OEM gear console switches for dash cam

TerryC

I am finally going to tidy up my dash cam install when I fit a rear camera to my combi to compliment the front one.

I propose to take a 12v "always live" feed via a voltage sensing relay (set at about 11.7V in case I forget to switch them off !) to power the cameras and switch.

I would like to use one of the blanked out switch positions around the gear console but these don't look like a "standard' size.

Would anyone know the parts numbers for these switches or, indeed, a non VAG switch that fits instead.

Any help much appreciated

TC

Just fit it with these  Eborn from Amazon and forget about the switch
got them fitted to all my cars and no flat battery even in the coldest of weather sitting for 4 days

71LfbkPKogL._SY88.jpg

Edited by DEL80Y

7 hours ago, DEL80Y said:

Just fit it with these  Eborn from Amazon and forget about the switch
got them fitted to all my cars and no flat battery even in the coldest of weather sitting for 4 days

71LfbkPKogL._SY88.jpg

Thanks for the link, unless I am mistaken this powers only one camera and I will have two.

I could buy two I guess but the circuit I am designing has two 3A supplies (most of the bits already ordered). If I struggle to find nice switches I will fall back on 315 MHz remote relay switch and miniature key fob.

Thanks for your reply

TC

I use a PCT Volton split relay ZR1220 to feed my Coolbox in the boot. Turns off about 15 secs after the engine is turned off. cable-tied up to the top of the side compartment in my twin-door boot. 

This could also be used to feed a rear mounted camera ,  infact looking at it tonight it's easy to find a cable route to the front as well

Anything with a manual switch - you will forget

P1000375.JPG

P1000800.JPG

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, williamshatnerspants said:

Is the reason for keeping it live so the camera can operate in a surveillance mode when the car is unattended?

My camera unit has both front and rear cameras with parking mode enabled which has helped last week when someone left a note on my wifes Merc saying" Vauxhall Corsa CS54*** has hit your car" 
Sd card out of camera and look in the parking file and there's a wee 30 second clip with a blue Corsa CS54***  with reverse lights on hitting the front bumper of our car..
Now awaiting insurance details....

• Like 3

DEL8OY hit the nail on the head Captain Kirk,  parking in supermarkets, multistory car parks or even on the street gives you a chance of some recourse if you are hit.

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2018 at 10:23, TerryC said:

I am finally going to tidy up my dash cam install when I fit a rear camera to my combi to compliment the front one.

I propose to take a 12v "always live" feed via a voltage sensing relay (set at about 11.7V in case I forget to switch them off !) to power the cameras and switch.

What would be the purpose of this 11.7 V switchpoint?

• If you want to use the camera during parking surveillance, so the relay is for battery protection, than 11.7 V is way too low in the summer. Than there is only about 115% battery capacity left, see this picture:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=8822&d=14081
    I would suggest to set the voltage to about 12.1 Volt, which also gives you at least some backup capacity in summer temperatures.
  • If you want to use the relay to switch off together with the ignition, than something like 13 Volts would be a better setting.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DEL80Y said:

My camera unit has both front and rear cameras with parking mode enabled which has helped last week when someone left a note on my wifes Merc saying" Vauxhall Corsa CS54*** has hit your car" 
Sd card out of camera and look in the parking file and there's a wee 30 second clip with a blue Corsa CS54***  with reverse lights on hitting the front bumper of our car..

What camera have you got Delboy and is it any good? I’m looking at dash and at the moment and would prefer either a single or linked front and rear cameras rather than just having 2 separate cameras. 

2 hours ago, andrehj said:

What would be the purpose of this 11.7 V switchpoint?

• If you want to use the camera during parking surveillance, so the relay is for battery protection, than 11.7 V is way too low in the summer. Than there is only about 115% battery capacity left, see this picture:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=8822&d=14081
    I would suggest to set the voltage to about 12.1 Volt, which also gives you at least some backup capacity in summer temperatures.
  • If you want to use the relay to switch off together with the ignition, than something like 13 Volts would be a better setting.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0OkcZptKYQq8MMnWUwmq

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The table I inserted is from  a Yeti but it has a same sized battery. My original "11.7V" was a guess but as the voltage cut off relay is programmable I think I will follow your advice and set it at 12.1V

TC

I agree. Your table doesn't take the temperature influence into account, which makes it in my opinion not very usefull, since temperature plays a very large factor.

Question: You write " The table I inserted ", but where did you insert this table? I do not see it anywhere else in the topic.

6 hours ago, HughGabriel said:

What camera have you got Delboy and is it any good? I’m looking at dash and at the moment and would prefer either a single or linked front and rear cameras rather than just having 2 separate cameras. 

Cheap B40Ds from Gearbest but they work well especially for the  £33 I paid for them:cool:

• Like 1

On 20/02/2018 at 23:33, DEL80Y said:

curious: if your camera has a g-sensor, did it go off and lock the relevant file? Is that what you mean by parking file?

Edited by snowathlete

• 2 weeks later...

My cameras are off only when my car is parked at the back of my house :) otherwise on.

Few times forgot to turn it off for the night - so at least 12h on the battery - and no problems starting the car.