Turbo fitted and squealing badly!

JWvrs25

Just fitted a recon turbo, standard KKK one, and took it for a drive only to find it squeals badly between 2 and 3.5k revs. So loud my mate in the car behind can hear it. Narrowed it down to an exhaust leak.

Had a look underneath and all manifold bolts are tight and no leaks present as far as i can tell, however there is lots of soot around the turbine housing where it joins to the CHRA. Checked tightness and all bolts are fine, obviously must not have been sealed up properly when built. Is under warranty so going to send it back unless there is an easier way of sorting it.

Seems very flat up to 3500rpm then suddenly picks up and accelerates nicely up to the limiter.

The turbo company reckoned it was a blocked cat, but the old turbo ran fine no issues at all other than it had lots of play so changed it to be safe.

In the picture you can probably see the soot over the return pipe and the compressor housing which was immaculate before i took it for a drive.

Z8%p4LzHQeaB5bPsbF5lLQ.jpg

4 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Oh dear, escalate your complaint to someone who actually knows what they're talking about or just send it back under warranty.

Yes im going to return it, they actually said it could be the dpf as well, despite none of the pd130s ever having them fitted...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Was this one of those ebay turbos? 

I considered it but decided that I might as well pay extra to get it to someone reputable like turbo technics. (When I do eventually want to refurb the turbo)

Edited by bspman

16 minutes ago, bspman said:

I considered it but decided that I might as well pay extra to get it to someone reputable like turbo technics. (When I do eventually want to refurb the turbo)

Exactly, buy cheap, buy twice.

13 hours ago, bspman said:

Yes it was, although i thought with 8000 positive feedback on their account it would be less of a risk, @sepulchrave exactly buy cheap buy twice.

Luckily its only my time i've wasted so hopefully turbo 2 will be ok once it arrives.

• Like 1