Auto headlight switch

Tatsky

Hi Guys

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am in the process of adding a number of retrofits to my 2004 Mk1 Octavia 1.9TDi.  I've got my cruise control on it's way, parking sensors and rear camera (why not have both?), and I am fitting the LED puddle lights which has been documented here on the forum.

I wanted to fit the auto headlight switch from the Mk4 golf.  There's a whole host of sellers on Ebay offering them.

However, all the posts I can find referencing this seem to be for the Mk2 octavia.  Can the headlight switch be swapped out on the Mk1?  I would have thought the Mk4 golf switch would be a direct swap?

I have pulled the switch out of my car, and the connection on the back looks identical to the photo of the connection of those offered on ebay.

For example:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automatic-Auto-Headlight-Sensor-Chrome-Switch-for-VW-GOLF-JETTA-MK4-1998-2004/252638634869?fits=Model%3AGolf|Plat_Gen%3AMK+IV&hash=item3ad26fa375:g:ZvkAAOSwKoRZZvX5

Many thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

yes you can retro fit that into your octy. I have one very similar to it in mine. The only difference with mine is there’s a separate control box. 

CEAE0C4F-6706-4979-9BDC-A2A6B7288EE9.jpeg

Thanks for getting back to me.

It must be something like this one??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Auto-Aluminium-Auto-Headlight-Sensor-Switch-For-Jetta-Golf-MK4-1998-04-VW/142468536135?hash=item212bc95747:g:fK8AAOSw9KhaBSBk

Does this enable the "come home" facility, where the head lights remain on until you lock the car, so you can use the lights to illuminate your way to your door?  I live in the sticks, in an area with practically no streetlighting, so getting home on the dark knights is a trecherous affair, and then the inevitable fumbling for a house key and locating the lock purely by feel.

On 2/13/2018 at 01:33, Tatsky said:

I am in the process of adding a number of retrofits to my 2004 Mk1 Octavia 1.9TDi.  I've got my cruise control on it's way, parking sensors and rear camera (why not have both?), and I am fitting the LED puddle lights which has been documented here on the forum.

could you please share the links of the same, i have an octy mk1 too and might be cool to have some of these modifications done

As kentphil1 ^ said, the guides on the site here are brilliant.  Some are a pain where the paywall has rendered the images un-viewable, but for the most part there is a lot of info and ideas in the guides.