Emission Control System warning light

DangerAndy

Hi folks,

I’ve been lurking in the forum for a week as I’ve just got my hands on a 66 plate Citigo Black Edition. It’s been really useful and I’m pretty happy so far with my new car. But...

During a short trip yesterday my ECS light came on (orange) on the dash. Bit of a disappointment as it’s only done about 8000 miles but hey ho that’s motoring. Anyone got experience with this particular fault? I appreciate it could mean a number of things. Local Skoda garage said while it’s orange the car is safe to drive so I’ll be having it looked at next week. Would it be fair to presume that this issue could be detrimental to my fuel consumption?

Cheers!

69B6668F-5439-425E-B08F-CCD1E07F5489.jpeg

Edited by DangerAndy

Oops - I’m going by the terminology in the MySKODA app - which calls it the Emmisson Control System. I would have described it as Engine Management myself too. I don’t have a photo right now but it’s defo that light in orange.

7542A33D-46DA-4301-8802-B95A56E11FD5.png

• Like 1

If the EML is on then ya best bet is to get it scanned for fault codes and see what comes up.

Also I wouldn’t drive the Citigo until you take it to a garage as the fault is at the moment unknown. It could just make things a lot worse. 

Edited by Jonny118118
Added info

3 hours ago, DangerAndy said:

Well. Local Skoda garage say they can’t see it for a month (!) so back to Motorpoint I go. Not the best of starts!

See if anyone in the South Wales area on here can scan it for you, then you’ll know what your dealing with. 

3 hours ago, VRS Mike said:

do you not have skoda assist with the car being so new?

1 hour ago, Jonny118118 said:

Good point! Should have 3 yrs roadside breakdown. That’ll get it into a garage sooner :D

The fella on the phone said if the car actually broke down then I could use it - I wasn’t sure if I could call them out for this type of issue?

5 minutes ago, DangerAndy said:

The fella on the phone said if the car actually broke down then I could use it - I wasn’t sure if I could call them out for this type of issue?

I’d just go for it, it’s a fault, could cause further problems in the long run... what’s worst that could happen? 

9 minutes ago, Jonny118118 said:

I’d just go for it, it’s a fault, could cause further problems in the long run... what’s worst that could happen? 

You’re completely right - I hadn’t really thought about it properly as I’ve not had a car with that option available before. I’ll see how I get on! Thanks!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DangerAndy said:

You’re completely right - I hadn’t really thought about it properly as I’ve not had a car with that option available before. I’ll see how I get on! Thanks!

Let us know how it goes :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry folks - forgot to update! Well, the light went out and so I left things as they are.

However, it came back on Friday! It happened as I was driving up a steep ramp in to a multi-storey car park for what it’s worth. I’ll have to book an appointment to get it checked.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

I drove for years with the emissions light on - garage could find no fault and I spent a fortune having all sorts of tests done. Sorted the problem myself  - I now only use Shell V Expensive Power Diesel  - took three tanks and then the light went out and stayed out until husband topped it up with a mix of supermarket and V Power diesel. Light instantly came on - and went off when I topped it up again with V Power. 100% worth the extra pence / litre in my opinion - car is livelier with it and gets about 3 MPG more. As your light went on when driving up a ramp, it makes me think your car's problem is also fuel related

Edited by BreezeUp
spelling !
  • Like 3