Spare bulb kits

Fatso

I'm planning to take my car to Europe for a holiday at some point. I've been looking for the things I'll need to meet the legal requirements in the other countries I'll be driving in and am having a bit of trouble with the bulb kits which all seem to be for halogen bulbs.

As my Superb has Xenons, and LEDs at the back, is there a specific spare bulb kit I can buy?

Any other hints and tips for taking my car abroad are welcome.

If you go on the AA's or RAC's website, they offer travel advice for each European country. Halford's, Amazon or eBay can keep you legal. A warning triangle, first aid kit, 2 x breathalyzers for France, a day-glo safety vest for each passenger kept within the passenger area, a GB sticker if not already on your plate are the ones I can remember off the top of my head, dunno what I've forgotten.

Some countries require a road tax sticker for using motorways (Austria, Switzerland).

The bulb kits don't offer Xenon replacements, as they're about £100 each and are not expected to burn out for 5(?) years. Just buy a generic replacement kit for your car model and that will cover the legal requirement.

Have a nice trip! :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, freelunch said:

I just applied for my German emission control sticker (Berlin €6).

Exactly where I obtained my first one for my Mk.II TDI, €1 for p&p.

For my 280 I popped into the local TüV centre with my V5 and €5 but the young lad struggled to find the model on the computer until the older assistant said "Don't bother looking, just give him a green one. It's a brand new car."

On the subject of hints and tips another item has come to mind for Germany - the parking clock.

Unknown-1.jpeg.524269d9c0e1d3b19368da5a3a5a179e.jpeg

Most time-restricted free car parks require this. You set it to show your time of arrival and place it in your windscreen.

These are available in any petrol station but there are also nefarious battery-powered versions that keep the clock running. :devil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the tips. I knew about the safety kit and stuff as I'm an RAC member and have had a look at their site.

@freelunch I didn't know I'd need a sticker to use Austrian motorways and that's one of my destinations, so thanks for that.

@BillyJim Thanks for that, very informative.

Are the low emissions sticker only valid in each city, or are they a national scheme? 

The parking time card's not really applicable to me as I have a disabled blue badge which is valid throughout the EU, subject to local regulations of course. (The nefarious battery-powered version sounds interesting though... :devil: )

2 hours ago, Fatso said:

1: Are the low emissions sticker only valid in each city, or are they a national scheme?

2: (The nefarious battery-powered version sounds interesting though... :devil: )

1: National.

2: eBay.

18 hours ago, Fatso said:

@freelunch I didn't know I'd need a sticker to use Austrian motorways and that's one of my destinations, so thanks for that.

Austria also charges a toll for using some of its longer tunnels, though these are charged in toll booths as you use the tunnels.

BillyJim has given a very comprehensive answer that covers most points already.  I made my first trip abroad by car in 1971 when I drove to Switzerland and I have seen many charges to the rules and regulations since then.  As far as carrying spare bulbs, I take with me any I can find in the garage to show if I'm ever stopped, but so far nobody has ever checked this.

A few extra points are:-

• In Germany, check very carefully before you pull into the left-hand lane on a motorway in Germany as some cars can be coming up behind you at 150 mph or even more and they can be closing in very quickly if you're pulling out to pass a truck and you're going at 70-80 mph.
  • Even if I've got Škoda's 3 year warranty, I take out additional cover that's not covered in the manufacturer's warranty.  For instance, SWMBO doesn't drive, so I make sure I've got cover if I'm suddenly unable to drive ie I break my arm or my leg.  Also, I make sure we can get help in the event of an accident that your standard insurance policy won't cover you for.  It may be a bit belt and braces, but I feel happier to have it.
  • Germany is proposing to charge a toll on its motorways from 2019, so this may be the last year they will be free.
  • Although SWMBO doesn't drive, I always get her to carry a spare key for the car in case I lose mine or it stops working.  It would be very expensive if you lost your key and the spare one was still at home.
Edited by Penpusher

Like Billyjim, I carry a couple of old bulb kits, which get moved from one car to another. 

Also, I always keep a few packs of paracetamol, ibuprofen and rennies in the centre armrest cubby, whether home or away. 

I did purchase a couple of French breathalysers, a few years back, but when they expired, I didn't bother to replace them. I did get brethalysed in France a couple of years ago, and the gendarme didn't ask if I had any. 

11 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

....I did purchase a couple of French breathalysers, a few years back, but when they expired, I didn't bother to replace them......

I also bought a couple of the French breathalysers a few years ago and I tried them after a couple of beers after they expired, but they didn't seem to do anything!

Breathalyser is not a legal requirement, bulb kit are an impossibility on most modern cars, you wouldn't carry a rear light unit with LEDs or a front headlight Xenon kit.

The French air sticker thing is only around £4 from the official site so go there.

You may need a German one as well depending on the city. Again go to the official site. Be aware of scam sites.

Hi vis vest must be in the car and it makes sense too. First aid kit wants to be accessible. Triangle and how to use it , I have two.

V5 and insurance documents.

Select right hand traffic for your headlamps.

38 minutes ago, vfrvrs said:

The French air sticker thing is only around £4 from the official site so go there.

You may need a German one as well depending on the city. Again go to the official site. Be aware of scam sites.

Hi vis vest must be in the car and it makes sense too. First aid kit wants to be accessible. Triangle and how to use it , I have two.

German umvelt sticker site (genuine site - I've used it twice)

https://www.berlin.de/labo/mobilitaet/kfz-zulassung/feinstaubplakette/shop.86595.en.php

French air quality certificate site - I've used this as well

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

Re Hi vis - best to have one in the car for every person 

Be careful re Satnavs - especially older ones. You are allowed to have "zone de danger" but not specific locations of satnavs. This is now a serious offence so be careful. Turning off speed camera updates is not enough - you'll get done for just having them on your device. Most newer satnavs have "zone de danger"

Also - some countries do NOT allow dash cams due to their data protection laws (I think France is OK)

[EDIT]  Illegal in Austria and Luxembourg, also a bit of a nono in Germany and Switzerland

Edited by bigjohn
  • Thanks 1

On 20 February 2018 at 22:18, dg360 said:

In some French cities you'll need a Crit’Air sticker.  Otherwise you may get a fine.

<link now changed>

BEWARE the above link points to the more expensive site that have a much higher fee (in a similar way some web sites charge for the EHIC cards!). It does have some useful information though.

I've used the links on my previous post before and they are pretty cheap and point to English language sites

Edited by john999boy
Quoted hyperlink removed so as not to cause confusion
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

BEWARE the above link points to the more expensive site that have a much higher fee (in a similar way some web sites charge for the EHIC cards!)

I've used the links on my previous post before and they are pretty cheap and point to English language sites

Thanks John

I can't edit my post now but I've reported it to the admin elves in the hope that they can update it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dg360 said:

Thanks John

I can't edit my post now but I've reported it to the admin elves in the hope that they can update it.

Cheers, I've edited the copy on my post so it wont work as well

If you sign up to Freedom you can edit previous posts & post photos (&sell stuff)

Edited by bigjohn