tackling a camel trophy?) but both from the comparative video in the 1st page and from this one, it seems the Kodiaq's AWD system is quite capable, no? If it's able to clear such steep obstacles as pictured in the videos I would reckon it's off-roady enough for most owners. It definitely seems to perform  better than most useless compact SUV's out there today (say the Tiguan) that are no different to a AWD family estate, those are practically only better in rain and paved road but the Kodiaq is happy (or seems at least based on the tests) to accept some demanding off-road tasks.

Which actually brings me to my question, how is the power shuffled left to right in the rear axle? Is there another diff there (other than the Haldex unit between front and rear)? To my knowledge a Golf R is not able to shuffle power between rear left and rear right (and I thought they share the same AWD system)

newbie69, 

all lovely stuff, as about every manufacturer shows at a Launch / Press day on offroad sites and tracks, 

then if you take them on the tyres the cars come with into 3 or 4 inches of muddy slime it is a totally different story quite often.

That is why the are soft roaders.  Same thing taking them up a farm track that 4x4's or tractors use with a 10" high hump in the middle.

Horses for courses and sometimes showing off on offroad courses where you know ever hump and yump and angle and no wading or mud plugging is required.

Big heavy lumps on all season or even Winter Certified tyres can be going bot very far in mud.

Snow and prepared winter roads might be a different thing.

As for dropping the sill of a 2 tonne vehicle hard on a hard surface gets expensive, as does pulling off the front of a decorative front spoiler.

Bob does well crossing this burn damage free. Or nearly damage free.

It would have been good to see if they went back that way and went across the burn and out...

Edited by AwaoffSki

Had a chance of testing the bear on the snow. Measured the hight of the snow -> 35cm, wet compacted snow, not frozen over

Tested with 2 of my cars:

- Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 140kW 4x4 DSG with no OF (off-road) mode, runs on Continental wintercontact ts 850 P 100H (new)

- Jeep GC (WJ) 4.7 V8 with QD, runs on Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 (6mm of thread left)

Tested on the way to my family home. Twisty road, up a hill, gravel road, fresh snow on the road (first one to drive on it).

Kodiaq went first. Normal mode, very secure, pushes snow in front, stopped up the hill. Had to reverse a bit, get momentum and repead. Did that 3 times and made it up. ASR only intervenes at about 2500 RPM, which is too high in the rev range-wheels start spinning. Best grip with ASR on (and later Snow mode selected) between 1500 and 2000 RPM. Pulls like a tractor (in a good way) very stable (no side slip).

Jeep in 4HI had problems. it's rear wheel drive started to push me off the road into the ditch, before the front wheel power started to kick-in. Put it into 4LOW and was even better than Kodiaq (as expected).

Kodiaq is very sovereign on the snow when going straight and on level ground or slight inclination, no wheel spin or side motion, but when you try to turn 90 degrees from the road into a driveway or up a steep hill you need momentum to push the snow infront if there is more than 20cm of snow on the road.

Jeep GC is allover the place in 4HI, very stable in 4LOW.

Jeep 4HI < Kodiaq 4x4 < Jeep 4LOW

Very plased with it's performance, expected less from Haldex and low ground clearance.

**Side note: up the hill Kodiaq plowed through all the snow down to the gravel, so it had less grip with snow tires and had to push 35cm of snow in front, when driving on flat terrain it compressed the snow so it had more grip and less resistance.**