Trading down?

I currently drive a superb 2.0 SE 16 plate. The lease runs out soon and while I'd like another, there's no deals available at anywhere like what I'd like to pay but there are a few very affordable Octavias with a similar-sized engine. I do about 10k miles a year, less than quarter of that is motorway or long distance and there's only the two of us so size isn't really an issue. Would it feel like driving a shoebox after what I'm used to or does the difference make no matter? I'd appreciate the thoughts of anyone who's been in a similar position. 

@davejay  What sort of monthly / up front are you looking for if you don’t mind me asking? I mean there’s SO much choice out there...

Are you wanting to stay with VAG particularly? Plenty of options available if you want to downsize a bit. I never particularly thought the Octavia felt like a big car to drive really. 

One thjng is certain, based on your mileage and journey types, your next car should definitely be a petrol. 

Having driven Skodas as big as the Kodiaq/Superb, down to a Fabia, it doesn't feel that bad in my opinion.

If you want relative comfort, I wouldn't go any smaller than a Rapid/Rapid Spaceback.  If you do mainly short journeys, then you could consider a Fabia sized vehicle.

Theres CarWow, DriveTheDeal, and LingsCars that do pretty good deals.  I've never used any but heard good things about all of them.

Best thing to do - is test drive as many as possible :) That's the only sure fire way of knowing if you can live with it for 2-4 years (depending how long a lease you want)

Quite honestly it is all so subjective I wonder why people ask these types of questions when they can go sit in one themselves.

It also depends on how big a person you are in terms of height/weight/proportional ratios/etc.

I'm 178cm and 68kg so I consider almost everything is of a reasonable size, someone 50% heavier would have different opinions to me.

We have an Octavia mk3 and our other car is an old diminutive 2003 Toyota Echo (Yaris?), yet the Echo provides more front seating space and is less claustrophobic than the Octavia because it provides more headroom and the parcel shelf is further away. Rear seats are a different situation entirely.

I think size is unlikely to be the issue with the Octavia but noise and ride qualities might be, compared to Superb.

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I’m trading up in the opposite direction after three years with an Octy SE 1.4 TSi DSG.

Great engine & gearbox combination and the Octavia is remarkably spacious, but...there is a significant difference between the two in ride and refinement. The Superb uses the same platform as the Passat, which has independent rear suspension, mainstream versions of the Octavia use the Golf-level platform, which has non-independent torsion beam rear suspension.

Some people are perfectly happy with that, but my experience has been that it’s comparatively noisy & uncomfortable and doesn’t manage the UK’s pothole-ridden roads that well.

If you do go for a mainstream torsion-beam Octavia, don’t go with low profile tyres - they tend to make the ride even more brittle.

All depends on your personal preferences and needs, though. Plenty are very happy with the Octy.

Not sure I’d go with a Rapid, though - pretty noisy & VW’s other brands make better small cars than that.

Edited by MorrisOx
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll be test driving, although there's no test that can match long-term personal experience. I'm thinking about an Octavia because after three Skodas I know a good manufacturer when I see one. 

At the moment I'm paying around £250 a month with three months down on a two year lease. A few weeks ago there were some good deals going but I can't get anywhere near those sort of prices now. In another month or so the situation might have changed but for now I'm still looking round. 

I had the same dilemma as you. I loved my Superb but at 5 yrs it was time to change. I couldn't justify the cost of a new superb but went for a 1.4 TSI Octavia estate. My mileage is similar to yours and at the moment I dont regret the downsize especially given the spec of my Octavia. Yes there is far more room in the back of the superb but if you don't take many passengers does it matter. And yes the Superb is far mor refined and appears to be better built but you tend to get what you pay for. I am pleasantly surprised at the performance of the 1.4 engine. Go for a test drive and see what you think!!