Washer bong and Tyre pressures Q

Is there any way to make the washer fluid warning chill the f out?

I really don't want to disable it but it just goes off so frequently when it's low. I drove two hours yesterday and it started near the start of the journey but still had plenty to tide me over still I stopped but it was going off every... 5-10 minutes? highly irritating!

Also I believe the full tyre pressure sensing mashings were an option? Mine seems to warn you of "pressure loss" but doesn't seem to indicate which tyre? Seems a bit crummy when my last car would tell you both which tyre and their current pressures :/ 

The only way to stop the washer warning without coding it out is to keep it topped up, this is after all what it is notifying you to do.

TPMS is now standard in the EU, far better to warn you one tyre is losing pressure than do nothing at all, surely when you stop to check the tyres you would check them all anyway?

I find the washer warning on my Superb exactly the same, really annoying, I think it does it when the fluid is just on the level of the sensor so if you go around a corner or accelerate it thinks it's run out but then on the level it thinks there's enough. Best option is to spray the screen some more so the fluid is below the sensor and then it seems to stop bonging after it has warned you once.

48 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

On my Octavia 230 if you get a TP warning I get a picture of the car ( in white ) and the wheel at fault is coloured red on the radio Screen.

Interesting. It seemed when looking in the car menu I could see the warning and some display that looks like it should show which tyre but they were all white, checked them all and none were massively far out of spec if much at all.

Bit disappointing if it's not like yours. Like I say my old car, which was a fair bit older managed to do as yours does. Saves running round in the rain in a service station :dry:

18 minutes ago, Mark944gold said:

I find the washer warning on my Superb exactly the same, really annoying, I think it does it when the fluid is just on the level of the sensor so if you go around a corner or accelerate it thinks it's run out but then on the level it thinks there's enough. Best option is to spray the screen some more so the fluid is below the sensor and then it seems to stop bonging after it has warned you once.

Glad it's not just me, wouldn't mind if it told you the levels or you could just turn it off as somehow I managed without it in other cars. It's not so much the warning but that everything seems to share the same slightly aggressive/dramatic BONG, that makes me jump a bit.

Edited by grumpytwig
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, grumpytwig said:

Interesting. It seemed when looking in the car menu I could see the warning and some display that looks like it should show which tyre but they were all white, checked them all and none were massively far out of spec if much at all.

Bit disappointing if it's not like yours. Like I say my old car, which was a fair bit older managed to do as yours does. Saves running round in the rain in a service station :dry:

I have the Coloured Maxi Dot so I wonder if thats why I get a Red Wheel.

15 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I have the Coloured Maxi Dot so I wonder if thats why I get a Red Wheel.

Maybe I should have searched as there's some interesting replies here: 

Seems maybe it doesn't always specify a wheel. Some useful info in there in general tbh

Edited by grumpytwig

For the screenwash it is unfortunately does this when the level is on the threshold for the warning & the sensor bobs above & below the limit.

The only way to stop it is to spray some more water so the level is lower than the sensor limit even with sloshing around (or top it up).

The TPMS will give you a warning about which tyre is deflating.

If you are getting a general warning TPMS error this is usually a sign that something has changed on the system & it hasnt been reset correctly.

e.g. tyres have been changed/swapped or pressures changed without resetting the system.

The TPMS system on the Octavia only measures the Wheel rotations & has no direct link to the pressures in the tyres.

You have to inform it when something has changed otherwise you will get the general TPMS warning.

• Like 1

I would set the car on flat ground. set all the tyres pressures correctly & then reset the system.

This should then allow it to learn the good profile of your wheels & notify you which Wheel has problems in the future.

it has always amazed me that tyre pressures on cars are so poor and dont give you the specific tyre pressures fort each tyre. my bikes have specific pressures on both tyres and are really accurate. why cannot an audi or skoda duo the same?

46 minutes ago, MidlifeC said:

it has always amazed me that tyre pressures on cars are so poor and dont give you the specific tyre pressures fort each tyre. my bikes have specific pressures on both tyres and are really accurate. why cannot an audi or skoda duo the same?

They could and probably do on certain models. They system we’re discussing here is just meant to alert the driver to a sudden and potentially dangerous deflation of tyres.  The cost is also minimal, not like having to use special valves that relay the pressure info back to the car. 

4 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

They could and probably do on certain models. They system we’re discussing here is just meant to alert the driver to a sudden and potentially dangerous deflation of tyres.  The cost is also minimal, not like having to use special valves that relay the pressure info back to the car. 

From reading up on it more, as you say it seems the Skoda system isn't the same as on some marques. It'll tell you about problem, maybe even a specific wheel but not the actual pressure as there isn't a sensor within the actual tyre.

Think the reason my old car (a Renault) did it was because the tyre valves were actual sensors and had a little diaphragm on them, a Continental system. Seems the Skoda system does some clever stuff with the abs/wheel speed sensors to just detect some set of parameters that equate to an issue being present.

Every days a school day :) 

12 hours ago, MidlifeC said:

Real Pressure sensing valves have been available for many years for cars.

You will find them now on some more premium models with most OEMs using this Wheel speed monitoring system instead.

However, they are extra cost (over a free system which just uses software & works pretty well) & are a pain for the driver as you have to pay extra to swap them between winter/summer wheels or costly coding if you need to replace one.

Edited by Gabbo

12 hours ago, grumpytwig said:

From reading up on it more, as you say it seems the Skoda system isn't the same as on some marques. It'll tell you about problem, maybe even a specific wheel but not the actual pressure as there isn't a sensor within the actual tyre.

Think the reason my old car (a Renault) did it was because the tyre valves were actual sensors and had a little diaphragm on them, a Continental system. Seems the Skoda system does some clever stuff with the abs/wheel speed sensors to just detect some set of parameters that equate to an issue being present.

Every days a school day :) 

spot on!

I'd recommend checking your tyre pressures & then resetting the TPMS system at the same time.

It should work without the false warnings after that.

8 hours ago, Gabbo said:

Real Pressure sensing valves have been available for many years for cars.

You will find them now on some more premium models with most OEMs using this Wheel speed monitoring system instead.

However, they are extra cost (over a free system which just uses software & works pretty well) & are a pain for the driver as you have to pay extra to swap them between winter/summer wheels or costly coding if you need to replace one.

Not even the latest Audi RS4 (B8 & B9 versions) get the tyre pressure sensing valves, the B7 version did but Audi changed to the ABS version to save costs.

So don't assume that all premium models have pressure sensing valves, you have to read the detailed spec.