Superb 2 Wheel and Tyre Information

chimaera

It is possible to change to wheel and tyre sizes that are not type approved but there is more work involved here.

The most common change here is changing to a higher profile tyre on stock rims. This will lead to a discrepancy in your odometer and speedometer, and depending on how much you change the sidewall height you could find yourself in a situation where your speedometer is reading lower than your actual road speed leaving you at risk for speeding fines.

On VAG cars, the speedometer is programmed to read 5 % higher than your actual road speed while the odometer is programmed to read true: there's a caveat here that the speedometer and odometer read out based on counting wheel rotations and therefore can be wrong due to things like tread wear, tyre pressure, variation in nominal tyre size between manufacturers. If you're concerned about this (or just curious) you could calibrate against a GPS device, or distance markers on a motorway.

There's a calculator at http://www.willtheyfit.com/ which allows you to compare your current tyre size to the size of the tyre you're considering changing to.

The instrument cluster is set up with what's known as the k-number (also known as the distance impulse number) to convert wheel rotation into distance/speed. On older cars, this could be directly edited using VCDS via an adaptation channel, so you could set it exactly right for the new tyre size you're using. On the Superb 2, it can only be changed via a coding change in the instrument cluster (the coding helper in VCDS should be able to guide you here). 

From researching online and testing on my own car, the only 2 k-number codings that are valid are 1 (the default) and 2. Coding 1 corresponds to a k-number of 22084 and a wheel circumference of 1947 mm: nominally this aligns to the type approved tyre sizes listed above. Coding 2 corresponds to a k-number of 21224 and a wheel circumference of 2025 mm: the closest tyre size I found to this is 235/45/R18, but others are likely to be close. There are other codings possible here but on my car at least, the cluster refused to accept them: my guess is that it's locked down by Skoda.

There's further information on the instrument cluster here: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Instrument_Cluster While that page is for the mk 5 Golf, the shared architecture between that and the Superb 2 means much of the information is valid.

The other common change is to switch to different wheels entirely. The main things to watch for here are offset, brake clearance and the PCD of the wheel bolts. The size calculator I posted above will allow you compare the effect of different offset: you're aiming to have the centre of the tyre's contact patch in the same place, particularly on the front wheels to avoid messing up steering caster. For brake clearance, you'll probably have to get out the ruler and measure, or if possible do a test fit of the wheels you're looking to change to.

On the Superb 2, like all PQ35/PQ46 based cars, the PCD is 5x112 mm. This is a very common size among VAG brands so finding wheels isn't that hard. Note that the mk4 Golf and the Octavia 1 based on it use 5x100 mm so wheels from those cars won't fit.

• Like 2

chimaera; thanks very much for all this info - it's very useful.

I note that the standard fitment on my car (225/40/18) does not allow the fitment of chains. Maybe I missed it but I don't recall any warnings in the handbook; I'll check next time I have a moment. Makes me wonder if there are folk who bought winter tyres for their standard alloys without realising that chains would not fit.

2 hours ago, MikeHig said:

Makes me wonder if there are folk who bought winter tyres for their standard alloys without realising that chains would not fit.

Here's one ... :D ... I have the chains prepared just in case in the boot, but I hope they won't be required (and if they will, that I'll somehow manage to get them on and use them without creating problems with the wheel arches).

That's unfortunate vborovic. Might be worth giving it a try to see if they fit so you know for sure.

I did have a look in the handbook and there is a very small note about certain wheel sizes not being suitable but it is easy to miss - I did previously. To my mind it should be added to the sticker about tyre pressures inside the fuel flap where everyone would see it.

28 minutes ago, jafo said:

Instead of chains - socks :)

I have high hopes for the 4x4 system, though I still haven't tested it if it works on my car, waiting for proper snow - which should eliminate the need for chains. I believe I have great winter tyres fitted (at least so far they have proved very good in daily commute, dry, wet and snow).

21 minutes ago, MikeHig said:

That's unfortunate vborovic. Might be worth giving it a try to see if they fit so you know for sure.

Physically they should fit the wheel arch, I don't know about turning clearance though (but it might be a challenge to get them on the wheel while the wheels are on the ground) - it wasn't a prerequisite for me in buying this car that I have to be able to fit the chains on, we're not in Scandinavia) ... :D

Edited by vborovic

• 2 years later...
On 08/06/2020 at 15:45, Rumbeard said:

What about buying the Supernova 19" for the Superb 3 on a Superb 2 2014 combi?  They are 5x112

Looking at the offset, they're going to put the tyre's contact patch further out by about 6 mm, which will have some effect on the steering. It's hard to say how much though.

On 08/06/2020 at 17:45, Rumbeard said:

What about buying the Supernova 19" for the Superb 3 on a Superb 2 2014 combi?  They are 5x112

The Supernova rims from the Superb MK3 have a specification of 8Jx19 ET44. If you are going to use 225/35R19 tyres, then you may be better off getting narrower 7.5J rims. The narrower 7.5J rims will give a more comfortable ride and be less prone to kerbing damage as the tyre sidewalls will bulge out a bit more.

There are lots of alloy rims on this website for various Skoda models.

https://www.skoda-parts.com/online-store.html

Edited by Carlston

5 hours ago, Rumbeard said:

No I'd use 235/40 R19 tyres as that's what they're supposed to use.  I'd buy both new rims and tyres.

