ACC operation with DSG

With a DSG and ACC am I correct in thinking that the car will slow down to a stop in traffic jam situations, then resume back up to the set speed when traffic starts moving again? 

If so, do you need to press the ACC stalk for this to happen or does it all happen automatically with no driver intervention?

I take it this is also different to Traffic Jam assist, which from my understanding needs ACC, DSG and lane assist (enabled at the time) to near enough control the speed and steering of the car in a traffic jam. 

I’ve had 2 cars with ACC but never with a DSG, would appreciate some insight. 

Yes it will slow down and stop on it’s own, it will only set off again without intervention from the driver if you have been stationary less than (IIRC) 5 seconds, after this time you either pull the ACC stalk back or press the throttle momentarily and the car will pull away again.

Not sure about the Traffic Jam Assist as my Lane Assist is always on.

• Thanks 1

All as Gizmo says. One word to the wise - it's a bit of a leap of faith the first time you try it. The braking (to me at least) can feel a bit late and a bit sharp. I was covering the brake very carefully the first few times I used it. Then I just got used to it. I don't think there is anything wrong with the system - it just doesn't drive in the same way I do. But then again neither does SWMBO...

Having had the combination for six weeks now I have to say I love it, but I've changed my driving style a bit. At high speed, if I see brakes coming on a way ahead of me, I tend to brake manually to take the edge off the speed and use engine braking, then re-engage the ACC once at more manageable speed (30-40MPH). It reacts much better braking to a halt from those kind of speeds without it feeling like an emergency stop. Once actually in a traffic jam it works brilliantly, pulling you away if it's stopped for only a few seconds or with a dab on the throttle or forward flick of the ACC stalk. Having come from a manual with normal CC I would never go back.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

All as Gizmo says. One word to the wise - it's a bit of a leap of faith the first time you try it. The braking (to me at least) can feel a bit late and a bit sharp. I was covering the brake very carefully the first few times I used it. Then I just got used to it. I don't think there is anything wrong with the system - it just doesn't drive in the same way I do. But then again neither does SWMBO...

Having had the combination for six weeks now I have to say I love it, but I've changed my driving style a bit. At high speed, if I see brakes coming on a way ahead of me, I tend to brake manually to take the edge off the speed and use engine braking, then re-engage the ACC once at more manageable speed (30-40MPH). It reacts much better braking to a halt from those kind of speeds without it feeling like an emergency stop. Once actually in a traffic jam it works brilliantly, pulling you away if it's stopped for only a few seconds or with a dab on the throttle or forward flick of the ACC stalk. Having come from a manual with normal CC I would never go back.

Thanks.  I've always liked ACC but have always felt a little short changed that you don't get the full benefit without DSG as the clutch/gear operation in heavy traffic negates some of the benefits. 

I can understand that Penguin, and as long as I am doing the kind of driving I am doing now, it will be DSG all the way for me. If you've ever driven the M4/M32* in evening rush hour you will know why I was so happy to move from a manual.

* Other dreadful timewasting road interchanges are available

Just for my info, does changing gear not disconnect the ACC on a manual? It used to disconnect the traditional CC I had on the SII (I know they are completely different systems). 

2 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

I can understand that Penguin, and as long as I am doing the kind of driving I am doing now, it will be DSG all the way for me. If you've ever driven the M4/M32* in evening rush hour you will know why I was so happy to move from a manual.

* Other dreadful timewasting road interchanges are available

Just for my info, does changing gear not disconnect the ACC on a manual? It used to disconnect the traditional CC I had on the SII (I know they are completely different systems). 

No, clutch/accelerator operation doesn't disable ACC like it did on previous 'regular' CC equipped VAG cars.  I've only found that the brake, pressing the stalk or an emergency assist intervention kills the ACC. 

No, not had the pleasure of the M4 corridor.  I did have 10 years of A14 commuting which could be very frustrating. 

just b mindful that ACC needs a moving car in front as a reference point to effectively slow down and stop.

If ur driving with ACC on, with no cars in front, and then approach traffic that is already stopped - the car will keep going at speed until it detects a hazard and screams at u to brake!!!

