Looking at a Rapid. Help please.

8 minutes ago, simon1304 said:

Injector/ECU.    It was a 1.6 cr tdi (the infamous EA189 engine but I don't think that was relevant).   Kept hesitating, eventually breaking down 3 times until eventually fixed (ECU and one injector replaced on separate occasions).    All under warranty or it would have cost me a fortune.

Taking the long view, this could/can happen with any car.   I just got unlucky.    It will, however, live long in the memory as being the first car in over 40 years driving to dump me on the hard shoulder of a motorway (the M3, in the rain, not a good place to be...).

Apart from the above, it was a model of reliability :biggrin:

Thanks for that: I hope/expect my 1.2TSI should be OK..... so far so good (About 1k miles in the first month).

Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, johnh510 said:

Thanks for that: I hope/expect my 1.2TSI should be OK..... so far so good (About 1k miles in the first month).

Fingers crossed.

1.2 Tsi is a well proved unit. You'll be unlucky to have probs but as we know ANY car can and do fail at times. I always think Skoda is a relatively reliable brand. I've had 4 and my very first had brake servo problems. After that none of them let me down.

Harry

My wife's 1.2 105 Spaceback has just done four years and it's been an excellent small but not small car. I have the misfortune to "help" her collection of female friends who have no clue, or other friends to help them with basics, so I get to look at a wide range of smallish cars - and most of them are pretty awful things, even when newish.  Even though my own motor puts out 240 bhp, the Spaceback is an entertaining drive with stacks of room. I've never understood the motoring presses enthusiasm for "soft-touch surfaces" - do you drive along fondling the fascia and doorcards? So the press describes the interior as "budget". Functional would be a more accurate word. Not all of us want or need matching leopardskin accessories. Only issue we've had was an early replacement of rear discs and pads - Skoda had a brief problem with both Fabias and Rapids and did their best to avoid replacing them under warranty. Did it myself with Mintex parts for 35 quid and an hour of my time.

And it still has a proper handbrake instead of those godawful electric things. You cannot modulate the application of EPBs with anything like the sensitivity of an old tech handbrake.

So impressed she's replacing it with another one with a few extras.

Edited by inspectorman
  • Thanks 1

The comments which favour the 1.2 engine over the 1.0 engine come from existing or previous drivers of cars with the 1.2 engine - whilst they are valuable personal opinions do remember that not all drivers of cars with the 1.0 engine have driven cars with the 1.2 engine. Why do I say this - because I fall into the latter category and have a slightly different take on the situation. I used to drive a 2 litre petrol non-turbo car and last August changed to the Toledo.  

True, it is possible to catch the engine without the turbo activated, I've done this a couple of times and it's a very short pause before the engine picks up, not ideal but easy to cope with. Possibly it is necessary to change gears more often than other cars, but not that much more often, it's not a bind and truthfully having adjusted to the car I find myself changing gear instinctively without concern. Test drive and evaluate for yourself.

Just one additional comment, in the summer I met a dealer principal in a social setting at a mutual friends house, the two thoughts he left with me are to ensure the servicing is done on time and using the correct engine oil, and when arriving at destination with a hot engine allow it to run for a moment before switching off, this is being kind to the turbo.  

Edited by Smileyman
  • Thanks 1

And by "Servicing done on time", that does not mean the VAG variable or long-life servicing. 18000 miles is far too long an oil change interval on these turbo motors whatever VAG say on the matter.

I haven't read the "let your turbo car idle when hot stopping" advice since viewing the handbook of my 1983 MG turbo. That advice was followed by me but the Garrett was toast at 22k. It lasted 4k longer than the gearbox though :D

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Thanks 1

Yes I haven't heard that " let the engine run a little before switching off" for ages. Not sure it needs to be done on modern turbo cars.

I always believed the 1.2 Tsi to be a fine little engine and the number of problem free high mileage ones bears that out. Never driven the 1 ltr Turbo I have the 1.0 MPI in my little Mii and it's a belter. Very responsive around town and really nice on the Motorway while being very economical. I really don't need anything bigger these days though I suspect I will go Turbo when I change just for the little extra it gives.

I had the original Mk 2 Fabia with the HTP engine. That too was a fine little thing but on the Motorway once up to 70 mph the mpg dropped dramatically to around 35mpg.

I'm sure the 1.0 fitted to the newer cars is fine.  Being 3 Cyl will give it a different characteristic to the 1.2 tsi but lots of manufacturers are now fitting a 1.0  3 cyl. Turbo's to small cars for better economy and emissions.

The 1.0 Turbo has no torque. Its a very different drive to the normally aspirated VAG 1.0 triple - that has nothing up high but is quick at low revs and great round town. The Turbo is just the opposite.