Superb MK2 tyres have a much smaller outside diameter than Superb MK3 tyres. Fitting MK3 tyres to a MK2 will raise the gearing of the MK2 by over 5% which could make your gearing too high especially 1st gear and top gear. Also, the tyres might rub on the bodywork. It's risky unless you know someone who has done it before.

You can usually get away with going up 10mm on the width or 5% on the aspect ratio, but not always both.

On another thread, someone did post a photo of when they went up from 225/45R17 to 225/50R17 on a Superb MK2, but this was just a 5% increase in aspect ratio not both a 10mm increase in width and a 5% increase in aspect ratio.

Edited by Carlston

10 hours ago, Rumbeard said:

No I'd use 235/40 R19 tyres as that's what they're supposed to use.  I'd buy both new rims and tyres.

Have a look on willtheyfit.com. You can put in the details of your swap and see the effect. Any change in rolling radius will mess with the speedometer and odometer - you can see the difference on that site and decide what you can live with.

As I pointed out further up the thread, if you have access to VCDS you can adjust the wheel diameter calibration in the instrument cluster to the equivalent of 235/45 R18 which may be closer to what you're changing to.

1 hour ago, Cornel97 said:

What about 16 inches 6.5j et50 to superb combi mk2(dsg). I'm quite unsure if they will fit.. Thanks 

16" rims will fit if your front brake discs have a diameter of 288mm or 312mm. 16" rims won't fit if your front brake discs have a diameter of 340mm or 345mm.

Edited by Carlston

2 hours ago, chimaera said:

Unless you have a 3.6 engine the 16s should fit around your brakes. The ET is a little on the high side but it might be ok.

I currently have 18s on, 225/40r18 these 16s are 205/50r16, if they fit around the brakes I guess it is ok considering the wheel it's not that wide. 

2 hours ago, chimaera said:

Unless you have a 3.6 engine the 16s should fit around your brakes. The ET is a little on the high side but it might be ok.

205/55r16, sorry! One more question.. I've heard from my local garage that it might be some problems with the DSG if I put different wheels. Sounds bit weird to me, what do you guys think? 

1 hour ago, Cornel97 said:

I've heard from my local garage that there might be problems with the DSG if I put different wheels on.

205/55R16 tyres are not going to cause problems with the DSG.

If you don't want the standard 7Jx16 ET45 steel rim for the Superb MK2, then I have three suggestions which are all 18-hole designs so would be suitable for the standard Superb MK2 wheel trims.

6.5Jx16 ET41

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/alcar-kfz-8426#21235523

6.5Jx16 ET42

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/alcar-kfz-8425#21238120

6.5Jx16 ET44

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/alcar-kfz-9173#21067423

Here is the Skoda online parts catalogue that shows the wheel trim for the Superb MK2

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/SUP/year/2012/drive_standart/632/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601010/part_id/2543667/lang/e

Edited by Carlston

6 minutes ago, Carlston said:

205/55R16 tyres are not going to cause problems with the DSG.

The 6Jx16 ET50 steel rim is a 14-hole design, but the wheel trim that is shown on the Skoda online parts catalogue is only suitable for an 18-hole design of steel rim.

If you don't want the standard 7Jx16 ET45 steel rim for the Superb MK2, then I have three suggestions which are all 18-hole designs so would be suitable for the standard Superb MK2 wheel trims.

6.5Jx16 ET41

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/alcar-kfz-9173#21067423

6.5Jx16 ET42

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/alcar-kfz-8425#21238120

6.5Jx16 ET44

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/alcar-kfz-8426#21235523

Here is the Skoda online parts catalogue that shows the wheel trim for the Superb MK2

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/SUP/year/2012/drive_standart/632/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601010/part_id/2543667/lang/e

Thanks for replying, these are the alloys that I am after. Found them quite cheap, second hand obviously. 

Screenshot_20200612_122146.jpg

6 hours ago, Cornel97 said:

Hi guys, quick update. I got the wheels, but I reckon I will need some spacers now, I was thinking about 15mm spacers all around. 

Screenshot_20200616_152526.jpg

If you have 6.5Jx16 ET50 rims on your Superb MK2, then fitting 15mm wheel spacers will change the offset from ET50 to ET35. Make sure the wheel spacers are hubcentric. Hubcentric means that the wheelspacers have spigots which accurately locate the wheel on the centre of the hub.

The most that I would want to push the offset on a Superb MK2 is ET38. ET35 is starting to get a long way from what the front steering is set up for at the factory.

It's always better to get wheels with the correct offset so that you don't have to use wheel spacers. Wheel spacers have many problems. Additional unsprung weight, corrosion problems due to dissimilar metals, extra source of potential failure, etc.

30 minutes ago, Carlston said:

If you have 6.5Jx16 ET50 rims on your Superb MK2, then fitting 15mm wheel spacers will change the offset from ET50 to ET35. Make sure the wheel spacers are hubcentric. Hubcentric means that the wheelspacers have spigots which accurately locate the wheel on the centre of the hub.

The most that I would want to push the offset on a Superb MK2 is ET38. ET35 is starting to get a long way from what the front steering is set up for at the factory.

It's always better to get wheels with the correct offset so that you don't have to use wheel spacers. Wheel spacers have many problems. Additional unsprung weight, corrosion problems due to dissimilar metals, extra source of potential failure, etc.

Then I could fit 10mm spacers.. What do u think? Thanks