Aspman

So I've worked in and around IT for 19 years. I can strip and rebuild  PC in a couple of hours.

I've built websites, networked entire buildings, set up business satellite systems, can work dozens of operating sysems, I've worked on systems worth millions and regularly function as a Cyber Security Architect.

I've gamed on various systems for more than 30years....

I cannot figure out WTF is going on in Minecraft at all. Not a thing I have no ****ing idea.

My son loves it but isn't playing it properly either. He runs around beating square pigs to death with a square arm with no fingers.

Square white things kill us, square green things explode.

How does this work, what do I do, WTF?

I tried to look up Amazon for a book on how to get started, they have dozens of books but none that say "WTF is Minecraft for Parents".

It worries me that I can manage Elite, Skyrim, Counterstrike etc but not this.

• Like 1

Don't use survival mode - use one of the other modes like creative so that you don't have to battle against stuff and can just build stuff.

Try it that way and it is surprisingly addictive...

Minecraft....

my nemesis..been playing solo survival since it came out....

I use it to relax & sort my brain out.....mainly by building big stuff...yes in survival...

Green things that explode (creeper).....will do if within a small radius...usually approach fast & hit..then retreat until they stop "expanding" the go in again & repeat....that's if with a basic stone sword...

Or bow & arrow from distance..or just go in & kill if diamond sword...

white square things that kill you??......you in the nether? thast a Ghast which shoots fireballs...fecking nightmare...I now enter the nether with fire resistance potitions consumed.... then kill several blazes (required for fire resistance potions)...then go about getting what material items I need.....just don't hit/kill a pigman....

Full wiki page

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Minecraft_Wiki

Edited by fabdavrav

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Aspman said:

I bought a pack of books.

If I get some time I'll try again.

the boy still likes hitting pigs with sticks

Ha ha...

Minecraft is totally unlike other games you play as there is no real structure...ie they are all different, & the "aim" is achievable in a matter of minutes (look up fastest Minecraft speed run)...or just amble your way around building stuff.. 

Other shot em ups etc have fixed landscapes which you can't really change (unless in certain modes) & the you know that there will always be this mob in this place & you kill it this way...

Minecraft has that with the bigger mobs, but the smaller one just appear around the corner & you have to be on you guard all the time....or be very good at making defensive transit zones/routes...

Its a completely different mindset that is required to navigate the game....

Edited by fabdavrav

On 31/01/2018 at 16:38, Aspman said:

It worries me that I can manage Elite, Skyrim, Counterstrike etc but not this.

I'd stick with those, if I were you... I already play the first two myself, having tried Minecraft and gotten rather bored rather quickly.

So I have progressed and have got to the point now where I can make iron tools.

I have made a small hut with a deep mine underneath.

I have a fence outside

I now need to figure out how to put animals in the fence. I'm assuming they will hump and breed.

I have some more questions. I dig out lots of stuff, how do you get rid of it. I've got tons of dirt and lots of rather boring types of stone.

In my mine which goes down about 30 blocks. I've found some iron and some coal. That's about as interesting as it gets. But I can hear moaning at the bottom now. Are there some doggers down there?

How deep do you need to go to get the good stuff?

animals require feeding  with specific food eg wheat for cows & sheep, carrots for pigs...then they will breed....

& coal & iron you will find in cave above the base water level....when you go right down to the bedrock you can't go further unless you find a hole through the bedrock & fall into the void....

diamonds emerald etc you find on the lowest lava level...about 14 levels up from bottom....best is to dig across until you find a lava lake & then dig tunnels at the level of the lava...

I dug mine to 3x3 size which is the same spec as the abandoned mines...& basically dug them between far overland bases, so now have huge minecart network ...

& to get rid of stuff you don't want click & hold on item in inventory & move cursor off inventory & do this beside a lava block ...basically throwing into the lava....

• Like 1