Ovtavis VRS purchase

I'm on the lookout for an Octavia VRS MK III (Particularly a petrol one in red with the black design pack plus)
Not sure on manual or dsg yet. I have never driven a DSG so am going to try and find one to test drive at the weekend.
Unfortunately there is only a few used cars that seem to exist to this spec. These are 12 months old or less and most of them are not local to me, so not easy to get a test drive.
I have been offered a new manual car to this spec for a shade under £20k.
There is a couple of 17 plate cars with under 10k miles within the approved skoda network. One is £19,995 and one £21.5k i think.
Really don't understand why you would want to pay the same (or more) for a used car rather than a new one! I assume it is because of the £3k dealer deposit contribution offered with the new car.
Anyway, i have been told that they have stopped taking orders on the petrol VRS and the old cars you can have are orders that i already been placed by the dealer, so i would be limited to that spec.
Part of me thinks to go with the new one, but never owned a brand new car before and the depreciation hit is making me think twice.
Is the latest facelifted mark 3 with the extra over the earlier mark 3?
Can anyone confirm what was actually changed (other than the obvious external appearance changes). I beleive the Amundsen system was updated, but not sure how? I belive that the main change is the addition of Smartlink, but doesn't the old one have mirrorlink, which is similar?
Looks like i have unfortunately missed the decent lease deals on them (even on the Diesel) as a lease on a petrol is working out to be around £7.5k over 2 years (before options) which isn't great!
We already have a petrol Mark II VRS (which we intend to keep_

Both pre and post fl have the SmartLink as it became an option from MY16 onwards. Surely depreciation will be less on a car that’s cheaper, irrelevant of age? If you’ve found a car new that you like in a spec you want, it’ll have 1 less keeper on the V5 and it’ll be newer to boot so depreciation on a £20k car will be less than a £21.5k car, unless it’s the monthly payment that counts then it’s fully dependent on the specific deal in question. Good luck with the choice!

24 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Both pre and post fl have the SmartLink as it became an option from MY16 onwards. Surely depreciation will be less on a car that’s cheaper, irrelevant of age? If you’ve found a car new that you like in a spec you want, it’ll have 1 less keeper on the V5 and it’ll be newer to boot so depreciation on a £20k car will be less than a £21.5k car, unless it’s the monthly payment that counts then it’s fully dependent on the specific deal in question. Good luck with the choice!

+1 for this.

dont forget also an extra year OEM warrenty too.

Theres also something about that "new" car experience you don't get picking up one someone else has owned.

• Like 1

Mirrorlink is a bit...janky looking. As the name suggests, it mirrors your phone onto your infotainment screen. If you have an android phone SmartLink uses android auto (I use it every day, and it's great for Spotify, Google maps, voice text), or if you have an iPhone SmartLink uses apple car play; which is kind of similar but I don't think Google apps work with it

Edit: sorry, just to be clear, cars that come with SmartLink also have mirrorlink (which is a bit pants in comparison)

Edited by Aarond

7 hours ago, chuno said:

I have been offered a new manual car to this spec for a shade under £20k.
There is a couple of 17 plate cars with under 10k miles within the approved skoda network. One is £19,995 and one £21.5k i think.

Part of me thinks to go with the new one, but never owned a brand new car before and the depreciation hit is making me think twice.

'

Why the need to think twice?  Whatever way you look at it, the depreciation on a new £20k Vrs is going to be less than the depreciation on a used £20k Vrs ?

Used? There are deals to be had on new cars because the manufacturer/dealer need to sell new cars. It also means is those used cars you've looked at are overpriced. Get the details of those used cars, feed them in to something like Wewantanycar.com and  WeBuyanycar.com - take the average price and that's as good an indication of how much the car is currently worth. Then add around £1500 for the dealer and that's really the price you should be aiming to negotiate those used cars down to.

New? I normally use DriveTheDeal as a good indication of what the new discounted price should be but they aren't showing any petrol Vrs available at the moment. I'm not sure why this is, there will be more informed people on this forum than me, but if I were taking an educated guess, I'd say they're offering you old stock - ie an engine or something that's about to be changed. If you're worried about depreciation, the extra discount may well work to your advantage.   

Value for money vs. 7kW advantage, LED headlamps and some interior comfort features

Much of a muchness really. I settled for a MY17 rather than buy a new MY18 because of a large price difference, but from what's been said here the LEDs must REALLY be worth it (because the 7kW bonus in the tuning doesn't seem to me to be significant enough). 

8 hours ago, Scot5 said:

'

Why the need to think twice?  Whatever way you look at it, the depreciation on a new £20k Vrs is going to be less than the depreciation on a used £20k Vrs ?

Used? There are deals to be had on new cars because the manufacturer/dealer need to sell new cars. It also means is those used cars you've looked at are overpriced. Get the details of those used cars, feed them in to something like Wewantanycar.com and  WeBuyanycar.com - take the average price and that's as good an indication of how much the car is currently worth. Then add around £1500 for the dealer and that's really the price you should be aiming to negotiate those used cars down to.

