What car audio are You using?

szamo

Hi all,

I bought MY11 Octavia Estate 2.0 TDI Elegance a week ago and I can't get used to with the Bolero radio and steering wheel without multifunction.

As long I can manage without buttons on the steering wheel I'm looking forward to buy another radio. Searched through ebay and google and obviously there is a lot to choose from. I don't fancy to spend 400quid for Columbus or 900 for Kenwood DNX516DABS, but I was thinking about one of those android ones from ebay.

For me must have is Bluetooth which I can easily pick up the call from touch screen, DAB is not a must but it could be quite nice to have it, sat nav I don't care at all as have full Sygic on my mobile.

Another must have is compatibility with my parking sensors.

What are You using? Does it's take long to fit it with all DAB and (if there is) sat nav antennas, what about fitting mic for bluetooth?

I personaly would stay clear of the cheap ebay specials. There is a reason they are cheap and packed with features.

People like Pioneer and Alpine make android headunits to take a look into those.

You will need the correct instalation kit for the type of unit you choose. You will need mouting brackets, cabling, facia. I wont lie, changing a headunit in a modern car is NOT a cheap process. To fit a single din pioneer into my mk2 pfl it cost around £80 in cabling, facia, adaptor units etc

3 hours ago, ryan-re said:

You will need the correct instalation kit for the type of unit you choose. You will need mouting brackets, cabling, facia. I wont lie, changing a headunit in a modern car is NOT a cheap process. To fit a single din pioneer into my mk2 pfl it cost around £80 in cabling, facia, adaptor units etc

So You wouldn't recommend this sort of type of stereo?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-SAT-NAV-ANDROID-RNS510-TYPE-WIFI-DAB-READY-SUPERB-RAPID-FABIA-YETI-OCTAVIA/222740827125?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3Dda2ce69621844661b73b177c1b17f13f%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D112254638236%26itm%3D222740827125&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

Hi, Just thought i would add my experience to this thread.  I recently (maybe 6-8 months ago) swapped my bolero in my vrs fl to a Wince DS820 by audiosources.  You can find a massive thread in the mk2 forum. 

This was a direct replacement and went straight in no fuss and looks totally factory fit.  I did spend another £25 ish on buying a proper vag mic and loom and mounting it in the factory position within the interior light unit.  This also just connected straight into the new HU.  The Bluetooth hands free with on screen phone book was my main reason for buying the unit.  I use the phone a lot when in the car for work.  This seems to work well.   

This unit may be a bit older now and i am unsure if its still available.  However, it works with my front and rear parking sensors, aircon display etc.  It has crashed probably 5 times since its been installed, ignition off and back on job to get it going again.  When it crashes you still get music but no display.  Also if you put the car into reverse too quickly and it hasn't booted, you will just get one line of Chinese text on the display.  Plays dvds, has built in sygic although slow to load works really well.  

No facia adaptor or anything required.  Just the vag mic if you wanted proper factory hands free. 

Now i have a proper subwoofer output i have also just added an amp and small alpine sub in the boot to take advantage.  Plus the bass output didn't seem as good on this unit as the Bolero. 

Hope that helps a little. 

Thanks 

On 18/02/2018 at 20:47, szamo said:

I wouldnt no.
That is not, as it states, a RNS510. So the advert lies from the off. Not a great start eh?
The unit mentioned above is found in this thread

Reading the thread. There are a lot of people reporting issues which you get most of these cheap, poorly built copies. I personaly would never buy one and if I wanted android would always go for a trusted brand like pioneer and alpine who both make "oem" replacement headunits aswell as andriod etc

ryan-re well it states it's RNS510 type, and I decided to give it a go, we will see. I can't afford anything from brands like Kenwood, Alpine or other top brands. I might regret my choice but hey ho.

I was wondering where normally You guys would wire the GPS and DAB antennas. Any tips for that?

• 6 months later...

Has anyone had experience of Xtrons units? Specifically the PS76MTV? Looks like a good unit and not exactly cheap. Would love to get a Colombus unit but they are rather expenaive compared to aftermarket ones given all the features available on aftermarket units and quality of the screen.