Climatronic

Hi all

I'm new to the forum, and just bought my first car on Monday (a Skoda Fabia Combi), so have a bit of a stupid question regarding the climate control.

My understanding of how climate control works is that when it is set on Auto mode, it will keep what ever temperature I have set it to.

So if I want to have 20c all year round, then it would automatically circulate warm air if it was below 20c, and cold air if it is above 20c.

So, what exactly is the need for the AC button on the Climatronic? When would I ever need it?

Probably a stupid question, and I'm sure there's a good reason for it :-)

Thanks in advance

The A/C button allows you to turn off the air conditioning.    

A/C helps with demisting in winter, it cools in summer, and is best left on all the time.

Some people never use the button. 

The only time I have turned it off is climbing on a mountain road as it stops some of the engine power being diverted. 

We have had the Auto button in 4 cars now fitted with Climate Control and in each car (4 different brands) its a total waste of time.

What is basically does is decide where it thinks you need the airflow and what speed it thinks you need the fan on.

I know this may appear an extreme thought but having a brain I am quite capable of deciding on flow direction and fan speed myself, don't need the car to do that.

In every car we have used climate the same. We decide the temp, fan speed and direction. In summer we have the A/C on, in winter mostly off.

Used that way its brilliant, way better than simple Air Con.

When the A/C is not disabled by low ambient temperatures i have it on to try to keep the interior drier so that when the overnight or even day time temps drop to freezing and lower there is less chance of ice inside the glass when getting back in the car.

Being doing that for years now with cars with Climatronic. 

The A/C is left on by me even when the heater is turned up high for warmth.

Also i use the A/C button to disable stop / start sometimes, it is handier than the Stop / Start button on many different cars, 

usually easier to spot in an unfamiliar vehicle.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Leave it on and have a simple life. Intervene and control the system yoursel, if that's your thing. It all about how you want to run your car.

There are even some "deviants" that dare to do stuff like switching the fan off(and the power to the Climatronic module) to speed up the time/distance it takes to get the indicated engine coolant temperature up to its normal set point.  This is something that I seem to do, though I also need to switch off my LHS ear to avoid hearing complaints from that side of the car, I also need to remember to disable Stop/Start as the engine will normally switch off at the first time the car becomes stationary.

Now, this might be of interest, to switch the Climatronic system back on and to get the fan to immediately enter Auto speed mode (outlets still controlled my me!), simply adjust the temperature control one click, probably discovered that accidentally - you can switch the Climatronic module and fan back on by turning the fan speed control one click, I've found, at least in a 2015 Polo, that if you turn the fan speed control maybe two or three clicks you end up having taken manual control of the fan speed, which can be annoying if the person in the passenger side seems to realise that the fan is running at  a very slow speed.

If you are not an assertive  person, it would probably be best to avoid playing with these controls!

I only have climate control in my other (non Skoda) car, but I think general principals are the same. When CC is switched on and a temperature is selected, the system sets the temperature, fan speed and outlet (face, face/foot etc) based on ambient conditions. The idea is, as you say, to have a set-and-forget system that will maintain a comfy temperature all year round.

The A/C button is generally left on so the system can de-humidify the air as needed (helps keep foggy windows clear in winter), or cool it in summer. In my car's system, even when I leave the A/C button on, it doesn't actually kick in very often (if at all) when it's cold, so I tend to just leave it on all year round. That said you can turn A/C off altogether if you wish which should save a little on fuel.