Scary I tell u.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just occasionally, and for no apparent reason (that I have found) the ACC may lose lock with the car ahead at slow speed and try to accelerate - then realise there still is a vehicle ahead and stand on the auto-braking!  I keep my speed set to 20mph and three bars on the distance control in queues just in case!  After 2 1/2 years I still don’t trust the system and my foot is always covering the brake!

Not had this personally, but absolutely agree you should treat all of the assistance systems as exactly that – assistance, not a substitute for driver input and oversight.  One I have noticed (only vary rarely) is that LA will lose sight of the lines. So like Felis I work with it but am always ready to override it (I change the speeds in changing traffic conditions too). 

Back to the OP. Are you thinking about going for DSG Penguin?

ACC with DSG will bring the car to a halt and set off again in traffic, sometimes it needs a little dab on the throttle to get started if it's been stopped for more than a few seconds as mentioned above.

My commute is 50 miles on a dual carriageway and 5 miles across town and the system works well in both cases, except once... I was driving home  with ACC set and came up behind 2 lanes of slower moving traffic (30 mph or so v my 70mph) and ACC totally failed to recognise the traffic ahead. Luckily I was able to brake manually and avoid a collision but it was a very scary moment. I still use ACC, but I've never put my full trust in it since then.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, FelisBengalensis said:

Just occasionally, and for no apparent reason (that I have found) the ACC may lose lock with the car ahead at slow speed and try to accelerate - then realise there still is a vehicle ahead and stand on the auto-braking!  I keep my speed set to 20mph and three bars on the distance control in queues just in case!  After 2 1/2 years I still don’t trust the system and my foot is always covering the brake!

Never experienced that before, sounds like a fault? 

What distance do you set? 

36 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Not had this personally, but absolutely agree you should treat all of the assistance systems as exactly that – assistance, not a substitute for driver input and oversight.  One I have noticed (only vary rarely) is that LA will lose sight of the lines. So like Felis I work with it but am always ready to override it (I change the speeds in changing traffic conditions too). 

Back to the OP. Are you thinking about going for DSG Penguin?

100% agree. It’s an *assistance* system, not a replacement for the driver. 

Well I’m just waiting for the dealer to confirm he’s received my deposit via bank transfer, then I should be 18-20 weeks away from a 280 Sportline :) 

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

100% agree. It’s an *assistance* system, not a replacement for the driver. 

Well I’m just waiting for the dealer to confirm he’s received my deposit via bank transfer, then I should be 18-20 weeks away from a 280 Sportline :) 

Wow! (Note to self: you do 30,000 miles a year. You can't have one... can't have one.. can't have one...)

That's quite some car you've ordered there mate. Enjoy it when it arrives!

(Can't have one... can't have one... can't have one... mutter, mumble)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Wow! (Note to self: you do 30,000 miles a year. You can't have one... can't have one.. can't have one...)

That's quite some car you've ordered there mate. Enjoy it when it arrives!

(Can't have one... can't have one... can't have one... mutter, mumble)

Haha! Thanks. 

I hankered after a Golf R or 280 when I got my current Sportline but doing 20-25k per year meant it wasn’t feasible. I had a Mk2 Octavia vRS 10 years ago and filling that up every 3-4 days got tedious and expensive so I made the switch to diesel.  Got myself a Mk1 Fabia vRS and it was perfect for my needs. 

Shortly after taking delivery of the Sportline we relocated and I now work from home so my mileage has almost halved and short, town journeys are playing havoc with the DPF.  When I do travel for work I now get to expense my mileage so it more than covers the fuel and the slight increase in monthly payments. 

I can’t wait TBH, keep checking for emails from the dealer! 

On 2/16/2018 at 10:49, BriskodaJeff said:

I can understand that Penguin, and as long as I am doing the kind of driving I am doing now, it will be DSG all the way for me. If you've ever driven the M4/M32* in evening rush hour 

Greetings from a fellow sufferer, the ACC and DSG makes it much more palatable.