New? I normally use DriveTheDeal as a good indication of what the new discounted price should be but they aren't showing any petrol Vrs available at the moment. I'm not sure why this is, there will be more informed people on this forum than me, but if I were taking an educated guess, I'd say they're offering you old stock - ie an engine or something that's about to be changed. If you're worried about depreciation, the extra discount may well work to your advantage.   

According to Simpsons Skoda Facebook this is why the 230 and 245 are out of production. A 4wd 300hp Octavia maybe in the pipeline? If so I'm getting rid of mine for one!! 

IMG_7092.PNG

So an alternative is coming & you think that's a 4WD 300bhp version or does the rest of the conversation say it ?

A 4x4 VRS is a bit like every big football tournament England qualify for, lots of hope, lots of tease but ultimately, F all chance

Edited by themanwithnoaim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

So an alternative is coming & you think that's a 4WD 300bhp version or does the rest of the conversation say it ?

A 4x4 VRS is a bit like every big football tournament England qualify for, lots of hope, lots of tease but ultimately, F all chance

Just a thought/hope of mine.

That way I can sell the idea to missus, 4wd more grip and all - the fact it'll have more equal power to a Golf R she doesn't need to know lol

As you've said, I won't hold my breath; it'll probably end up being a VRS 1.6l hybrid...

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Something might be on the cards, seems strange that the 245 was pulled and now the 230. Unless the Octavia Vrs has met it's end and Skoda are going to push the Superb Sportline 

I highly doubt the Octavia vRS is dead. It accounts for a significant number of sales and the Superb is in no way a replacement. 

Buying new, factory order gives you the chance to add / specify items too, like DCC, ACC and silver stitching rather than pink.

Stock new gives you extra warranty and much quicker to receive than factory order (if factory order is possible). Some satisfaction with running it in yourself too :-)

A little shout out for uk-car-discount.co.uk, cheaper for me than the other brokers incl options.

The VRS

7 hours ago, courty said:

According to Simpsons Skoda Facebook this is why the 230 and 245 are out of production. A 4wd 300hp Octavia maybe in the pipeline? If so I'm getting rid of mine for one!! 

IMG_7092.PNG

I think this is nonsense from Simpsons. Neither model is "out of production". There are people on here awaiting delivery from planned future production and you can still order the cars in other markets.  My bet is the "replacement" will be the same VRS models with the usual new model year tweaks. 

2 hours ago, stepdavi said:

ive read that the new (maybe my19) octavia will now have the full screen dash thing from vws. just google skoda octavia and its the first news item.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

As there seems to be a shortage of Petrol VRS's i have been struggling to find one to test drive.

I booked a test drive at my local dealer yesterday, but the only one they had was a 245, which i obviously took out!

Must say that i loved the car (especially the engine sound in sport mode), but i am now a little bit concerned that i may find a 'normal VRS 230 a bit boring in comparison.

I see that they added an uprated exhaust to the 245. Does it make much of a different in sport mode? To be honest i though it was abour right in the car i drove - made a nice sound without being too intrusive - wouldn't want it to be too much quieter (i do realize that some of it is 'fake'

Also, will it feel much slower with 15bhp less?

Edited by chuno

i have a 245 dsg, to be honest cant imagine youd notice 15bhp, the main difference is the LSD, and if you go DSG its 7 speed in 245 and 6 in 230. Rear barkaes are bit bigger but dont think the callipers are any different. the alcantara seats in 245 are nice, but so are the normal ones in 230. i think the tests show 0.1 to 60 difference between 230 and 245 so nothing in it there, maybe a bit more mid range with 20NM torque extra but again its not too much. id say go for what you get the best deal on. bear in mind to get similar spec to a 245 youll have to add some packs to the 230, black pack plus being one (19" wheels, black grille) and i think a winter pack or similar to get heated elec front seats.

20 minutes ago, chuno said:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

As there seems to be a shortage of Petrol VRS's i have been struggling to find one to test drive.

I booked a test drive at my local dealer yesterday, but the only one they had was a 245, which i obviously took out!

Must say that i loved the car (especially the engine sound in sport mode), but i am now a little bit concerned that i may find a 'normal VRS 230 a bit boring in comparison.

I see that they added an uprated exhaust to the 245. Does it make much of a different in sport mode? To be honest i though it was abour right in the car i drove - made a nice sound without being too intrusive - wouldn't want it to be too much quieter (i do realize that some of it is 'fake'

Also, will it feel much slower with 15bhp less?

220, 230, 245 or mapped. The difference will be the kit you specify or comes with a second hand/ stock car and the extra layer of 'happiness' you get from one-upping the neighbours. They're all quick smooth versions and will help you to lose your licence equally as quickly...