Front Subframe Corrosion, How Common Is This?

As per the title :dry:

I'm currently on the hunt for a clean Mk1 Octy estate and after about a month of looking (I'm picky, have lots of time and I'm prepared to wait an indefinite amount of time for the 'right' one) something that seems to be cropping up is subframe corrosion :dull: I've been horrified to find a handfull for cars have actually had it to the point that MOT failures have resulted, here's an example on sale at present...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/skoda/skoda-octavia-elegance-estate-130/1287500793

Having owned, worked on (And still own) Mk4 Golfs for years I'd decided given the Octavias are slightly bigger and I need an estate I'd give one a go but I have to say this issue is putting me off slightly!

This isn't something I've heard of in the Mk4 VW format, ever, so I'm slightly put out to see this cropping up on the Octy's! I've found three cars with MOT failure for this in the month or so I've been looking :(

My question is simple, how common is it? Why are Octavias doing this whilst Golfs and other Mk4 platform cars aren't (Or at  least not that I can find any evidence of)

Thanks in advance chaps....

6 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

This isn't something I've heard of in the Mk4 VW format, ever, so I'm slightly put out to see this cropping up on the Octy's! I've found three cars with MOT failure for this in the month or so I've been looking :(

My question is simple, how common is it? Why are Octavias doing this whilst Golfs and other Mk4 platform cars aren't (Or at  least not that I can find any evidence of)

Thanks in advance chaps....

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/370042-got-a-shock-at-mot-subframe-needs-replaced-big-job/

I think the Golf mkIV is the same but possibly escapes rust more as the Golf was more likely to have initially been fitted with a plastic undertray (my Octavia wasn't from new)

They are pressed steel and not really rustproofed so do rust - but they are made out of thick metal. Look out for a reasonable one and spend a few hours rustproofing.

My 2001 Octavia has surface rust on the subframe but it's still v strong. I've also sprayed with Dinitrol. Oh and it has just passed it's MOT

Edited by bigjohn

I’m presuming your on about front subframes? As I can’t  say I’ve heard of front subframe corrosion that bad to fail an mot. Rear axles are prone to excessive amounts of corrosion and have seen a few fail on those. 

Thanks to all who chimed in on this :)

I too thought this was something that just didn't happen, but having seen three cars with MOT fails for this in the last month I was slightly taken aback...

Perhaps given the age these car's are at now this is something we're going to see more and hear more of in years to come? It's certainly an area I'll be looking at closely on any I go to view :dull:

That’s from reading a thread when only just coming around from overnight meds. Only trying to help others out, but if the helps not appreciated then I’ll stop commenting. The Mk4 Golf tends to run a full undertray though iirc, whereas the Mk1 Octavia on runs the full tray in tdi models. Perhaps this has a bearing on what your seeing. Still as stated before I’ve never seen one that bad for failing an mot on. 

2 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@00000000000000 - I didn't know that petrol Golf IVs had a full undertray as standard, so you have added something to the discussion.

^They didn't, or at least 1.4/1.6 models of Mk4 didn't.

Worth mentioning that all three Mk1's I found with MOT fails past and present (Looking through MOT history online of prospective cars) were TDi and would/should have come with undertrays from the factory.

As mentioned, I've come to the conclusion that this is an age thing rather than an undertray vs no undertray issue. I've only found this after looking at the history of tens of cars online.... As mentioned the youngest Mk1's are 14 (?) years old now so perhaps where as this wasn't a problem in the past it's now stating to become a niggle?

Certainly something to be wary of when looking at prospective cars either way!

Just to throw an alternative into the mix. An undertray can actually make corrosion worse in certain situations. Early Zafira's, Astra's and Corsa D's are suffering with sever subframe corrosion, even to the extent of the lower arms detaching. The reason? They have a foam type layer on them, which traps water against the frame, accelerating the rust. Undertrays are only really there to improve air flow under the car, but can cause more problems than they are worth.

Mine is a 2002 tdi with full undertray and has no significant signs of corrosion on it (no oil leaks either I might add). Two local Mk1 owners to me both have vRS’s and only front undertray and also no significant signs of corrosion (also no oil leaks). All three are very well maintained and cleaned on a regular basis with jet washes. Perhaps the ones you’ve looked at have come from high road salt areas in wintertime and not cleaned off? I wouldn’t let it put you off buying one as you can get subframes cheap these days and uprated Cupra R ones that you can clean and rust prevent and paint before fitting. That’s what I’ve done only for better handling. 

135295AC-5637-49AD-80B3-DF11A97950F6.jpeg

On 2/21/2018 at 15:33, JoeyEunos said:

^They didn't, or at least 1.4/1.6 models of Mk4 didn't.

A frient of mine had a 51 plate 1.4 Golf that had an undertray at the front, where as my 2001 Octavia 1.4 didn't ( the diesels did)

Edited by bigjohn

I have literally just joined the forum to ask about this very problem.

I've just bought a cheap work horse that has terrible front subframe corrosion and will certainly fail it's next MOT because of it.

It's surprised me as the body work of the car is almost spotless and it's only done 76,000 miles.

It doesn't look like a hugely difficult job to replace and good solid ones can be found on ebay pretty easily.

I'll attach a picture of the horror show that is mine now.

IMG_20180224_124737.jpg