Rear window getting dirty

kelper

1 hour ago, TruckbusUK said:

Lost the will 3 or 4 pages back .... cant believe that using the supplied wash/wipe mechanism with water/screenwash can generate such volume of dialogue/drivel, its a flat vertical back car, live with it, or change it.

Glad I got that of my chest :blush:

Amen to that.

I will leave this forum as I feel so unwelcome.  I can't understand why some people read a topic that I started and then complain about it;  There are many threads on forums that I have no interest in - I don't read them.  I express my views and will debate them with anyone.  I quite enjoy an argument, but not a quarrel.  Why do some get so personal?  If it gives them any satisfaction, yes, I found their comments very hurtful.  But I will seriously consider if I need to change the way I post.

I won't respond to any more posts, but I would welcome any constructive PMs from any open-minded members.  There are certainly some who have managed to be critical without being so rude.

Edited by kelper
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"I will leave this forum as I feel so unwelcome.  I can't understand why some people read a topic that I started and then complain about it;  There are many threads on forums that I have no interest in - I don't read them.  I express my views and will debate them with anyone.  I quite enjoy an argument, but not a quarrel.  Why do some get so personal?  If it gives them any satisfaction, yes, I found their comments very hurtful.  But I will seriously consider if I need to change the way I post.

I won't respond to any more posts, but I would welcome any constructive PMs from any open-minded members.  There are certainly some who have managed to be critical without being so rude".

Choice is yours  -  you do what you want, no-one has asked you to go after such a relatively short time, and indeed one fella has suggested you stay ... but ideally do one thing or the other - never looks good when someone does a flounce then, sort of.... well ... doesn't, if you know what I mean. Mind you, wouldn't be the first time, nor the last.

What may be an issue to one person is more than likely not an issue for another person.

We are all here for constructive discussion and the expectation is that we all play nicely even if some posts drive you insane.

We are not in the game of driving new members away.

I only asked that question after reading through six pages of answers from some experienced Yeti drivers. Over the years we have had on occasions people asking things which turned out to be a complete wind up. As far as I'm concerned this guy shot himself in the foot when saying his last vehicle was a Defender. How did he keep the rear window on that clear??????  Since I asked the question the thread went dead. Strange ............

LR Defender rear windows do not generally have an issue with getting dirty, and no rear wiper.

Same with a Jimny. Same with many vehicles with rear windows that are flat, and that is not just because they do not go fast enough.

kap.tong.june 2009 020.JPG

kap.tong.june 2009 093.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki

Some may have.

Defender a name from 1991, 

before that they were Ninty/ 90's.  One Tens /110  and my one in the picture was a 1992.

http://v8engines.com 

Not a lot of people know that, bother or care.

Edited by AwaoffSki

I would guess that you are guessing that most Defenders still on the go have rear wipers,

unless someplace there are figures on that.

I have no idea how many were built with them, or how many had them fitted as a modification.

The point is that without a rear wiper there was no particular problem with the rear window getting dirty so that you could not see out it.

Be that running 100's of miles on winter roads, or up fire roads, or using offroad.

But then maybe others did have, and maybe if the spare was on the back door or not affected them.

I did thousands of miles without rear wipers, but then the door mirrors were pretty good, if not vibrating too much.

You even get vehicles without rear windows or tinted so much that they are hard to see out, like a Yeti Sherpa.

I have a 15 year old Jimny with 55,000 miles on it and the wiper blade has been replaced twice since 2003,

due to being used while the blade was frozen to the glass.

Maybe they are long lasting because they do not get lots of use,

just very occasionally by accident when not meaning to wipe the rear window.

Edited by AwaoffSki

2 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

I would guess that you are guessing that most Defenders still on the go have rear wipers,

unless someplace there are figures on that.

I have no idea how many were built with them, or how many had them fitted as a modification...., and maybe if the spare was on the back door or not affected them....

I've had two LR 110's, both with wipers and back-door spares, back in the '70's and '80's.  No idea what they've done since then. 

?

So did you need the rear wipers or washer much and go through loads of screen wash keeping the rear door glass clear because of the flat back?

44 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

?

So did you need the rear wipers or washer much and go through loads of screen wash keeping the rear door glass clear because of the flat back?

From memory (what's left of it), the rear windows were (are) too high to see much traffic behind - mostly buses and lorries (sorry, HGV's nowadays).  So in answer to your question: not often, and what screen wash?  Mind you, the 'wing' mirrors were the size of tea trays then. 

• Like 1