Low Coolant

"Check Coolant Level" popped up on the maxidot along with the red coolant lamp.

I checked and the coolant is indeed low, it's just below the level of the two prong sensor. I can obviously add a little distilled water and tomorrow I can go buy some more coolant, but the real question in my head is what has caused the coolant level to drop?

We did an hour long journey today, about 40 minutes on the motorway and that was no problem until I jumped back in the car a moment ago.

Once you get the coolant topped up, keep an eye on it for a few days. But I wouldn't worry too much: a couple of months ago, my coolant warning came on and it was very low when I checked. Once I topped it up, it hasn't moved since, so it must just have been neglect over time on my part. I make sure to check it every time I have the bonnet open now, but it's definitely not leaking. Hopefully you'll find the same.

When you buy the coolant, make sure to check whether it's ready to use or neat solution. Going by the advice in the manual, I thought I was getting neat solution that had to be diluted. It was only when I checked the part number of what the garage sold me online that I discovered it was pre-mixed and ready to use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEL80Y said:

Water pump as very common on these as well but as said above "top up and check" until it gets worse...

Will do as suggested and see but if it does turn out to be the water pump, has anyone had any luck getting the dealer to cover the cost on the basis it's premature failure? Car is only 4 years old and 45k miles.

We definitely have a leak, there is a small but not insignificant puddle of coolant where it was parked. 

We have some ramps (they're big 4x4 ones, so not sure they'll be suitable or not, 18" wheels so should be ok in that regard just a bit steeper and don't want to bash anything.) Hopefully will be ok. Should be able to take a look. Think it has loads of covers underneath. Any tips on removing these?

Water pump a likely source. Anywhere else that's a common problem?

Thanks

There's a lot of coolant sprayed all over the place, hard to see where the leak is coming from for sure, but I think it is the water pump.

I know this is a known fault on some of these engines but is it also a known fault on mine? manufactured 2013, 2.0 diesel CFGB engine.

The water pump surely shouldn't be failing after 4 years and <45k miles.

On 2/5/2018 at 16:06, snowathlete said:

Will do as suggested and see but if it does turn out to be the water pump, has anyone had any luck getting the dealer to cover the cost on the basis it's premature failure? Car is only 4 years old and 45k miles.

Nothing to be concerned about if the amount that you need the correct level is not above 1/2 liter per year of coolant or distilled water (depending on the minimum freezing point). My CDAA TSi engine started to warn me about low levels after 5 y and more than 100K km. When water pump was inspected there were no noticeable leaks so the recommendation was just to monitor and to correct the level. Not more than above mentioned amount is necessary  so far to cover 15K km every year. BTW I noticed that the coolant lose is more accentuated in cold season and I have not certain explanation for this.

Before topping up the the max level I check the coolant freezing point with a YATO refractometer IOT to balance optimal concentration. 

YATO 2.jpg

YATO.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It was the water pump. Had it replaced, along with cam belt and auxiliary belts as they were contaminated and the engine also needed a clean because coolant had got all over the place. Not happy to be relieved of almost £600 for a part that shouldn't have failed yet.

• Confused 1

On 2/24/2018 at 21:37, snowathlete said:

Not happy to be relieved of almost £600 for a part that shouldn't have failed yet.

It should of been no more than £489 from dealer look Here.

Maybe get back on the phone and show them what they advertise:blush:

Edited by DEL80Y

1 hour ago, DEL80Y said:

It should of been no more than £489 from dealer look Here.

Maybe get back on the phone and show them what they advertise:blush:

Don't think that price includes the extras though, the auxiliary belts or engine clean, that's the difference in price.

1 hour ago, Danny 57 said:

My cam belt, water pump, coolant and drive belts came to £389 at the main dealer. You have been taken advantage off.

Possibly, but you may have just got lucky. £389 is the price for just the cam belt. The fixed price for the cam belt and water pump is £489

http://www.skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed and it doesn't say it includes anything other than the cam belt and water pump.

I'm contacting the consumer advice service anyway as I don't think it's right that a water pump should go this early, it's premature failure. I'm hoping I can make a claim for a refund and see what happens.

Lucky no at all. There are other people who have paid less, me I simply negotiate as I do on all my dealer visits. The water pump I had done because if it does go and it is known to (whether it should or should not as at five years these things happen) most of the cost is for the same work as the cambelt. So it is the price of a new water pump suitably negotiated as before. It all depends on your relationship with your dealer. Mine is excellent and that is why I get them to do everything.

10 hours ago, Danny 57 said:

Lucky no at all. There are other people who have paid less, me I simply negotiate as I do on all my dealer visits. The water pump I had done because if it does go and it is known to (whether it should or should not as at five years these things happen) most of the cost is for the same work as the cambelt. So it is the price of a new water pump suitably negotiated as before. It all depends on your relationship with your dealer. Mine is excellent and that is why I get them to do everything.

Danny, its as if you are saying that YOUR dealer doesn't lie to you, damage your car, rifle through it to "see what he's got" and refer to you in insulting terms..

Surely not?