DSG + Snow...

I found a thread on here from 2010 and figured it was best to start a new one instead of an epic, 8 year thread revival....

First auto/semi auto car I've owned with the DSG box and had my first snow experience with it today..... well..... I'm still alive but was a little hairy!  It's capable of driving on snow on flat ground but as soon as there was a slight incline- forget it.... turned into a hill, front wheels facing upwards and the rear wheels still on the flat... that's as far as I got and started to slide sideways/backwards.  Fortunately nothing was behind/near me so didn't cause any accidents but I'll definitely be avoiding hills of any kind in the snow...

The thread I'd found previously, some folk said the best way they found to control the DSG was to have it in D and slowly let off the brake pedal to allow gradual traction, as opposed to letting off the brake completely and too much torque going to the wheels.. I'll definitely give that a shot next time!  What I was impressed with was the traction control and how no matter how hard you pressed on the accelerator, it didn't allow engine to rev its nuts off.

Any advice/tips if your own to share? :D

Winter wheels and tyres on mine. Not tried it on steep hills with snow but otherwise seems ok on the snow. Just be gentle.

Winter or all season tyres are an essential in Scotland, in my view anyway.

Shame it doe not have a "snow" button for starting in d2 or m2.

In my view the DSG is far superior in snow as manual, coupled together with electronic front differential lock, well it is amazing. I have no problems in snowy hills any more with my Fabia. Compare to the manual VW Polo I have as the previous car without this combination, well it was a pain... now I just let the car do its thing. Obviously good winter tires are a must.

I've had 2 vRS's with DSG and never had any problems in the snow.

Turn off the traction control, put it into manual and then just let off the brake & let the car do the rest

DSG v's Manual in the snow makes very little difference, they are both direct drive when the clutch is fully engaged, the only difference is how smoothly clutch engages on the DSG. You just have to be gentle.

Summer tyres V's Winter tyres in the snow the difference is night and day.

DSG on snow with Winter Tyres or good All Seasons, no problem.

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 2

DSG are hopeless in snow, especially trying to reverse, it's not smooth enough to gain traction.  

Tip: buy an EV.

My Skoda was having problems in snow on Dunlop summer tyres, but the Nissan Leaf EV on bad, budget summer tyres can do complex 3-point turn on an incline without any problem. Small hills are piece of cake. The EV motor doesn't have to have a minimal RPM, so I can precisely control EXACTLY how much the wheels are turning, this makes gaining the initial grip needed to start moving much easier than the jumpy clutch based combustion engine car.

Wonderful in snow. 

In proper snow,  as long as other traffic is getting about the only reason you might have difficulty is wide summer tyres.

Just fit the correct tyres, as with all vehicles.

Manual Mode with TC Off was never a problem in Snow in my Mk5 or 6 GTi DSG and I wouldn't expect my VRs to be significantly different but seeing as she's nice and warm somewhere between Grimsby and Derbados currently I can't tell you!

On a drive through the Peak District in heavy snow at -3 my FWD vRS with DSG and winter tyres coped much better than the 4-wheel drive BMW X5 on huge wheels (summer tyres?) that was trying to follow me.  Up hill,  down hill, stopping,  cornering.   My car was better.  The right tyres make all the difference.

Had fun week ago I just didn't find time to edit the video. So here you go!
I had no problem while driving. I tried some turns with the hand brake. And manage to drift in on turn. But didn't want to go crazy and crashing my car. Never tried that before. Any way car is pretty much sticked to the road wit good winter tires. FYI first part of video is just normal driving in snowy conditions.

Tyres, tyres and tyres.

Never understand why so many UK drivers slide around all winter with summer tyres on their cars.

No different to walking on a snowy/ice covered pavement, correct footwear is needed or yo fall on your ar*e !

In my mind DSG is far easier to drive on snow compared to MT. I had an Audi A3 with a 6DSG and with good winter tires I hardly ever felt the wheels spinning when pulling away. You just let the brake and off it goes. It's harder to be as precise with the clutch. 

This is my first winter with the Octy and I intentionally put Conti TS860 as they are claimed the best winter tire for this season. In the first snowy day here I thought "WTF?! There tires are ****!" but then I realized it's not the tires - I was just too aggressive with the clutch. Being used to the DSG, I totally forgot how to avoid wheel spin in the winter.