Stick, or twist?

Gaz

What would you do?

I've a 2015 Octavia vRS 220 DSG, which I've owned from new.  I've had it two years.

I (perhaps mistakenly) drove a Golf GTI Clubsport. And fell in love with it.

I can technically afford to  swap.

A Revo, or Shark, remap will make my Octavia's performance similar to that of a Clubsport, for a few hundred quid.

Changing to a Clubsport will cost me in the region of £10k.

The £10k could technically be put to better use in Additional Voluntary Contributions towards my potentially retiring in 13 months time.

I'lll be  blowed if  know what to do.  Have a blast, or retire from a stressful job, and pop my clogs, with my wife and family secure, never having taken the one opportunity to do at least one frivolous thing  in my life.

What would you do?

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

Congratulations on reaching your second childhood  :)   just think, you may never recover.....(I’m still trying to decide about my condition).

Are you intending to S.K.I. seeing your ‘family’ are secure?.

Honestly.. id keep my 10k. 

Objectively, would you rather have a slightly more fun commute to being stressed out, or not have to commute at all. I know what id be doing..

• Like 1

have to go with the flow,   save the money get more value out of the Skoda and  get retired -while you can,   you won't miss it after the first two weeks when you realise the "holidays" are over BUT you don't have to go back yippeee:cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VRS Mike said:

Until recently I would have said keep the cash, but having seen a former colleague pop his clogs shortly after retiring I would say get the car and enjoy it. 

I see that logic too, but.. given the high stress job, would you rather enjoy a "better" car until one day sitting traffic in it you realise if youd not got it, you wouldnt be stuck in That traffic jam... personally i know that day would arrive (or not if i got hit by a bus the day before)  and it would make me hate and resent the car knowing i forfeited a better life balance to be able drive it..

18 hours ago, V6TDI said:

What would you do?

I've a 2015 Octavia vRS 220 DSG, which I've owned from new.  I've had it two years.

I (perhaps mistakenly) drove a Golf GTI Clubsport. And fell in love with it.

I can technically afford to  swap.

A Revo, or Shark, remap will make my Octavia's performance similar to that of a Clubsport, for a few hundred quid.

Changing to a Clubsport will cost me in the region of £10k.

The £10k could technically be put to better use in Additional Voluntary Contributions towards my potentially retiring in 13 months time.

I'lll be  blowed if  know what to do.  Have a blast, or retire from a stressful job, and pop my clogs, with my wife and family secure, never having taken the one opportunity to do at least one frivolous thing  in my life.

What would you do?

Gaz

Go try a Golf R, before you opt for the GTI Clubsport :)

It may surprise you and give you even more of a dilemma ;)

15 hours ago, Defenderben said:

Go try a Golf R, before you opt for the GTI Clubsport :)

It may surprise you and give you even more of a dilemma ;)

Thanks Ben. I’ve driven quite a few R’s - they were on my list when I bought the vRS. The Clubsport has something about it. Hard to put a finger on it, but for me it’s the better car. 

Gaz

Retire as soon as you can.

As one of my chums likes to say, how many people do you hear about who, on their deathbed, say "I wish I had done more work"?

Your motoring patterns will change so you will - probably - spend a lot less time in your car which might blunt the yearning for the GTI. If not, try the remap. Beyond that, look at ways to liberate the extra £s for the new car.

17 hours ago, eccleshill said:

Stick.

After less time than you think you will be exactly the same about your new car.  You will drive a Whatsits Thingummyjig GTi XRS ABC 123 and you will start over again.  Just one more car "upgrade" and then I'll retire... and then another... just one more...

I retired 18 months ago - best thing I ever did.  I've seen too many friends and family work themselves into an early grave.  They say "life begins at 40" - no way!  Life begins when you retire.  

And finally....    After retirement I realised very quickly that money and possessions are a very poor substitute for time! 

Sound advice and observation, thanks eccleshill :thumbup:

And thanks everyone else too :biggrin:

I'm a sucker for nice, new, shiny things, but stick it is then.  Unless I win the lottery.

Gaz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we can only give a personal opinion.

Mine would be that the Golf isn't different enough to warrant the change.

If you were hopping ship to a different class of car I might have erred towards telling you to take the leap.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2018 at 16:58, Aspman said:

'...the Golf isn't different enough...'

Now that's the bit I struggle with.  You're of course right in terms of hopping to a different class.  But the Clubsport feels very different (to me) to any other Golf I've driven.  Can't really compare it to the Mk1, 2 or 3 I've owned.  But my next door neighbour owns an Edition 30 DSG with north of 300bhp. It's better than that.  Another friend has a GTD which she loves.  It's better than that.  One of our friends offspring (same age as my son) has an 'R' and I've driven probably eight or nine 'R's in total.  It's better (again, in my opinion) than all of them.  My neighbour the other side has recently let go a 535d (I might be exaggerating - it might've been a 530d).  That was very impressive, but I'd still rather have a Clubsport.

I'm going to let my head rule my heart though (And maybe buy a few more lottery tickets than normal).

If you haven't driven one, I'd thoroughly recommend finding one and having a test drive, if even just for the hell of it.

This one's only about 30 miles away from me.  I took it out before Christmas, made a generous offer (more than it's now advertised at) and offered to shake on it then and there.  He didn't, so I kept to my plan and walked away:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707227636483?radius=1500&model=GOLF&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&keywords=Clubsport&make=VOLKSWAGEN&fuel-type=Petrol&transmission=Automatic&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=distance&postcode=bn213uu&page=1

It's still lovely though :blush

Bob likes them:

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

Thing is then, if it really floats your boat that much, if you'll get the value from it that'll mean you're always glad you bought it... then you should buy it.

My 335d is an awesome bit of kit on paper, but if I'm honest I don't think I get enough value from it and so I have itchy car feet again.

Well done with your choice to stick. It's a tricky one for sure.

Until recently I was running a Citigo, simply wanted cheap motoring for a while. I'm fortunate to be able to save a fair bit each month, and came to the realisation that I need to splurge a little. Owning the M135i costs me roughly £200 a month more than the Citigo, but I love driving again, I get a real satisfaction from the car.

A friend recently lost his battle with cancer at the age of 38, this backs up my belief to live in the moment a bit more, not excessively but certainly more than I was.

On another forum I look on a guy has just ordered a new RS6, £105k and £1500 a month repayments, now that is excessive!!!!

All the best

I know plenty of oil guys that would **** that sort of money away on motors. Generally they'll be ones regretting it now.

• Like 1

A bit late, but my 2p with my octavia experience. I felt like I wanted a different car, but after spending a bit on it - it's nippier and handles good enough that I'm happy with it. 

The remap is cheaper and even with the added cost of some handling upgrades will save you a boat load of money and make you happier (and also potentially result in lower insurance if yours is as stratospheric as mine is)

• Like 1

The ironic thing is that now I'm happy with it, I might have to replace the thing as I live in London and there are new charges coming into play in a much larger area if I want to keep my dirty diesel.