Talk to me about the Scout.

I will be opting out of my company car in the next few months and I’m currently deciding between a Superb or a Scout.

The superb makes perfect sense; I would go for a one year old with circa 15k on the clock (probably an ex-rental as most of this age are) SEL estate and keep it for four years. I drive circa 30K miles a year so at the end of five years it would have circa 135K on the clock.

Alternatively I could buy a new Scout and keep that for five years and 150k. 

Scouts seem to hold their value very well so a year old version doesn’t make sense, likewise a new Superb SEL doesn’t add up on the car allowance. 

I have not driven an Octavia but from reading comments and reviews, the regular Octavia ride is quite firm whereas the scout is more forgiving. When you are doing doing 30K miles a year, comfort is quite important.

I don’t need the space of a superb estate, likewise I do not need the four-wheel-drive of the scout. I drive down to the Alps every winter and I often drive through muddy fields due to my daughter being a horse rider however I have never got stuck.

I just like the look of the scout.

I would therefore like to hear views of owners of the scout and how they feel it compares to the superb and which vehicle they would choose to do 30K miles per year.

Thanks in advance.

PS - both vehicles would be 2.0 TDI DSG’s but the superb would be 150hp vs  184 of the Scout. 

Edited by a900ss

PS - if you’ve got a DSG Scout, can you let me know what MPG it gets on a run? I never do city or short journeys so I’m more concerned about MPG on a good run out. 

Thanks. 

PS - I’m assuming I’ll get 5/7MPG less than a 2WD DSG Superb. 

There is a huge variance in opinions of what constitutes a 'good ride' in this forum, and for near identical vehicles.

For the distance and time you spend in a vehicle you would have to try them out for yourself, if only for relative seat comfort.

I'd suggest the usual dealer around block type try out is insufficient and you should insist on some open highway.

Logically, why would you carry the weight and complexity of a 4WD system that is rarely going to be used in 120k miles, burning more fuel (my guess is there is closer to 10 mpg difference overall between the two).

In your situation I'd go the Superb 2WD route.

I reckon you see fewer complaints about ride and noise in the Superb sections compared to the Octavia even allowing for the relatively few numbers of Superb owners.

If size does really matter then try out the vRS diesel Octavia with irs and why not the 150hp version with the oft maligned torsion bar rear suspension which is on my Octavia and I find perfectly comfortable even on very long journeys.

• Like 1

I can't comment on the Superb, but I've had 4 Octavias including a MK1 and a MK2 VRS and I now have a 184 DSG Scout. The ride is certainly much more forgiving than the VRS and the seat comfort is good. The Alcantara seat material is also a lot more robust than the leather / mesh covering that was used in my last VRS.

The Scout is much better than the VRS in slippery conditions and has better ground clearance so more usable on rough ground.

+1 for the comments from Gerrycan.
I would also choose Superb as its a class above the octavia so will naturally be more comfortable & refined.

I have the vRS Octavia & spend 99% of my time on the motorway. I have no complaints about the ride but can understand if you were driving on city roads with potholes & many repairs it would perhaps be a bit less comfortable.

Having driven long distances on the motorway also in a 1.6TDi SE, I cant say I noticed a real difference in the two except the +20% improvement in fuel economy.

I have a 15 plate scout with the DSG box. I have owned it since August and get 40 to 45 mpg out of it on a mixture of routes and conditions and have done 7000 miles in that time. Drive it hard and I can get low to mid teen mpg over a 30 mile trip. Drive it very gently and I can get 55 mpg. The ride is fairly comfortable and handling is not bad but its no sports car. Performance is average but the engine feels a bit overworked and runs out of shove quickly when driven hard. The seats are comfy and the interior trim is generally ok but some of the materials being a bit cheap and flimsy. I use mine for fishing and shooting and it works ok off road but I wouldn't like to try it on much more than muddy fields and farm tracks. Boot space is ok but getting big loads in to and out of it can be difficult due to the shape and the step up from the floor to boot opening. It suits my needs and budget well and I get on with it much better than the Volvo XC70 it replaced.

Thanks for the comments all.

I know that a Superb makes more 'sense' but I just like the idea/look of the Scout.  Provided it's not sub 45 MPG, financially it'll be fine.  

I don't 'need' 4WD but likewise I don't 'need' the extra space a Superb offers.

I think the lower refinement from a Scout vs a Superb is fair comment especially due to my mileage and that I'll be coming from a Mercedes and a 5 Series before that.

I think I need to test drive one.

Does anybody know how long the lead times are for a Scout?  Limited options, just Adaptive CC and heated rear seats.

