Brakes on my Nov 2017 Yeti outdoor SE L DRIVE 2 ltr 150TDI SCR DSG

killy

I have had this a month now and only done 300 miles - The brake pedal feels a bit spongy and when I first set off the brakes do not feel like they want to stop the car.

after using them a bit they seem to improve somewhat but do not feel as good as my other yeti's that i have had and next time i go out they feel rubbish again.

If I put my foot on the pedal and give it a bit of a push it goes almost to the floor.

I took it into a couple of dealers and they say that they are acceptable - anyone with the same car on here? and if so how do you find the brakes?

Edited by killy
mor info

?

What was done at these dealerships, did a master tech inspect the brakes, take the car on a road test and just sign the brakes odd as 'Acceptable'?

Was the car on the diagnostics, the brake fluid checked or anything else done?

How many miles has the car done?

Did they say how much wear there is on the brake pads?

It is unlikely that it has been done but someone might have set the brake assist to less assistance.

If you do not feel the brakes are safe you have a warranty, and those Dealership / employees are a duty of care and corporate responsibility, 

so just go back and be sure a Master Technician is dealing with your concerns & that they are logged on the system and with Skoda UK.

I know this sounds weird, but how does the brake pedal feel with the engine off?  I had new disks fitted on my Defender and then felt that the pedal was spongey.  The garage spent a long time checking things like the master cylinder.  Two staff road tested it and thought it was fine.  The pedal was very firm and could not move more than half an inch with the engine off, but with the engine on, it would, eventually, with a very firm push, go almost to the floor.  Garage said that this is normal.  I could certainly brake well enough when I needed to.

MOT standard of a brake test.

Which is a pretty easy test of braking efficiency. If the Brake balance is OK.

Just think of those Citroen Saxo and the likes that pass a MOT every year.

& am guessing it will be a Demonstrator, 3 months / 3,000 miles old.

Or as some members have been getting a Courtesy car, New Yeti which will be classed as a Ex Management car / Demonstrator.

Nothing is as fast as a Hire Car / Demonstrator or Ex Management car. 

Glazed brake pads as a Standard fit.   Prepared for used sales with An Italian Tune Up!

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Yikes!  Mine was an 'ex-management car'  I'm now convinced that you are right and it was a demonstrator.  But it had 1,000 on the clock and was £7,000 off list price.  It's in excellent condition and I have no worries so far.

• Like 1

Could even be a hire car, like my wifes turned out to be, but they are normally kept for 6 months. As a 3 month old car it was more likely to be a demonstrator, or a salesmans car.

Brakes on my 150ps 7 month old car at nearly 10k miles are excellent, probably best braked car I have ever owned.

I did have a Skoda Superb, 55 reg which had a brake pedal that would slowly sink to the floor under firm pressure, either with or without the engine running. It did stop well though when required and passed its mot. I always thought it must have slight leakage past a seal on the piston?

Thank you all for your replies.

just to recap  it is was first registered on 28 /12 /2017 that had 10 miles on the clock when I bought it on 15 Jan 2018.

the brakes are at their worst from cold on start up - after applying  a few times they feel a bit better so by the time I get to a dealer or anywhere else they have improved a fair amount.

If they continued improving all would be well but next time I use the car they are back to square one.

at the last dealer I took it to I had driven there then two mechanics test drove it the firs was troubled enough to get a second opinion and they took it in the workshop

and told we there was no air in the system and it passed an MOT brake test - on the way home they felt reasonable .

I just keep having a Groundhog day !

12 hours ago, kelper said:

I know this sounds weird, but how does the brake pedal feel with the engine off?  I had new disks fitted on my Defender and then felt that the pedal was spongey.  The garage spent a long time checking things like the master cylinder.  Two staff road tested it and thought it was fine.  The pedal was very firm and could not move more than half an inch with the engine off, but with the engine on, it would, eventually, with a very firm push, go almost to the floor.  Garage said that this is normal.  I could certainly brake well enough when I needed to.

Thanks

with the engine of and the vac gone the pedal has no initial travel an is pretty solid  but still can be pressed another 3/4 inch with firm pressure

with the engine running the pedal will go almost to the floor fairly rapidly - I have noticed the pedal dropping on other cars that I have owned but nothing as dramatic as this one.

I had my brake pedal "go to the floor"on a long swooping road in Wales, I pumped steadily

and the braking improved. I stopped and looked at wheels and pipes for signs of fluid loss,

there were none and setting off again the brakes were fine. I took the car into the dealer and

they found "there was a little air in the system" this was after they had found a "spongy seal" on

one of the brake calipers and changed it when I had a similar problem on the new car.

The car was then around 5 months old.

