Is my 4x4 working

isg

Hello All,

not quite sure where to post his topic or even  the title.

I have 64 plate superb estate 4x4  170 dsg

had is  mapped by superships.

great power improvement.

however i do get lots of front   wheel tramp, yes i should take more care.

I would have expected the 4x4 to help at least prevent some of this, but it does not appear to.

so:

Q.  any idea how i can test to see if the 4x4 is actual doing its thing

Regards.

16 minutes ago, isg said:

Q.  any idea how i can test to see if the 4x4 is actual doing its thing

If you have car wheel dollies or something similar to place your front wheels from the ground (and still manage to move the car), the rear wheels should engage as soon as the electronics realize that there is not enough traction ... a more rough method is to find a grassy/gravel place, floor it and have someone watch the car from outside ... the rear wheels should also move faster and lose traction, not just be dead weight like on FWD cars in that situation ...

My experience with Haldex 5 (and I think you have Haldex 4) is that when it failed, there is not dashboard indication of the problem. However a quick look with VCDS reveals a fault code in the Haldex unit.

If you don’t have access to VCDS / test gear then you can put the car in eg a muddy field and have someone observe from outside as you move off briskly. If only the front wheels are spinning, your Haldex isn’t working properly.

Sounds like your haldex pump is failing look at this post.

I had same issue when mine failed front wheel spin but with haldex replace can not even begin to try to spin wheels at full pelt....:D

• Like 4

I recently had the same. If your front wheels are spinning, you for sure don't have 4x4.

Likely either the haldex pump is bad or the mesh filter is gummed up. When they change the fluid, they do not clean that filter.

If you are mechanically inclined, I would drain the fluid, pull the pump and give the screen a good clean. Then refill and give it another go on a loose gravel to check it out.

If you have a good set of ramps, it's not that hard. My pump was bad and it cost me about 350€ to get it swapped out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add, today I've managed to test my 4x4 drive, and I can happily say that it works ... flat surface, 10 cm of fresh snow ... you don't event need to floor it, you can easily see that the rear wheels are gripping rather than dragging behind (as a bystander, not a good idea to try this on your own and watching outside of the door window :D) ... and when you really floor it, the car looses its line for a second, but when it grips, it launches you straight forward like there's no tomorrow ... well, at least mine does ... :D

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Don't want to start a new topic titled "Anyone did a Haldex oil and filter change", because the result might be obvious ... :D ... I intend to do that on my car, but there is something else that I'm curious about ... my rear right wheel's driveshaft seems to be leaking something from the rear differential, which is a PITA job it seems ... now, if I remove the driveshaft from the differential, will the haldex oil flow out, or is that a separate thing within the differential and the haldex oil will remain inside? Reason being, I wouldn't want do to the oil change twice (that's why I did the DSG oil pans alongside the regular oil change for the )

1 hour ago, vborovic said:

Don't want to start a new topic titled "Anyone did a Haldex oil and filter change", because the result might be obvious ... :D ... I intend to do that on my car, but there is something else that I'm curious about ... my rear right wheel's driveshaft seems to be leaking something from the rear differential, which is a PITA job it seems ... now, if I remove the driveshaft from the differential, will the haldex oil flow out, or is that a separate thing within the differential and the haldex oil will remain inside? Reason being, I wouldn't want do to the oil change twice (that's why I did the DSG oil pans alongside the regular oil change for the )

The diff oil is seperate to the Haldex oil.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 22:11, SuperbTWM said:

The diff oil is seperate to the Haldex oil.

And If I want to remove the rear right driveshaft (which is slightly leaking), I can expect a flood of differential oil hitting me, right (unless I fully drain it first)

2 hours ago, vborovic said:

And If I want to remove the rear right driveshaft (which is slightly leaking), I can expect a flood of differential oil hitting me, right (unless I fully drain it first)

You will have to unbolt the driveshaft from the flange first, you may get away without removing it from the hub but you may have to undo the lower arm to be able to swing it out a bit.  

Then it will be the flanged stub shaft you will be removing from the diff. I would drain the diff first. 

Make sure you can undo the full plug first before draining. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 20:49, vborovic said:

Anyone did a Haldex oil and filter change

Just to check, is 75 GBP (incl. shipping) a reasonable price for the genuine filter (including the metal cap), 2x cap bolts and 1 liter of genuine Haldex oil?

8 hours ago, vborovic said:

Just to check, is 75 GBP (incl. shipping) a reasonable price for the genuine filter (including the metal cap), 2x cap bolts and 1 liter of genuine Haldex oil?

It's cheaper/similar price to take it to Skoda and for them to do it. 

I had mine done a few months ago for about £70

• 2 weeks later...

I've received a quotation from my local Skoda Service (not an independent) regarding the Haldex ... they change the fluid, the bolts, but no trace of the filter being dealt with ... the price (parts + labor) is 55 GBP ... @PeteJ80 Do you know whether or not your Haldex filter was replaced or not for the price?

I'm honestly not sure. The reason I didn't do it myself was due to confusion about there being a filter needing replaced or a mesh that needs cleaned. I was more comfortable letting the 'experts' do it. 

2 hours ago, PeteJ80 said:

I was more comfortable letting the 'experts' do it.

This is the dilemma I'm having, you get it done, but it doesn't get done like it is supposed to be done (the Haldex manufacturer of course acknowledges the filter, and it being replaced on regular intervals)