Thanks

Hi a900ss :)

This is almost the same situation as I was in.  I had an A4 avant Quattro that I ditched in favour of a company car 4 years ago ..... worst decision ever!  Three years later I had the opportunity of coming out of the company car and I stepped into a Petrol Octavia 2 Scout (it only lasted a month as it was returned to the trader for a full refund).

It was replaced with a Diesel Octavia 2 Scout which I ran for just over a year and did 40k.  I chose the Oct 2 Scout as i thought it was well specd (half leather, Xenons, heated seats), comfy, massive boot and spacious.  More over its VAG quality at a cheaper price.  I thoroughly enjoyed the car - Yes it's a little floaty but that comes from the raised suspension and profile of tyre and choice (I was running Continental Winter Contacts).

Late last year someone hit the front of the car - coming down a road in the snow they locked up and slid onto my side of the road and hit me.  It was repaired (I'm told 3k all in).  Whilst in repair I did some thinking - It needed a cam belt and pump, haldex change, there was a suspension knock and a few bits to tidy her up.  I collected the car from repair on the Thursday night and did a deal on another Friday lunch time.

I'm now in an 65 plate Octavia 3 Scout (diesel / manual).  I've had it about 6 weeks now and have done about 2000 miles and love it.  I'm getting 50mpg Generally with a mixture of country roads and motorways.  Realistically the motorways are about 48mpg and the country roads 55 mph.  My Diesel scout was more economical, not much, say 3 mpg on the motorway.  The difference in ride and toys etc is night and day!

i didn't need a 4wd, the only reason I got the Quattro originally was due to spec and condition.  However having then driven with 4wd the ride is more shore footed and you feel more in control be it exiting corners enthusiastically or more importantly driving motorways in bad weather/heavy rain.  The same can be said about the Scout, the power can be shifted around and it's un-noticeable.  Coming off a roundabout in the damp or wet there is no loss of traction where as in a front wheel drive car in similar condition there is. With power being predominantly biased to the front there's less drag from the rear and so reasonable economy is the result.

my only complaint so far is slight road noise from the rear - there is little or should I say no sound proofing in the boot, my plan is to get some sound deadening and do the boot to erradicate it.

sorry for the story but hopefully some use.

4 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

sorry for the story but hopefully some use.

Good info, so don't apologise.

I know the OP has his heart set on a Scout (and heart often rules head in these decisions) but although the consumption for the diesel is better than I expected from some other reports I have read, I'd be worried about (particularly the Haldex) reliability aspects you mention after only 40k miles. Just about a quarter of what the OP intends to do over 5 years ownership.

The only manufacturer offering a reliable AWD system at Skoda price levels in Australia is Subaru. The Outback is good value here with lots of standard safety features. Downsides are relatively expensive and frequent servicing required (here) and the CVT auto gearbox (although reputedly one of the better ones).

The Scout was dropped from the Australian market because of lack of sales. Apparently we only buy vehicles that look like SUVs, even if most SUV sold are only 2WD.

What was wrong with the petrol Scout? 

Edited by Gerrycan

Halex unit failures on the mk5 gen are the pumps going..bad batch I recon...easy to  replace about £200-£350...

Doesn't matter AWD or 2WD still need winter or winter cert all seasons for best traction in the slidy conditions/black ice.....just ask my mate who wrote off his AWD MINI Cooper Paceman at 20mph because it carried straight on at "T" junction as he hit black ice...I told him to get winter tyres....

Scout has the +15mm raised ride height, & I think has the skid tray under engine, & stone protectors for the rear lower wishbones....

If you like the Octavia Scout but like the extra of the Superb don't Skoda still make a Superb Scout?...

8 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Good info, so don't apologise.

I know the OP has his heart set on a Scout (and heart often rules head in these decisions) but although the consumption for the diesel is better than I expected from some other reports I have read, I'd be worried about (particularly the Haldex) reliability aspects you mention after only 40k miles. Just about a quarter of what the OP intends to do over 5 years ownership.

What was wrong with the petrol Scout? 

Thanks Gerrycan :)

I bought the petrol Oct 2 Scout and it was perfect, however after a weeks use it needed an oil top up.  With about half a litre added around 4 days later it need toPping up again.  Reality was it was using a half a litre every 400 ish miles.  The tolerances in the manual are half a litre for 620 miles.  No signs of a leak, no oily exhaust pipes, nothing in the water.  A chat with the dealer and he accepted it back and very kindly gave me 2 weeks to do so allowing me to source another car.

The diesel Oct 2 Scout I replaced it with wasnt as in good condition as the petrol but given time I could get it to a level I was happy with.

Apologies I wasn't clear on the haldex on the Diesel Oct 2, there wasn't a fault it just needed an oil change.  When I added the cam belt, pump, haldex oil change, and other cosmetic bits (scruffy rear bumper, and scratch on passenger door) together the cost of doing wouldn't add value and truth be known the crash was the final straw.  I also would have had to have sold by August this year due to our company's car allowance rules (no more than 8 years old).

