Sticking front brakes

Hi chaps, I've had grabby front brakes for a while, I'm going to get the wheels and calipers off this weekend, do I need a wind back tool or can I push the pistons in & out a little without it? Im not disconnecting the caliper It's just to expose a small amount of the piston to clean it up with brake cleaner? It's a TDI 2.0. Cheers.

No wind back tool required for front calipers. Highly recommend you open bleed valve before you push back pistons. Then push them right back to remove dirty contaminated fluid. Thoroughly clean carriers and remove corrosion with a small file. Clean slide pins and grease. Check caliper slides back and forward freely before pumping out pistons. Bleed until clean fluid comes through. Keep an eye on  reservoir level .Good luck.

Edited by xman

You don't have to disconnect them at all. You just might have mucky fluid in the caliper cylinders, though if they are regularly fluid changed this will be minimal. A good bleed with a lot of fresh fluid is always a good idea. Use a Gunson EasyBleed for best effective bleeding. If you have sticking front calipers they might be past their best. I had to have two changed within 18 months of each other. Both had corroded pistons despite regular fluid changes. 

• Thanks 1

The grabbing is because your brakes are not fully releasing and heating up. Pistons sticking (internal dirt/corrosion) and/or caliper sticking and not sliding (corrosion on carrier/pad sliding surfaces)

No need to disconnect flexi from caliper. If you use a simple bleed kit (pipe and bottle) eg

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools/car-service-tools/brake-service-tools/brake-bleeders/?SEAVS0201&0&t5_389

Just open the bleed valve and push dirty fluid out by pushing pistons back. Close the bleed valve to stop air being drawn back in. Then carefully pump the pistons out taking great care not to pump them out too far. Open the bleed valve again and push the poston back to push the fluid out. Exercising the pistons this way helps removes corrosion and lubricates. Keep an eye on the brake reservoir and top up with clean fluid while doing this.

Invest in a 7mm brake allen key. (Mine cost about £4 for a laser tool from ebay). Then you can remove the caliper in a flash and do a proper job.

Think about fitting new pads, only about £25 from ECP.

Only use proper brake grease (Ceratec) about £5 from ECP.

Edited by xman
  • Thanks 1