Oil overfilled by dealer

docc

1.2 TSI Yeti serviced recently by main dealer.  Oil level very slightly above the top mark (4mm).  Not right, I know, but quite a hassle to get it back to the dealer. Odd, because I imagine they use a pre-measured amount of oil to avoid waste.

Three options, I suppose:

1  Get it back to the dealer - problematic because of the time and distance.

2  Live with it - I'm guessing that 4mm is within tolerance, though I could be wrong on that.

3  Find a way of removing the excess myself - any suitable devices?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this please.

Edited by docc

I'd probably not worry but if you want to get it out then a cheap oil sucker will draw it up the dip tube no problem. I got one from Amazon for about a tenner.

Thanks, guys.  I think the right answer is not to worry about it, but I like the idea of the cheap oil sucker.  The main problem's the 4mm diameter of the dipstick slot - pretty narrow for most devices.  Which one did you get, edwards - I'd be interested to know.

?

On the Invoice what Quantity of oil were you charged for?

I take it you did you not check the level as the car was collected.

Is the coolant level correct?

Was this check you did a cold dip after the car parked a few hours, 

or as it tells you in the Owners Manual for all engines other than 1.2 44 kW ones that are checked cold.

Was this oil level with the Engine / Engine Oil at the 'Normal  Operating Temperature', so at least above 50*oC after being driven a few miles,

not after sitting ticking over a while,

maybe best nearer 80 *oC, 

then parked on the flat and checked after a few Minutes. (Skoda do not say what a few are, but less than 5 would be a few.)

w960_4095-227.png

Edited by AwaoffSki

11 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

?

Was this a cold dip after the car parked a few hours, 

or as it tells you in the Owners Manual for all engines other than 1.2 44 kW ones that are checked cold.

Was this oil level with the Engine / Engine Oil at Operating Temperature, so at least above 50*oC after being driven a few miles, maybe best nearer 80 *oC, 

then parked on the flat and checked after a few Minutes. (Skoda do not say what a few are, but less than 5 would be a few.)

Cold check on the flat - although the level was much the same when hot (about 4mm above Range A).  I checked the manual, and it was the very clear warning in it that worried me - though I'm reasonably sure that there must be a tolerance, and that 4mm is likely to be within it.

Belt and braces suggests removing a bit of oil via the dipstick hole if I can find a suitable device.

Much the same is not the same.

& when a Dealership does overfill, you do not need to visit them.

The Dealer Principal can send out a Technician or Skoda Assist to correct the Employees error.   

Or pay the customers travel time and a Skoda Workshop Hourly Rate to the customer for their trouble to return so the job can be done properly.

Seeing as the 1.2 TSI early engines have timing chain tensioner issues, and later ones have a few starting to have excessive oil use issues, 

just Email the Dealer Principal if the oil level is too high, then they can record that and rectify that as well.

Belt and braces, and shamed faces.

Drain off or suction off engine oil.doc

Edited by AwaoffSki

Too much oil is as bad (if not worse) for an engine than too little.

You need to get it out to the max level or ideally a bit under that.

I would play merry hell with the dealer over this. This is incompetence of the highest order - suggesting they either didn't fully drain your oil before refilling with a metered amount, or the person who refilled it is an idiot.

They need to come out to you and sort it out or pay you for your time to get it to them and also warrant the engine from any damage cased by overfilled oil.

If you decide to rectify yourself, most oil pumps fit fine down the dipstick tube. I have used the Pela 6000 pump on mine.

• Like 1

Again, thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  I bought a syringe and tubing in the end, just to be on the safe side, and extracted about 200ml via the dipstick hole to get it to the correct level.  The brake fluid level's also above the max, but as this was an 'Inspection with oil change' and the sheet didn't show it as having been topped up I imagine it must have been like that since the fluid change last year.

In my experience over many years overfilling's a common problem with main dealers (VW are just as bad).  I doubt the brake fluid matters too much, but engine oil's another matter.

By the way, 'Inspection with oil change' - that's an odd way to describe a major service costing £279, isn't it?  Does sound remarkably like an oil change with a few quick visual checks!  The more I look into Skoda main dealer servicing the more I feel inclined to go back to the local VW (non-franchised) experts.  Absolutely straight, lower charges, and (I'm guessing here) probably more than capable of dealing with a Yeti.

Still interested in the Oil quantity on the Invoice.  How many litres or part of litres does it show?

What else is on there, did it get an Air Filter, Spark Plugs, Pollen Filter, or was it a Minor £159 Service with no additional parts?

'Because the service schedule decided not due, or the technician never',  so without parts costs the same as when there are parts, 

and the total is the same with the VAT.  Odd that VAT can be the same for Labour / Oil, Filter, Plug as when there 

are Spark Plugs / Air Filter replaced.

First Brake fluid change due at 3 years then every 2. Extra Charge.

Still should be checked, seldom is.