• Thanks 1

I'm replacing my 2 year old leased 150 Manual Scout with another 150 manual (different colour!). Good equipment levels, reasonable economy (Trip says average 48mpg, reality is between 43-45) excellent ride and handling, very surefooted and totally quick enough. I did fancy the 184 but I'm not a fan of automatic transmission so the 150 it was. The superb is a lovely car too, but I would take the Scout every time.

Thanks again. 

I get occasional lower back pains so whatever car I choose, it will be auto and it will have heated seats.  It’s also why I won’t consider a VRs and the firm suspension. 

As as I drive so many miles, I’d also add active cruise (which I think also adds Front Assist in the Scout) and I’m also thinking of adding the intelligent light assist. My kids have also said I need to add heated rear seats and rear USB’s!!!

Oh, and I’d choose white. 

So I think I’m fully decided on specification, i just need to decide Scout or Superb.... 

i need a June delivery, I’m working on a 3 month lead time so I guess I’ve got a month to decide. 

(FYI - my car allowance scheme insists on cars max 5 years old)

Edited by a900ss

Just now, fabdavrav said:

Just looked on Skodas UK website & they don't do the Scout versions of the Superb estate

.....when did that happen??

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a UK Superb Scout. 

46 minutes ago, a900ss said:

I get occasional lower back pains so whatever car I choose, it will be auto and it will have heated seats.  It’s also why I won’t consider a VRs and the firm suspension. 

Id go for Electric seats then as there's more adjustment in lumbar and height.  You can adjust the height of the seat normally but also the angle of the front part of the seat base, effectively the height of the front and back part of the seat base separately.  With the lumbar support you can adjust weather its poking you in the back or not :D, and also the lumbar as adjustment up and down.....4 ways effectively.

Mine has memory function on drivers side with 3 settings, im number one and the missus is number 2, but checking the brochure I can't see it as an option unless it's standard with the electric seats.  In a nutshell you don't wAnt to spend hrs finding the perfect position for someone to change it!

39 minutes ago, a900ss said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a UK Superb Scout. 

They did a rebrand for UK called the "outdoor"

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=606556538

& the Tour de France...

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=606550788

basically the scout is just 4x4 with extra black lower trim, skid tray & raised suspension....

Just looked again at new Superbs & you can specify the "rough road" package...+15mm raised suspension, skid tray & lower rear wishbone stone guards....basically "Scout" except for the black lower trim parts...

Edited by fabdavrav

My 150PS manual 2016, 16,000 mile leased Scout goes back in 2 months, no doubt it'll end up on a Skoda forecourt shortly after that!

IMG_8996.JPG.6c1b8bbdeaf3c6c61394117f4a8cdf44.thumb.JPG.8ff61ade2f616494d502504c4a84bb3d.JPG

Unfortunately the lack of a petrol version means we'll be going for something else, not sure yet, maybe a Kodiaq.

I do quite like the look of the facelift Scout though, although I'm not sure removing the side rubbing strips was a sensible move...

594e57de68809_PointBlur_Jun242017_121004.jpg.cb40a5e3e58245813add14c21b6e84bd.thumb.jpg.7ae91cb73de3092e4354316e401619d9.jpg

Got a dsg scout in September, 

moving on from a mondeo estate, I wanted a car with a slightly higher seat for a relative to get in and out of, but didn't want a MPv style car. Nearly brought a Ford SMAX then looked at skodas and liked the style of the scout.

i also carry 3 bikes on the towbar, the extra height stops the bar grounding out when going over humps,ramps,  the mondeo  hit everything!

living in London and using the m25/M4 every weekend I like having the dsg with Acc, seems to work well.

averaging 40 around town 45 on motorways at 70+ Could get a bit more but always in a rush...

find the seats very firm compared to the mondeo, but getting used to them.

My car came with the pano roof, which I bet your kids would like.

also xenons lights look good and it also has the canton, but kids might not like the booming from the  boot.

talking of boom, yes there is a fair bit of road noise but also hoping to soundproof the wheel well.

For me parking it is much easier,compared to the old giant mondeo estate. Shorter and narrower.

No real need for the 4x4 but I often go to the lakes and Scotland, as in picture below, it sometimes snows!

also 4x4 in the wet, I haven't been beaten off the lights yet, a quick flick into sport....

got mine in denim blue, looks exactly the same as the show car, just put winter wheels on for now though.

Def drive both and take your time choosing, but I would go  Surburb for comfort with that mileage,, but iv

not driven one!

IMG_2017.PNG

IMG_2022.PNG

Edited by andyasjl
  • Like 1