Re-use VW Adblue 1.89l/.5gall bottle

youngbaz

Apologies if this specific tip has been covered before - in which case admin - please feel free to delete.

My new Yeti came up for its first Adblue refill.  I'd read on the forums that it was a good plan to buy both the half gallon bottle from VW because of its dedicated non-drip/non overfill top AND the 10 litre container for economy.  Just refill the first from the second they said and Bob's your proverbial.

First stage completed with no trouble, bit when I came to take off the top from the small container to refill it .... Doohh!  It was worse than Paddy McGinty's goat ... I was pushing it, pulling it, shoving it etc etc.  Couldn't shift it with the top in  a vice, nor with mole wrench - the whole thing kept slipping and I was scared of breaking it.

Eventually I decided to try hacking out a couple of the serrated sections at the very bottom of the cap in the hope that it might loosen it enough for removal.  I used a Stanley knife, cut out two sections - on opposite sides - and it did the trick.  Still stiff to turn though.  One further tip ...Don't retighten the top on the small container too tightly after you've refilled it otherwise it's tough to remove again. 

A  couple of pics below to show what I did - all very high tech!

Incidentally, I couldn't believe the aggro involved in buying the stuff from the VW dealer I was conveniently driving past - Inchcape in Chelmsford.  A beautiful new showroom, high standard of finish, beautifully lit, with loads of VWs on display.  One solitary receptionist at a counter immediately by the door.  I asked for parts department.  'What do you want?' said she. 'Adblue' says I. She very efficiently asked if I wanted someone to fill it for me and what size I wanted.  'I just need you to direct me to the parts counter' I said.  She said they didn't have one and someone would bring me my parts.  The dealership was pretty empty - one sales customer that I could see.  I asked where the loos were and was gratified not to be told that they would be brought to me!  Anyway - went to the loo - very smart indeed and all very impressive and returned to the showroom.  Still no sign of my Adblue so I pottered around the new cars for a bit.  The new t-Roc was on display which I thought might perhaps be a replacement for the Yeti in x years time now that they've been discontinued.  I was particularly interested in the size of the boot, given that one of the biggest downsides of moving from Octavia to yeti was loadspace dimensions ... but the tailgate was locked.  I tried inside, but no joy.  No sign of  a salesman on the floor, so I gave in and went back to reception.  (Can anyone please explain the point of locking a vehicle in a new car showroom so a potential customer cannot 'explore'?)  Meanwhile back at reception, still no sign of my Adblue - so I asked.  'He'll be with you shortly'.  I paced up and down a bit, then went to reception and gave the lady (not her fault I know) my considered evaluation of their system.  She said no VW dealerships had parts counters anymore.  I said enough was enough and was halfway to the exit door when I saw a gent approaching with two plastic bottles.  Next thing - as you might have guessed - he then had to go back to his cave to fetch a card reader!  'Discuss rationale of VW dealership strategy' - time allowed two hours!

Anyway pics attached in case they help anyone.  I've marked in blue on the pic of the whole bottle one of the segments I hacked off.

VW Adblue top up bottle - modified.pdf

VW Adblue top up bottle cap modified.pdf

• Like 2

Just realised that the 0.5 gall marked on the container is half a US gallon if it's 1.89l - not half a UK gallon as had assumed. 

Presumably that must mean that VAG are flying loaded containers of what is basically Uric acid and water all the way across the Atlantic. Someone's taking the p*ss surely! Or should I say sending it? I'm sure I could quote them for flying the empty bottles over and filling them on the far side with 'naturally occurring materials' - some from my own personal portable uric acid production plant - thereby saving them a fortune, making myself a fortune at the same time  - oh - and saving the planet in the process. 

Doohh. 

Come on Kelper!

The fact that I made a joke about the source of the uric acid in Adblue doesn't mean that I seriously think it's processed from human sources. 

I was simply taking the p**s. Where's your sense of humour?

1 minute ago, youngbaz said:

Doohh. 

Come on Kelper!

The fact that I made a joke about the source of the uric acid in Adblue doesn't mean that I seriously think it's processed from human sources. 

I was simply taking the p**s. Where's your sense of humour?

I wasn't having a go at you!  When I bought my AdBlue the garage attendant told me it was pigs' urine.  A lot of people believe this rubbish.  And it's not uric acid, it's urea.

Fair enough - apologies then. 

Actually I do have to admit that I wasn't up to speed on the difference between uric acid and urea - I thought they were different instances of what was essentially the same chemical. 

I was interested to

learn therefore how uric acid was sourced for commercial purposes and it transpires it does come from 'natural' sources:

"Commercially, uric acid has been prepared from guano by extracting it with alkali and then precipitating with acid.  Guano is essentially the droppings of bats or seabirds, and has been found in large quantities on some islands. "

So it's from bat and gull pee then. .... Even though this doesn't apply to Adblue of course. 

My local VW dealer is a bit like that, ie no proper standalone parts department with access for Jo Public, you get accosted entering the showroom and shown to a table to sit at and offered tea/coffee, and someone appears and takes your parts requests. The Northern site for this VW dealer is still a bit "old school" as they took over another VW dealer and decamped them to a new bespoke site at the other side of town, the parts department seem to have been located in a space next to the workshop area, so you enter via an unmarked door, hoping you have remembered which unmarked door leads you into the parts department, maybe someone will eventually allow they to fix a notice to that door saying that it is the Parts Department - though possibly VW don't want DIYers messing around with their cars.