Edited by gumdrop
additional info, i.e. age of the car

Funny you mention that when I had my first test drive in a Yeti, the garage supplied a brand new 2 litre diesel in basic spec, it had literally only ten miles on the clock. Driving that around Glasgow on the M8 and some local roads near the garage, I noticed that the brakes were not very good at all and needed a very firm foot on the pedal but thought at the time that it might just be because the car was brand new and maybe the brakes would have improved with a few more miles on the clock. But when I got my own Yeti in March last year the brakes were perfect right from the start, again with delivery miles, although this time around it was 40 miles, I think they might have been doing a few test drives in it before they gave it to me!

27 minutes ago, AllanDJ said:

Funny you mention that when I had my first test drive in a Yeti, the garage supplied a brand new 2 litre diesel in basic spec, it had literally only ten miles on the clock. Driving that around Glasgow on the M8 and some local roads near the garage, I noticed that the brakes were not very good at all and needed a very firm foot on the pedal but thought at the time that it might just be because the car was brand new and maybe the brakes would have improved with a few more miles on the clock. But when I got my own Yeti in March last year the brakes were perfect right from the start, again with delivery miles, although this time around it was 40 miles, I think they might have been doing a few test drives in it before they gave it to me!

Thanks Allan

There may be a difference between the new petrol and the diesel models.

This is my 7th 2ltr diesel yeti and that is what I am comparing it to - what is annoying me most is that they improve as I drive it but the next time I go out they feel rubbish for the first mile or so.

I know I can adjust my driving to compensate and leave a bigger stopping distance but if some one were to stop suddenly or pull out on me I could be in trouble !

I will have to leave it overnight at a dealer ans see what happens.

40 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

I had my brake pedal "go to the floor"on a long swooping road in Wales, I pumped steadily

and the braking improved. I stopped and looked at wheels and pipes for signs of fluid loss,

there were none and setting off again the brakes were fine. I took the car into the dealer and

they found "there was a little air in the system" this was after they had found a "spongy seal" on

one of the brake calipers and changed it when I had a similar problem on the new car.

The car was then around 5 months old.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

So a 300 mile new car.   The owners manual about 'driving in'  running in,  is not just engines.   Cars tyres, suspension and brakes are all new

Brakes especially,  coated discs,  new pads, tight brake cables even,   so brakes need used,  newness off them.  If any chance of grease,  brake disc cleaner used,  which when brake performance was questioned a technician could action or tell the driver / owner.

Edited by AwaoffSki

50 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

So a 300 mile new car.   The owners manual about 'driving in'  running in,  is not just engines.   Cars tyres, suspension and brakes are all new

Brakes especially,  coated discs,  new pads, tight brake cables even,   so brakes need used,  newness off them.  If any chance of grease,  brake disc cleaner used,  which when brake performance was questioned a technician could action or tell the driver / owner.

Extract from manual

New brake pads
New brake pads have to first “grind in” because these do not initially have the
best possible braking effect.
Therefore, drive especially carefully for the first 200 km or so.

I have previously posted that I had a similar experience. With me the pedal was firm but retardation reduced. It cleared within a 4-500 yards (old school) with repeated applications. This happened on a few occasions from cold (sub-zero temps.) but has been O.K. recently.

Most brake pedals will  go a long way with consistent force being applied at rest. However, in driving conditions your nose would be across the windscreen :biggrin:.

Have not resolved the situation but am seriously tempted to fit bigger discs as I definitely think the brakes (including my previous diesel Yeti) are only average. On the other hand the brakes on my Wife's Citigo are exemplary.

Bill :)

15 hours ago, lawnmowerman said:

I have previously posted that I had a similar experience. With me the pedal was firm but retardation reduced. It cleared within a 4-500 yards (old school) with repeated applications. This happened on a few occasions from cold (sub-zero temps.) but has been O.K. recently.

Most brake pedals will  go a long way with consistent force being applied at rest. However, in driving conditions your nose would be across the windscreen :biggrin:.

Have not resolved the situation but am seriously tempted to fit bigger discs as I definitely think the brakes (including my previous diesel Yeti) are only average. On the other hand the brakes on my Wife's Citigo are exemplary.

Bill :)

Thanks

Guest FurryFriend

I'll put this in just as a maybe. 

A customer brought a 3 year old car in to me before I retired. Same symptoms. After hours of head scratching, it turned out that the brake servo hose had collapsed internally. When we cut it open, the inner wall was completely flat. 

So no fluid loss, but the pipe itself was clearly defective manufacture. 

Maybe.... Or a collapsed or damaged brake hose to caliper? 

But a brake pedal going anywhere near the floor is absolutely not normal, and my advice would be to get this thoroughly investigated. I certainly would not be driving it like that. 

As anyone in any form of diagnostic trade will know. NEVER assume that a brand  new part can't be faulty. And never assume that because a part 'looks right' it is. 

Edited by FurryFriend