Headlight bulbs

Yes, another headlight bulb thread!  But I've tried looking for an answer for this and can't.

How bad are the stock bulbs that Skoda fit?  Not in terms of amount of light, but light colour?  I've looked at replacement bulbs but to be honest most have mixed reviews,.  What I don't want to do is buy new bulbs and fit them only to find them only a little bit whiter.

Edited by jtalep

8 minutes ago, ntl123 said:

I’ve recently done a thread on this and I’ve chosen to go with the Philips racing vision, they are by far the brightest for the price range I think is acceptable

I did look at those, but they had really mixed reviews, same with many actually.

But again, not that bothered about overall brightness - if they're on par with the stock ones that's fine by me, it's the colour I'm bothered about.

Again it’s each to their own but Philips are Philips and they are a decent brand that you know are going to work and do what it says on the box, Osram are the same just i prefer Philips. Philips do a white vision version which is a pretty good price maybe look at those? 

As I said in Ntl123's thread, you will find various opinions on headlights. I have used ring xenon150's before on my previous car and found them very good. I recomend having a look here

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h7-55w-headlight-bulbs/?bulb_search=car&end=front

having a read through and finding one that suits you. Then see if you can get them anywhere cheaper. Beware of Ebay and sometimes Amazon as there are loads of fakes around at the moment. Whiter isn't always brighter and vice versa. You pay your money and take your chance. Whiter light you need to look at the colour tempreture, if you want white then look for a temp above 4000.

Edited by stanian

Thanks for the responses :)

I've had a look at all the popular replacements and have a shortlist, but that's sort of not what I'm asking here.

I want to know what the stock bulbs are like - I know you can get brighter and whiter ones, but has anyone found the stock bulbs to look OK?

Out of curiosity how easy it it to change the headlight bulbs on the facelift? 

Edited by jtalep

On 01/02/2018 at 18:06, jtalep said:

Thanks for the responses :)

I've had a look at all the popular replacements and have a shortlist, but that's sort of not what I'm asking here.

I want to know what the stock bulbs are like - I know you can get brighter and whiter ones, but has anyone found the stock bulbs to look OK?

Out of curiosity how easy it it to change the headlight bulbs on the facelift? 

To be fair, you’re asking a very odd question. The bulbs they fit with be the same standard halogen H7 bulbs that any OEM will...most likely Philips or Osram.

The look of them will be very generic, again the same as any standard headlight - about 3400K.

If the FL is anything like the Pre-FL then changing the bulbs is simple.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoneToBeemer said:

To be fair, you’re asking a very odd question. The bulbs they fit with be the same standard halogen H7 bulbs that any OEM will...most likely Philips or Osram.

The look of them will be very generic, again the same as any standard headlight - about 3400K.

If the FL is anything like the Pre-FL then changing the bulbs is simple.

It's not as odd as you think. 

I currently have a fiesta, my partner has a corsa and both have the factory fitted H7's.  But mine are brighter and whiter than theirs when side by side, so much so that I never felt the need to change them :) so not all factory fitted bulbs are equal...

6 hours ago, Winibald said:

Changing the bulbs is very easy on the O3 I think.

I fitted Osram night breaker laser for the driving lights (H7), it is a noticable difference.

Thanks, just what I was after! 

2 hours ago, jtalep said:

It's not as odd as you think. 

I currently have a fiesta, my partner has a corsa and both have the factory fitted H7's.  But mine are brighter and whiter than theirs when side by side, so much so that I never felt the need to change them :) so not all factory fitted bulbs are equal...

Yes but, not all O3s will leave the factory with the same headlight bulbs fitted, it’ll just be what they have at the time - they’ll have supply agreements with a few bulb manufacturers.

What’s most likely causing the difference in light output you’re describing is the headlight unit, not the bulb.

Anyway, most factory fitted headlights will be poor compared to what’s available, so my advice is to change them if you’re doing a lot of night driving.

As I’ve mentioned in a few other posts - the best H7 bulbs you can get are PIAA Xtreme White Plus, but you’ll pay about £65 for the privilege. Well worth it though, as the light output is second to none for a halogen bulb, and more importantly they will last.

Edited by GoneToBeemer

6 hours ago, GoneToBeemer said:

As I’ve mentioned in a few other posts - the best H7 bulbs you can get are PIAA Xtreme White Plus, but you’ll pay about £65 for the privilege. Well worth it though, as the light output is second to none for a halogen bulb, and more importantly they will last.

Second that - I've had PIAA Xtreme White Plus on several previous cars and they are so much brighter than any other bulbs I've tried - IMHO worth the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Was wondering, Has anyone changed their mainbeam bulbs too? From what im reading. The main beam is the same as the DRL bulb which is the H15 fitment, correct me if im wrong please, still new.

Just trying to match up the beams to white like my dipped.

Cheers.

The pre fl O3 bulbs were as follows

H7 dipped beam

H8 fog lights

H15 main beam & DLR

The H15's need a VCDS tweak for the DLR's or they'll be slightly dimmer in colour.

My fl O3 has the LED lights therefore, I can't comfirm which bulbs are on the non LED lights.