How do dealers get away with this?!

Car needs a minor service in 600 miles, so effectively oil and oil change (plus a few "checks").

Phoned my local dealer Simpsons Skoda Preston. Was quoted £244. Queried that it seemed expensive, as the Skoda Fixed Price Servicing site quotes £159. The response: "if you look on the site, it says the VRS is excluded". Went and checked the small print and it mentions no exclusion.

How on earth do dealers continue to get away with this? Was bad enough they tried it on in the first place, perhaps hoping I didn't know about the fixed price servicing, but to then outright BS and say it's excluded and that the fixed page site says so, when it doesn't, is just beyond me.

Needless to say I'll be taking it somewhere else from now on. Worth a complaint to someone higher up at either the dealers or Skoda UK? 

15 minutes ago, Stuart-h said:

What would a local skoda speclist cost for the same job?

Not sure, but I'd like to keep the dealer service history until it's 6 years old. There's still a (minor) possibility of goodwill from Skoda UK should something major fail and need replacing. Some people will also (rightly or wrongly) value a car slightly more if it has full Manufacturer's dealer history.

Even at £159 it's not particularly cheap, but when they won't agree to this despite it being on the Skoda website, just seems silly. We're talking about Skoda here, a supposedly value brand, not some premium marque. My local BMW dealer does a minor for a tenner less and no playing silly buggers arguing over the cost. Pretty sure I paid about £135 3 years ago when I had my 330D.

Edited by ahenners

23 minutes ago, ahenners said:

How on earth do dealers continue to get away with this?

Needless to say I'll be taking it somewhere else from now on. Worth a complaint to someone higher up at either the dealers or Skoda UK? 

Easy question to answer - because people have and will continue to pay without question. The only way to stop it is to vote with your feet so you're absolutely right to go elsewhere.

Worth a complaint ?  Do you complain when the same fuel supplier charges different prices at their forecourts?  ( Unleaded at Sainsburys Straiton is currently 106.9p per litre, It's 111.9p 4 miles away at store in Cameron Toll and 116.9p at my local store.)  Any complaint you make will fall on deaf ears. It may make you feel good, they may price match another garage but you'll be wasting your time if you're expecting to change their policy.

?

Is your car over 3 years old & had it's first MOT?

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

See bottom of the page for the T&C.

As it is the Participating Dealerships do seem to often be like SIMPSONS SKODA where employees make it up as they go along, 

they get away with it because owners let them.

As it is you can pay the 'Major Service' price and yet not get parts fitted just because a technician decides no Air Filter or Spark Plugs are required.

Yet the VAT is being charged as though they were supplied.

Flexible Servicing, but Fixed ripping off of customers.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 2

Lol, vRS excluded! It’s not excluded, mine was quoted at £159 for the 80k service by my dealer with no messing and I asked nicely to get it better so it ended up at £129. SUK are useless but I’d certainly have a go at the dealer principal via email, see if his lying staff will then contact you with a price that beats Skoda’s fixed price. Won’t change it for everyone though, but you’ll know they’ll be making less. I’d take elsewhere anyway though, just to wind them up.

Edited by SashaGrace
  • Like 2

I've just had my car serviced by a dealer.  The price difference between what the dealer quoted and then booking the service via http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/online-service-booking/online-service-booking/ at the same dealer saved £50!!!!!

Just tried the Skoda site and using the "don't know the registration" option for a 3yr old 2l petrol Octavia (no "model" variants) at Simpsons Preston it offered me:

Interim Service (3 years +)
Click for more information about this job
£159.00

Major Service (3 years +)
Click for more information about this job
£279.00

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

Car needs a minor service in 600 miles, so effectively oil and oil change (plus a few "checks").

Phoned my local dealer Simpsons Skoda Preston. Was quoted £244. Queried that it seemed expensive, as the Skoda Fixed Price Servicing site quotes £159. The response: "if you look on the site, it says the VRS is excluded". Went and checked the small print and it mentions no exclusion.

How on earth do dealers continue to get away with this? Was bad enough they tried it on in the first place, perhaps hoping I didn't know about the fixed price servicing, but to then outright BS and say it's excluded and that the fixed page site says so, when it doesn't, is just beyond me.

Had mine done £129 .  That was lookers Skoda.

TSI VRS 220.

• Like 1

Thanks all, car is 4.5 years old and having its fifth service. Last one was a major 10k ago. Not had many problems with this particular dealer until about a year ago, seems to have gone downhill massively since.

Will be emailing the dealer principal later with my thoughts.

• Like 2

Also adding to the SIMPSONS SKODA review in the Dealers Review section i hope.