6 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Never experienced that before, sounds like a fault? 

What distance do you set? 

Normally two bars but in slow or stop/start traffic then up to three.  It only happens very rarely and could be to do with radar reflectivity from the car ahead (angles affect these systems in the same way it works for stealth aircraft), or what the ‘target’ is made of.  75GHz radar systems, as with a lot of radio propagation, can be a bit of a dark art!

No one mentions the different settings of the ACC?

You can set the distance yes - but you can also set the preferred behaviour with "drive mode selection" (maybe not available in all cars).

When choosing "individual" you get the options of setting ACC to - ECO / Normal / Sport.

In ECO setting (my car as reference) it instantly let's the throttle of if it detects slower traffic ahead. The when speed picks up it takes about five seconds before it reacts :)

In Normal it waits a little bit longer and uses the brakes more often to slow down, picks upp speed after maybe two seconds.

In Sport (I've only tried once) it brakes very late when coming on to slower traffic and is quite aggressive on the throttle. Didn't like the behaviour at all.

I tend to use ECO as it's the most relaxing setting :)

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:49, BriskodaJeff said:

If you've ever driven the M4/M32* in evening rush hour you will know why I was so happy to move from a manual.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:40, zappahey said:

Greetings from a fellow sufferer, the ACC and DSG makes it much more palatable.

46 minutes ago, Muff said:

I also know that stretch of road too well.

/C.W.McCall voice "Mercy sakes alive - looks like we got us a convoy".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convoy_(song) :biggrin:

Sorry to to change the subject slightly but my ACC (with DSG) played up a bit this morning - going along a motorway with heavy but steady moving traffic at about 45mph in middle lane, ACC decided to suddenly brake hard for no apparent reason - cars either side were doing the same speed as me and car in front was a good distance away and no one had slowed at all. I have to press the accelerator quickly to override it. Not sure what the car behind thought.  Anyone else had this?  I use it regularly in motorway traffic and never had this before.

22 minutes ago, Speedman said:

Sorry to to change the subject slightly but my ACC (with DSG) played up a bit this morning - going along a motorway with heavy but steady moving traffic at about 45mph in middle lane, ACC decided to suddenly brake hard for no apparent reason - cars either side were doing the same speed as me and car in front was a good distance away and no one had slowed at all. I have to press the accelerator quickly to override it. Not sure what the car behind thought.  Anyone else had this?  I use it regularly in motorway traffic and never had this before.

I've had this a few times but on my SEAT Leon and not in the Superb.  It was often when high sided vehicles were alongside and I'm guessing they may have strayed slightly across their lanes and triggered the radar.  Pretty scary when you thing the road ahead is clear and the car slams on the brakes and the dash lights up like a Xmas tree! 

My commute involves Motorway, 50mph A roads and a little town driving.

On the Motorway I find ACC works well, it operates smoothly and with a little anticipation from me, handles overtaking manoeuvres okay too.

However, on the stretch of A roads I use I really don’t like it. It’s quite an undulating road and I feel it braking on the downhill bits and accelerating when going up, it just isn’t as smooth as my right foot.

Overall, when used on the Motorway I do like it but, as others have said, I don’t take it’s braking abilities for granted and I’m always ready to jump on the brake pedal.

Going back to the original question, I’ve found it does bring you to a complete stop but a little nudge on the pedal or the ACC stalk is needed to get going if you are stopped more than a few seconds.

I road tested a Sportline and it’s a very nice car, I’m sure you will love it.

• Thanks 1

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:42, Speedman said:

Not had this one, but I did get one the manual warns you about last night. Right filter lane at a left hand bend. Looked almost exactly the same as fig A. I've driven the road loads of times but I don't think there was ever a car turning right in the filter before. Dash lit up red, but it didn't get a chance to brake as I recognised what was going on and blipped the throttle. As soon as I was past the filter it was normal operation.

image.png.b8ea6fe792ba84fa4317b978c615a76c.png

@Speedman is it possible you were on a bend so the radar was pointing off-centre toward one of the vehicles in the next lane, rather than at the car in front?