A Major Service can be a right rip off,

A Minor Service now called an INTERIM Service, used to be called an Inspection service at 9,400 miles / 372 days and then Major Service each 2 years / 9,400 miles.

Now it is just what ever when ever and money for all rope.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

Edited by AwaoffSki

7 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Still interested in the Oil quantity on the Invoice.  How many litres or part of litres does it show?

What else is on there, did it get an Air Filter, Spark Plugs, Pollen Filter, or was it a Minor £159 Service with no additional parts?

'Because the service schedule decided not due, or the technician never',  so without parts costs the same as when there are parts, 

and the total is the same with the VAT.  Odd that VAT can be the same for Labour / Oil, Filter, Plug as when there 

are Spark Plugs / Air Filter replaced.

First Brake fluid change due at 3 years then every 2. Extra Charge.

Still should be checked, seldom is.

A Major Service can be a right rip off,

A Minor Service now called an INTERIM Service, used to be called an Inspection service at 9,400 miles / 372 days and then Major Service each 2 years / 9,400 miles.

Now it is just what ever when ever and money for all rope.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

To be fair. The price list for all services for all variants of every model would be pages long. 40 years ago I decided to cost all servicing (with very few exceptions) the same across the board. It meant on some we lost some money and made some on others - relatively speaking.

It gave a clear and concise reply to what the customer wanted to know - how much? (we had it displayed in Reception). We trialled this for almost a year and then gave up. We were only one local dealer and we were out of step with every other local dealer - sometimes in our favour and sometimes in the customer's. Interestingly, just over twenty years ago a customer complained that it cost the same to service his Cosworth as it did his wife's Fiesta (we soon made sure his next service was more in keeping with his expectations - he just couldn't accept it was just another Ford).

For this system to work it needed (as now) to be led by the manufacturer.

I am the worst possible customer for a dealer (an ex-insider) and I hate how much I distrust the current garage services on offer. There seems to be no conscience in the big dealer groups that have swallowed up the market and most independents are starved of genuine technical awareness despite the EU rulings against it.

I am member of the Institute of the Motor Industry (M.I.M.I.) and past director of the Scottish Motor Trade Association and I could not belong to the current practices employed  by the Industry now.

It is a shameful business now. If you have a dealer (or Independent) that you trust and respect then cherish them - they are quite rare.

Bill :angry:

Edited by lawnmowerman
Grammar
  • Like 1

I suspect a failure to drain all the old oil is the problem.......perhaps too much of a rush.

(or they forgot to change the filter)

Edited by Ryeman

Isn't the problem that oil is rarely drained, nowadays it is sucked out through the dip stick hole. That's why the new oil looks blackish right from the start. New oil put in an engine that has had the old oil properly drained through the drain plug looks gold and clean and NOT grey from the start.

17 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Isn't the problem that oil is rarely drained, nowadays it is sucked out through the dip stick hole. That's why the new oil looks blackish right from the start. New oil put in an engine that has had the old oil properly drained through the drain plug looks gold and clean and NOT grey from the start.

I'm sure you're right - though this dealership appears to do it properly.  I say 'appears', because although the sump plug is shown as a chargeable item that doesn't mean a great deal, though the oil was nice and clean.  Likewise the amount of oil shown on the invoice.  I once knew a dealer who said that most of his profit came from the people who created the invoices - not the service engineers!

I suspect that invoices bear little relationship to the reality of the work actually done - too cynical?   In any event, I'm not at all sure that fixed price servicing lends itself too well to itemised invoices - I'm guessing there are a few balancing figures thrown in.

Edited by docc
  • Like 1

Dealers Technicians doing it properly can mean there is a Sump Plug on the Invoice because when the Oil is sucked out the Sump Plug should still be removed, the last oil drained and a new sump plug fitted.

Drain off or suction off engine oil.doc

?

So how much Oil was on the Invoice?

Have you contacted the Dealer Principal, told him or her that they have a an Employee that could be a liability? , 

and cost them or their insurers thousands in a claim, because it is not a Warranty issue if the Dealerships Employees / Training / Supervision causes engine failure.

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

Have you contacted the Dealer Principal, told him or her that they have a an Employee that could be a liability? , 

and cost them or their insurers thousands in a claim, because it is not a Warranty issue if the Dealerships Employees / Training / Supervision causes engine failure.

You have a point there - and I haven't yet decided how to handle it. 

There's always a concern, though, that flagging this up is going to result in some form of reprisal.  Not from the dealership itself, but maybe next time the car goes in for service and/or MOT (it's very easy for a tester to find a fail item).  I get on well with the dealership, I like the people who work there, and the last thing I want is confrontation with people who have my car under their control!

Logically, you're entirely right, but sometimes things aren't as straightforward as they appear to be at first sight............

Basically someone there that did your service is careless or incompetent.

Just let the person in charge know before they make a mistake with Tyre Pressures, Wheel nuts, brakes or similar.

That is the Dealer Principal, not the Service Manager, Workshop Manager or the Master Tech, they might be buddies.