start/stop not working?

Gazr

Picked new car yesterday and I can't get the start/stop working. I've never had it before and read through the instructions but I can't figure it out.

Help!!!! Please

Enjoy the car.

Pity the person handing over never went through it with you.

Have you read the Owners Manual?

So is it delivery mileage, just PDi'd?   

Best read up on how it works, and what stops it from, temps, battery demand, A/C on etc, 

and the Light / Warning when it is inhibited.

Sorry should have said it's a new car to me. It's 3 yr old. 

I've ready the manual and it's saying that if the button is lit then it's deactivated so I've not got it activated. The manual say once stopped take out of gear and release the clutch, which I do but nothing happens lol

For the system-dependent automatic engine shutdown to operate, the following conditions must be met.

• The driver's door is closed.
  • The driver has fastened the seat belt.
  • The bonnet is closed.
  • The driving speed exceeded 4 km/h after the last stop.
  • No trailer is coupled.

Some additional conditions for the system to function cannot be either influenced or recognised by the driver. Therefore, the system can react differently in situations which are identical from the driver's view.

If after stopping the car, the message UNABLE TO START STOP appears in the segment display or in the MAXI DOT display the check mark index.91.gif » Fig. 115, then 
the conditions for automatic engine shutdown are not met.

Running the engine is essential, for example, for the following reasons.

• The engine temperature for the proper function of the system has not yet been reached.
  • The charge state of the vehicle battery is too low.
  • The current consumption is too high.
  • High air-conditioning or heating capacity (high fan speed, big difference between the desired and actual indoor temperature).

Operation

In compliance with the operating conditions, automatic engine shutdown / automatic engine start takes place as described.

Automatic engine shut down

• Stop the vehicle.
  • Shift the gear lever to Neutral.
  • Release the clutch pedal.

Automatic engine shutdown takes place, segment display shows START STOP ACTIVE or a check mark appears in the MAXI DOT display index.92.gif » Fig. 115 on 
page 119.

Automatic engine start

• Depress the clutch pedal.

Hope this helps

Owners / Drivers have been disabling stop /start by various measures available....

So if you want to have stop / start best find out if there is a fault, 

if you do not want it maybe leave as is, but find out from the last Registered Keeper if disabled or faulty.

I had the same thing with a 2014 Toledo for several months.

However, it was caused by nothing posted above so far.

Rather, If the AC is selected to windscreen it disables start-stop.

Thanks to whoever found that in a 13/14 Rapid owners manual for me.

Edited by camelspyyder

I'd second the comment above by sandman about the battery not being fully charged.

If the car has not been used much for a few weeks it can take a few long runs before start stop works.

If the car has been left a long time you can even get a message on the display saying "battery low, charge by driving the car."

(message is not verbatim, but the essence of what it says).

I'm find the SS to be hit and miss, not sure why. This morning on my way to work I hit traffic congestion 30 miles into the journey so car was fully warmed up yet stop-start would not activate, even if I toggled the fan on/off (aircon off) however coming home when I had to stop at traffic lights the stop-start worked fine. Note I drive a 1.0 Toledo.  

I think it's weather related (cold) My Toledo doesn't take long to warm up then the stop/start works perfectly but in winter that changes. I've noticed when I expect it to work it doesn't and other times it does.

I was getting worried recently I'm not using my car enough and the battery was losing charge so I put a meter across the battery terminals and sure enough it was showing as needing a charge. I put the trickle charger on and it did the trick, battery fully charged. I then checked the battery after a long run and it was showing fully charged but two days later I checked again, car standing and it was showing it needed a charge. I've come to the conclusion that the battery gets a good deal of use, especially in winter so it will show not fully charged until another decent run.

Going back to the stop/start as mentioned somewhere above this requires a fully charged (or there abouts) battery for this to work efficiently for starters, no pun intended.

BTW my car starts instantly, never struggled so assume battery all good but without a proper check I suppose I won't know that.

A few days without using the Fabia (2015 1.2TSI), well maybe a week or so, and I get this message just after turning the key.

The warning doesn't return after a few short runs, but it needs a few longer journeys before start/stop does it's stuff again.

IMG_20180305_085811.jpg

Edited by johnh510

I've not had chance to give it any longer runs at all yet with the weather so start/stop still not working. Hopefully after a few good long runs out and it should work

Tried all of the above and still not working. 

Not had any warning saying battery is low or anything either. 

Going to call at the garage where I bought the car from today and see if they can take it back and get it fixed. Hopefully they should do it without any payment from myself as I've only had the car 3 weeks and told them about it a few days after I picked it up

The Fabia in my picture above - "charge by driving" - resumed stop/start after a couple of journeys about 40 minutes each the same morning.

That being said the Fabia is a bit over two years old, so the AGM(?) battery is presumably still OK.

Edited by johnh510

We've got a 3yr old rapid so you'd have thought the battery should still be good. Been out again this morning for an hour's and still not working. 

1 hour ago, johnh510 said:

You need to get it back to the garage...

I don't suppose the "stop/start" was knobbled by it's previous owner?

How would you know?

Good luck. I took my brand new '14 back to a franchised dealer and they couldn't make it work either. In fact, I took it in that day for 3 snags I had with my new car and they fixed precisely none. Thanks Horton's...top job - NOT!

Stop start can be disabled by Carista, VCDS, OBDeleven etc. Indeed how would you know if any changes had been made previously? 

I certainly didn't undo any of the changes I'd made to my last one when I traded it in, so I guess the new buyer got all my customisations - apart from the go-faster badges that made it look like a different model - I know the dealer removed them.

Edited by camelspyyder