Recommend me some headphones

Gaz

I'm thinking of getting some new headphones.  I've Sennheiser CX300 ii in ear headphones at the moment, but despite the good sound quality they don't block out ambient noise (mostly the telly) as well as I'd want.  If I turn them up loud enough so I don't hear the telly, then it's an irritating noise to people watching telly.

Any suggestions for good headphones (don't mind what type) which I can have up loud without bothering others, and that'll keep outside noise out?

Ta very muchly.

Gaz

As good as the Bose are, it would irk me that Curry's/PC World were selling them (or similar spec) for half price during Pink With Tartan Spots Thursday last year. 

I have these, used them in a busy office environment and on several plane journeys. Possibly not as good as the Bose, but at less than 1/6th of the price, got to be worth a punt. 

https://www.richersounds.com/goldring-on-ear-closed-back-noise-cancelling-headphones.html

I have a set of Sony ZX310’s. £30 Argos jobbies. Not strictly noise cancelling but does block out a whining wifey. 

plenty loud enough for me only downside is no inline remote or volume control  

• Like 1

I got (with big discounts) a set of Bose Soundtrue headphones which are wonderfully comfortable and sound great. I don't think they make them any more but I'd cough for another pair of Bose to wear. I wear them for hours at work and although they are not sound cancelling they do block out most ambient sounds without having music screaming. I think I paid about £80

I've also got a pair of noise cancelling B&O Beoplay H3 ANC headphones I wear on the train. Again very comfortable and the noise cancelling does work. Same as the Bose I think I paid about £80

They're expensive headphones to me but I've wasted lots on numerous cheaper sets.

• Like 2

BTW active noise blocking won't do much for the telly. It doesn't work (maybe by design) to block out voices, it blocks steady static like noises mostly i.e. the rumble of the train or jet engines.

For you a decent set of around-ear headphones would work just as well without being so expensive.

• Thanks 1

On 18/02/2018 at 10:47, SWBoy said:

I have a pair of QC35's and they're renowned for their active sound cancelling. Whether it's for travelling or drowning out noise in the house when working they work flawlessly and are very comfortable. My desk is less than a meter adjacent to my TV and can't hear a thing from it . 

However having tried a pair of Sennheiser PXC550's I would seriously consider these if I didn't already have the Bose set. 

Either way active noise cancelling is the best option IMO.  

Edited by JohnRS
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2018 at 15:26, Fin69 said:

As good as the Bose are, it would irk me that Curry's/PC World were selling them (or similar spec) for half price during Pink With Tartan Spots Thursday last year. 

I have these, used them in a busy office environment and on several plane journeys. Possibly not as good as the Bose, but at less than 1/6th of the price, got to be worth a punt. 

https://www.richersounds.com/goldring-on-ear-closed-back-noise-cancelling-headphones.html

I have these also. They're very good. 

10 hours ago, JohnRS said:

I have a pair of QC35's and they're renowned for their active sound cancelling. Whether it's for travelling or drowning out noise in the house when working they work flawlessly and are very comfortable. My desk is less than a meter adjacent to my TV and can't hear a thing from it . 

However having tried a pair of Sennheiser PXC550's I would seriously consider these if I didn't already have the Bose set. 

Either way active noise cancelling is the best option IMO.  

If you have a Bose Outlet near you it's worth checking what offers they have, I saved nearly 50% on the set I bought from the Bose Outlet in Portsmouth.

If you have a Nectar card you can get a set of Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 over ear headphones for £144.99 instead of £200+ as long as you spend 500 Nectar points, I believe the offer expires on 28 Feb 18.  John Lewis have them for £199.00.