Coolant Temp drops with heater!

wilsy7

Hi all!! Long time no talk!

Still have the wee Fabia for my daily mile eater during the week :)

For the past few weeks I’ve been having an issue with my coolant temp dropping when the heater is switched on full (numbers 2+3+4)  when idling or when stuck in stop start traffic. 

Ive also experienced a loss of MPG of approx 10mpg. They may or may not be related? 

Ive been reading through here about possible suggestions. So far I’ve replaced the thermostat and last night changed the coolant temp sensor. Neither have solved the issue but the car is now heating up quicker and blowing much hotter air which is a positive. I’ve checked the usual suspects, tyres pressures, binding brakes etc and all seems ok. Car last serviced 4K ago and is regularly serviced every 5-8k. 

Ive scanned the car  with VCDS which returns no fault codes. I did notice that the MAF readings aren’t synced and are both out of the ‘range’.

MAF specified: 340mg

range: 230-310

MAF actual: 465mg

range: 210-350

These values are at idle.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Jordan

1F41DEC0-2B9C-4EC4-A2EC-32F6DD7834C6.jpeg

8 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Your MAF may well be knackered, try disco'ing it and see if it still runs the same, failing that have a look at the fuel temperature sensor in the fuel filter housing, they commonly fail as they age and are rarely replaced.

Thanks! Worth a shot at that! 

Are they expensive? I don’t see any listed on euro car parts?

thanks 

10 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Your MAF may well be knackered, try disco'ing it and see if it still runs the same, failing that have a look at the fuel temperature sensor in the fuel filter housing, they commonly fail as they age and are rarely replaced.

Unplugging the MAF strangely makes no difference to how the car drives? 

It drives perfectly apartly from the issues I mentioned in the first post! 

"the past few weeks I’ve been having an issue with my coolant temp dropping when the heater is switched on full (numbers 2+3+4)  when idling or when stuck in stop start traffic."

Well i just got same problem whit my ASZ engine too i   bought new Wahler  4264.87D   termostat and that fix my problem. Place was  litell pit tricky but this you tube vid give some information if you wanna chage it you self.

18 hours ago, Fobba said:

"the past few weeks I’ve been having an issue with my coolant temp dropping when the heater is switched on full (numbers 2+3+4)  when idling or when stuck in stop start traffic."

Well i just got same problem whit my ASZ engine too i   bought new Wahler  4264.87D   termostat and that fix my problem. Place was  litell pit tricky but this you tube vid give some information if you wanna chage it you self.

Hi,

thanks!

I’ve already swapped the stat out for a new one!?

any other ideas? 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...