Edited by camelspyyder

Lots of advice on this thread, most of which is general car buiying advice. My tuppence worth? We have a Rapid Spaceback and it's ideal for what we want, it compares well with the Cavaliers we have had in the past, but does not swallow as much as the Astra 4 ESTATE we had, which was exceptional. It's much more useful than the Golf 4 hatch that it replaced.

What do we use it for (not necessarily all at the same time!)

We tow a caravan with it. All our luggage and paraphernalia in the boot. Nothing needs to go in the car (back seats are not dropped down) unless I take the Brompton, which fits behind the front passenger seat sandwiched between shets of carboard to protect the seats. I could get it in the boot with all the other stuff, there's room, but would take more time to pack it all in so I don't bother.

We carry a grandchild in it. The booster seat was a pain to sort out, many wouldn't fit the shape of the seat cushions, especailly the ISOFIX type with the horizontal mountings.  I would think an ISOFIX with an angle mounting would fit OK, or one specific to the car, but it would have been more expensive for what is occasional use. I suspect all cars have this difficulty one way or another, that's why Halfords, ToysRUS, Mothercare insist that they try and fit your chosen seat before you buy. The buggy we have just fits at an angle into the boot without folding the seats down, plenty of room for bags of stuff as well. This all of course depends on the buggy - take the buggy etc. along when you look at a car and see if you can fiti it in.

Before long we'll be (occasionally) carrying 2 grandchildren, and I'm not expecting any problems in doing so.

Realistically if you want a vehicle that gives bags of room for multiple buggies and everything else as well, without having to juggle a bit, you are going to have to get a very big car (more expensive to buy, insure, run).

A full size touring bike (mudguards and all) fits happily lying down in the back, with the seats folded down and the front (bike!) wheel removed. I can also remove both wheels and strap it upside-down to the side of the car, with just one seat folded down.

Water in rear doors - we did get that, easily fixed with a pair of scissors. Not a show stopper.

As I said it compares well for space with the MK2 and MK3 cavaliers of yore (in which we carried 2 children, with paraphernalia etc. AND towed a caravan). And with its 1.6tdi engine pulls better and is more economical. The current 1.2 tsi (certainly the one fitted to my friend's Rapid) seems to have diesel-like pulling power, so no worries there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, well I thought I would just update you as you have been so helpful. They bought a Nissan Qashqai!!

I know, I know but, I was only ever in an advisory capacity and the final choice had to be theirs. Got to say though it is a lovely car, Acenta Premium 1.5 Diesel bought from the local Nissan Main dealer 1 owner 21K on a 2014 plate.

Lots of bells and whistles incl., reversing camera, sat nav, DAB, Cruise, Stop Start etc. £12k which seems to be about right for that model and year.

So thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Harry.

Just to add the car they chose has zero road tax and has a ridiculous factory claimed MPG as  78.5 extra Urban and 74.3 average with an Urban figure of 67 .3 So even though the actual will be less, they appear to have bought an economical car.

Edited by horkin
more info.,
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, horkin said:

Hi Guys, well I thought I would just update you as you have been so helpful. They bought a Nissan Qashqai!!

I know, I know but, I was only ever in an advisory capacity and the final choice had to be theirs. Got to say though it is a lovely car, Acenta Premium 1.5 Diesel bought from the local Nissan Main dealer 1 owner 21K on a 2014 plate.

Lots of bells and whistles incl., reversing camera, sat nav, DAB, Cruise, Stop Start etc. £12k which seems to be about right for that model and year.

So thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Harry.

Just to add the car they chose has zero road tax and has a ridiculous factory claimed MPG as  78.5 extra Urban and 74.3 average with an Urban figure of 67 .3 So even though the actual will be less, they appear to have bought an economical car.

We replaced our 2016 SE Sport Spaceback with a 2018 QQ nConnecta just last month...

Nice enough car - ticks the boxes... however the infotainment screen in the Skoda is way better.

I've had my Rapid 1.2 TSI 86 GreenTech for a year now.

Plenty of room for  family of four. I have young son in an ISO-fix seat and a teenage daughter. Plenty leg room in back, even for a tallish adult. The boot is approximately 200 litres bigger than that of the more expensive Ford Focus. 

The engine is lively enough, even with a full load. Most of my journeys are short which is why I choose petrol. With careful, eco driving you can easily get around 50 mpg. Road excise duty on this model is £30 for the year. Insurance is not too bad either. 

Mine is a 63 plate and only had 11,800 miles on the clock when we got it. It was around the £7k Mark too. 

You will struggle to find a better car on this kind of budget. Check out the sister car the SEAT Toledo too. We've had a good, solid and hassle free first year with ours. I do recommend.