Recommended oil ? (5w-30 grade)

kwano

Citigo 2012 Greentech 

So after a bit of research its recommended to use 5w-30 grade. 

The premium brand is the usual Castrol Edge 5w-30 LL Long life. Eurocarparts after 35% discount is £31.16 (4 litres).

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engineoils/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/5w30-engine-oil/?521774531&0&cc5_247

Whilst its great oil, just looking at alternatives as it's not that we drive the Citigo fast and hard. It's just an A to B car.

Found Shell Helix HX8 5w-30 (VAG). Eurocarparts after 35% discount is £23.39 (5 litres). 

Don't think it's grade is as good as the Castrol Edge but I think it's still very good and better value ?

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engineoils/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/5w30-engine-oil/?521773591&0&cc5_247

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubricants/helix-for-cars/helix-fully-synthetic/shell-helix-hx8-synthetic-5w-30.html

Welcome.

Nothing special about Castrol / Quantum, Shell or any of the other Brands

As long as it is 5w 30 FF LL (VW504 00)  it does not matter if you buy it in ASDA in an ASDA Container, or TESCO,  

Even in a COMMA container or any other.

All produced by proper Oil Producers.

Edited by AwaoffSki

For fixed service interval you need vw502 00. Then choose viscosity. It can be vw504 00, but not needed.

(For me 0w-30 or 5w-30, as we sometimes have real winter here up north.) 

For Fixed Service the Spec is VW 502 00 or VW 504 00.

So VW 502 00 can be 5w 40 FS,   

where VW 504 00 will be 5w 30 FS LL or 0w 30 FS LL

For Variable / Flexible services it has to be VW 504 00.   ie Long Life.

Not that simple. 

But it might depend where you live. 

And I would never buy cheapest oils in market. There must be other differences between oils than just a price. 

Edited by Emil

Not looking for an argument, just trying to be factual.  It is only as difficult as you want to make it.

There is so much Oil snobbery about. 

The OP shows 'Manchester'.  

As to buying the cheapest, no there is no need to buy that, or the most expensive because it has a big Brand Name, 

just the correct oil, and ASDA / Walmart do actually buy proper oil from real Oil producers. 

COMMA produces proper oil to the correct specs.

There is more to oil than just price,

that is why they have to meet or exceed VW502 00 or VW 504 00.

Not rocket science, just mechanical engineering, and Marketing, and VW recommend Castrol, French Manufacturers Total, etc. 

But they do tell you the Spec to get.

*German car manufacturers have among the highest failure rate of engines of all car manufacturers, 

Japanese the lowest, maybe the recommended brand of Japanese manufacturers is the better oil for an engine to live a long time.*

Long Life Oil / Variable Servicing, can mean short life engines when they are TSI's anyway.

Edited by AwaoffSki

VW 502 00 can be 5w-30, 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40. I rather choose vw 502 00 as I don't need long life additives. VW 502 00 doesn't necessarily mean that oil is cheaper or not as good as vw 504 00 oils are.

Something to think about: Mobil 1 5w-30 meets manufacturer's vw 504 00 requirements. But ExonMobil says it only meets vw 502 00 requirements. They say you better use Mobil 1 0w-30 for vw 504 00 requirements. 

All Citigos are on fixed service interval regimes. FWIW I use Castrol Edge 5W-30 meeting the VW 507 00 spec in mine because I have some lying around and it meets or exceeds VW 502 00 and VW 504 00.

VW and BMW seem to have moved away from Castrol (to Shell) for factory fills and recommended oils but Castrol Edge is still a good oil.

On 20/02/2018 at 17:19, Emil said:

VW 507 00 is for diesel engines. 

If memory serves Castrol Edge 5w-30 is vw 504 00 for petrol engine.

The spec on the back of the 5W-30 bottle that I have here says it meets both VW 504 00 and VW 507 00. :blink:

VW 504 00 for petrol engines and VW 507 00. So VW 507 00 doesn't exceed VW 504 00 because there is different ratings for diesel and petrol engines.

Castrol Edge 5w-30 is long life oil for diesel and petrol engines. Citigo doesn't necessarily need long life oil because fixed service interval.