There are members that have had interesting responses in the past, and the Senior Director used to reply on Briskoda. 

• Like 1

My local dealer will price match, just get an email quote from any VAT reg independent specifying that genuine parts are used and they will match it.

Worth asking?

Edited by Muzza80

2 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

My local dealer will price match, just get an email quote from any VAT reg independent specifying that genuine parts are used and they will match it.

Worth asking?

Hope you're joking... Can't even get them to match prices on the official Skoda website where they are listed as a participating retailer. :D

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Hope you're joking... Can't even get them to match prices on the official Skoda website where they are listed as a participating retailer. :D

Not joking, Henry's Skoda Glasgow, will match any price for servicing work.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Both dealers I've used have also been happy to price match where genuine parts are used.

• Like 1

You just do not want Henrys price matching a Parks service price and then the standard of Service carried out by Parks in some cases.

Why is anyone paying a Major Service price to get a Oil & Filter change and a report and look see, 

but the bill is the same if a Air Filter is fitted or not fitted, and if 4 new spark plugs go in or not?

2 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Easy question to answer - because people have and will continue to pay without question. The only way to stop it is to vote with your feet so you're absolutely right to go elsewhere.

Worth a complaint ?  Do you complain when the same fuel supplier charges different prices at their forecourts?  ( Unleaded at Sainsburys Straiton is currently 106.9p per litre, It's 111.9p 4 miles away at store in Cameron Toll and 116.9p at my local store.)  Any complaint you make will fall on deaf ears. It may make you feel good, they may price match another garage but you'll be wasting your time if you're expecting to change their policy.

Straiton is only that cheap because Costco opened a petrol station next door, they're price matching Costco. 

It must be something in the water. Booked my MY15 VRS 184 in for it's 3rd variable service and was quoted 245. Thats an oil and filter change plus the pollen filter. WTF! - That's Wings Skoda Peterborough

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KarlO3V5 said:

It must be something in the water. Booked my MY15 VRS 184 in for it's 3rd variable service and was quoted 245. Thats an oil and filter change plus the pollen filter. WTF! - That's Wings Skoda Peterborough

I've always been quoted high prices for variable services. Limited room for manoeuvre here if the dealership won't move on price, as the prices listed on the Skoda site are for the fixed regime only.

Agree though... £245 is ridiculous for an oil and oil filter service.

3 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Nice anology, but it falls short in this scenario.

If Sainsbury's posted on their official website that Unleaded was a particular price and that my local Filling station participated in this pricing, then yes I'd complain and query why they are not honouring this listed pricing and making up their own price. Furthermore so, when if queried, the response incorrectly quoted an exclusion which doesn't exist.

Edited by ahenners

You guys don't know how cheaply you're getting these services. First oil change costs £250 on my 2017 vRS in Sweden from a VW certified shop which is needed for the service book to get a stamp.

• Like 1

You do have to ask the Service Desk receptionist exactly what you are getting.

Not all are untrained or simply not clever.

Some might know a 3 year service on a car with Haldex requires a Oil change (maybe Oil / Filter), and the brakes a brake fluid change, 

or at 40,000 miles a car with a 6 speed DSG an oil change even Oil / Filter change, vehicle dependent. 

So before just assuming the price quoted is a rip off, see what is being done. 

No point paying £110 extra because there is a Free Wash & Vacuum not required because you do not want it,

and yet parts are not replaced because the computer says not for another 20,00 

or 40,000 miles, 

yet the Service Schedule items like Haldex / DSG / Brake fluid is not being done, but they tell you the A/C needs a service.

Edited by AwaoffSki

pollen filter £30 quid and 10 min job, oil filter for a diesel is on the ramps and 15 mins tops filter is £15, i did it myself on the driveway (albeit it awkwardly). £200 quid for labour? nuts.

you pay for the official stamp on the log book nothing else. if your selling on its all well and good, but for someone like me its a waste of money.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, domhnall said:

Straiton is only that cheap because Costco opened a petrol station next door, they're price matching Costco. 

'

And it's usually no different servicing a car. If the next dealership is quoting less you either a) go to the next garage or b:) ask for a price match.

3 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

pollen filter £30 quid and 10 min job, oil filter for a diesel is on the ramps and 15 mins tops filter is £15, i did it myself on the driveway (albeit it awkwardly). £200 quid for labour? nuts.

you pay for the official stamp on the log book nothing else. if your selling on its all well and good, but for someone like me its a waste of money.

This.

Had the car been out of warranty Skoda would never see this car again. 

• Like 1